Arturia MicroFreak

Will try that indeed :slight_smile:

Okā€¦
So I have tried every combination of MIDI cables, adaptorsā€¦ It appears there is like a bad contact on the MIDI I/Of the MF: Touching/messing with the MIDI cable results in a bad contact.
Apart from that, when the contact is good, I can send start/stop sequences on MF from KeyStep and DT.
Looks like either a return under warranty either using USB only (which IS a bummer).

1 Like

Definitely an issue with minijack to DIN MIDI adaptors OR the connectic on the MicroFreakā€¦

More findings:

1. while connected by USB through MIDI hub and also to AC adaptor, MF was crashing both KeyStep and Maschine Jam while using Volcas.
  2. removing AC adaptor on MF has gotten rid of the issue (while Arturia advises to use AC adaptorā€¦)
  3. was using a MyVolts adaptor for my 4 Volcas but getting a tremendous ground noise. Back to a regular AC adaptor and it disappearedā€¦ > Actually removing the MicroFreak AC adaptor from the equation has been a solution to this => Back to using MyVolts AC adaptors for the Volcasā€¦

What I am left with is: still cannot use MicroFreak through MIDI. All other synths respond to KeyStep as well as DT. The MicroFreak simply wonā€™tā€¦ I am baffled. Although it receives clock (start/stop) no notes can be triggered from either KeyStep nor Digitaktā€¦

Oddly enough just ran in to this in Reddit. Maybe a solution as I have had issues with these patches and they are pattern driven https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/dwzigu/arturia_microfreak_quick_patch_fixes_michtack_808/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

1 Like

Thanks - This totally fixed my issue. Itā€™s amazing how much the ability to run arps and sequences opens up a synth. I just lost 30 minutes in a blink of an eye after testing out this fix!

2 Likes

Well, in that case I would send it in for repair.
If you bought it second hand I suggest to get in contact with the seller. Maybe he/she is kind and nice and helps with it.

Got in touch with Arturiaā€¦
Now expecting next steps.
Seller has been honest as he could not know issues regarding MIDI (he was only using it as a bass backing track).
MicroFreak has been received like brand new (bought in May 2019) with everything original in the box etcā€¦

2 Likes

If itā€™s any help, my experience with Arturia replacing a malfunctioning Keystep was great - it was the retailer who were slow and unhelpful.

1 Like

Issue nearly sorted :slight_smile:
USB MIDI working fine with Maschine+DT+KeyStep+Volcas(4)+MicroFreak :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Now awaiting DIN MIDI adaptors which should fix MIDI transmission through MIDIā€¦
Really impressed with the sound design possibilities on MicroFreak.

3 Likes

Iā€™m impressed every time I use mine just how much ground it covers. And thatā€™s just in the oscillator parameters!

@Bunker
True enough :slight_smile:
I have not yet listened to all factory presets.
First synth I am more inclined to building my own sounds from scratch really. Though I would be interested in these: https://www.albaecstasy.ro/
Not regretting my purchase at all :slight_smile:
Now looking at Behringer Neutron/Pro1ā€¦

1 Like

Got the Neutron and itā€™s a cracker. I tend to bypass the delay effect via the patchbay as I donā€™t think it adds much. Those oscillators can churn out some wicked tones when you start to play with the waveshaper controls. Canā€™t speak for the Pro One (Iā€™ve got the real thing) but from what Iā€™ve seen it gets very close to the OG. Iā€™m seriously considering one just for convenience. Iā€™d say Neutron will cover more bases but the Pro One does sound good on the YouTube vids Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

And not to mention the upcoming need to hook up all those synths to a digital mixerā€¦
For the moment I have re-discovered my old Mackie VLZ1402 as my MODEL1 is mainly used for Traktor :slight_smile:
Which digital mixer thoughā€¦

1 Like

I just got MF from a fellow naut. Just getting into it but like it so far. Can anyone help with syncing to dfam? I have OT MIDI out to MF midi in and then clock out of MF to DFAM ADV/CLK. only problem is the dfam tempo is super fast. Iā€™m sure itā€™s a setting Iā€™m missing. Cheers

Hey Francis,
Utility > Sync > Clock > set it to ā€œOne Stepā€. That should do the trick !

3 Likes

Iā€™ll try that tonight. Cheers!

Fixed :slight_smile:
Received new DIN MIDI adaptors sent very quickly from Arturia and the issue is fixed :slight_smile:
Really liking the sound design possibilities of this machine.
Impressed.

6 Likes

Glad that you got sorted out. Its a great little synth with a big sound. Iā€™m using it on a tour right now and itā€™s performing very well.

3 Likes

How FAST is program change from DT to MicroFreak :exploding_head::astonished::boom:
Was not expecting that. Very happy.

Does anyone have any experience connecting the Microfreak via a Bluetooth MIDI adaptor? I canā€™t find anything that confirms whether using the Yamaha Bt-01, for example, would work with the Microfreak.

Thanks!