Arturia MicroFreak

You might be right.

I don’t think Arturia is actively trying to rip off MI, I think it’s just a stupid mistake.
MI should reach out and ask to be more involved in future updates or be removed from Arturia’s website

1 Like

Anyone else appreciate the Wasp design choices?

4 Likes

I think that, if you’re saying you’re collaborating with someone then the profits should be split someway between the collaborators.

The whole “paid in PR” thing sounds like a joke.

It was open source, they could have just used the code and gave credit to Mutable Instruments instead of how they went about it. I guess saying “we collaborated” instead of saying you used their open source software makes it sound better, and sure enough not mentioning it would have came back to them when it was inevitably discovered.

2 Likes

This is bang up my street, Absolute instabuy as far as I’m concerned.

What would be cool is if MI created their own version of this Plaits keyboard that was significantly better than this

1 Like

This would have been so much cooler if Emilie helped develop the code to work better with the hardware, I wonder if the algorithms can even be modulated like the original?

this seems like a lot of fun
props to Arturia for taking a risk and moving beyond their classic analog line
maybe they’ll work on some digital drum machines next

Seriously. Like you didn’t team up you did exactly what clever diy eurorack kids have been doing for effin ever. AND VCV HAS MI APPROVAL. Foh.

This is a complicated situation! On the one hand I am surprised that it took that long before a company implemented Plaits or Braids into a synth. Braids and Plaits are brilliant modules and I like the idea of them being open source products. I started with Reaktor and used the models for a long time before I started my modular system and buying the original modules. She decided to release the code and must have guessed that something like this would happen eventually. BUT Arturia chose the worst way to play this out. Advertising a collaboration although they just took the code and build their own synth around it is a bad move. They should either call it an own development based on MI´s code or revenue her with a percentage of the sales. Most people won´t care so I guess Arturia will suffer no damage from this but for my part I won´t buy this one until they found a way to fix this.

5 Likes

Exactly. How hard is it to write something like: “Because of Mutable Instrument’s generous decision to release all of their hard work under an open source license, we were able to offer 8 additional oscillators models from their Plaits Eurorack module”?

15 Likes

Totally. Like dot’t try to sell it as an exclusive MI partnership cause it ain’t.

And props to the open source approach imo would have been much better PR.

2 Likes

That would be the perfect phrasing for this instance. Doesn’t sully the company’s approach, provides gratitude for MI- and it’s exactly what happened

3 Likes

Woah
That is terrible

Hmm, tough call - it seems that it isn’t a cut and dry case of Arturia deliberately being deceitful but possibly either misunderstanding the terms OR trying (badly) to give props/flattery, as far as I can see.

I don’t believe that Arturia was trying to add the MI name to add prestige to their brand, arguably Arturia are a more known brand so they certainly don’t need a smaller company tie in to bolster their brand.

And since Emilie was invited to give input presumably before the final design, and since from the message quoted doesn’t actually seem that bothered, simply stating that she doesn’t see it as a collaboration then I don’t see why everyone is so upset. Maybe I have missed something though?

Had Arturia done all this without MI prior knowledge or permission then it would be a different matter entirely.

5 Likes

Sounds like the issue is mainly that Emilié isn’t a fan of the end result (and I guess maybe doesn’t want the MI name associated with it? But that is reading between the lines, it sounds like Arturia did at least somewhat the right thing getting her involved)

Personally, to me it doesn’t seem like Arturia have done too much wrong here other than maybe their wording. Doesn’t make me feel like the product needs boycotting and I don’t get the sense that MI want people to do that either… but each to their own of course, and it will be interesting to see how if/how Arturia respond

2 Likes

But didn’t provide input. Therefore not a collab and not something they should use as a selling point.

2 Likes

Right. She’s principled in an unprincipled world and I for one want that kept sacred.

7 Likes

Someone from Mutable over on r/synthesizers saying they knew nothing about this ‘collab’

Fair enough, but is it more of a selling point saying it is a collab? I think what most would consider to be the selling point is the MI tech inside which they would have to mention anyway, right?

I agree that it isn’t correct to call it a collaboration given that Emilie doesn’t consider it so, but was it done deceitfully or did someone at Arturia simply word it badly/get the wrong end of the stick?

I guess it will be interesting to see what happens next.

1 Like