Arturia MicroFreak

Nice. I’ll have to update the firmware and take it for a spin here soon. I was actually considering selling mine due to lack of use. Maybe this update buys it some time. Noise oscillator is a welcome addition.

Do you midi sync the MF to the digitakt?

How do you use it?

i midi sync mine to the Octatrack and either sample it in to the OT or just pay THRU.

I’ve made a video looking at some of the key new features of the new firmware - including a full exploration of the new oscillator along with building a patch with it:

11 Likes

Thanks for the explanation… not jumped on the MF express yet but this certainly improves the case for it. Do you know if the scales and chords modes work from external MIDI? If, for example, it was being sequenced from a DT/DN?

Exactly the question id love clarification on :slight_smile:

The Microfreak is part of my current liveset and I used it on stage a few times in the last month. Yesterday night the keybord stopped working. It was sending random notes and I couldn´t find out the source of trouble. I replaced the power supply and switched to usb power from a power bank to rule out any issued with the venues electricity. Strange thing is that the Microfreak worked a few hours earlier at home and is also working fine now. Sadly I can´t work with unreliable gear like that. :frowning:

1 Like

Strange, could it have been something like the sequencer got triggered with some sort of slice and dice or spice or whatever the randomization parameter thing is called? I don’t own one so just sending a shot out into the dark. Wish I owned one!

No. Keys were not reacting to my input. I double checked all settings and unplugged everything to make sure it was not any other gear sending midi data. My best guess is that the keyboard was not working because the room was so dry. “lick your fingers” is part of the manual´s troubleshooting but it didn´t help. I even spilled some water and rubbed it with a towel, same result.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info Martin

I was going to buy one next week after 2.0 firmware but I think I will get an A4 for now instead.

I agree with you I hate working with unreliable gears

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I’ve gigged with the microfreak and have had no issues… yet.

You could always get one of these if it’s sequenced by something else. Loose the keyboard!

3DWaves Nano Bod For The Arturia MicroFreak Algorithmic Synthesizer

5 Likes

But the sequencer is a real powerhorse, I started to like it. i will write Arturia and ask them about it. i also hope for a minifreak with a standard keyboard.

2 Likes

Absoluteley! I played in rather obscure venues without trouble. Strange that it broke in a gallery yesterday.

1 Like

Not responding to velocity via MIDI in seems like a major oversight? Would be great to have that as a mod source in the matrix.

Edit: Figured it out. Gotta switch “Press mode” to “Velocity” in the Utility menu.

Yes, but the fact that you have to choose between the two is unfortunate.

Cheers!

1 Like

Did the trick for me :slight_smile:

Did you solve the Microfreak issue?

Yes and no. It still works fine. I´d prefer that it would be broken so that I could send it back to Arturia for repair. Now I don´t really know what happened and under which conditions it will happen again .

I tried the “lick your fingers” trick but it was no help.

Thank you for feedback, I am still not convinced about Arturia quality in general, despite MF being a good synth, I found Arturia manufacturing quite approximative across all products.

1 Like