Arturia MicroFreak

The neutron doesn’t have a built in sequencer that I know of (if it does I wish I knew about it when I owned one!)

Yes, sorry if I wasn’t clear on this, I meant just the Crave has a sequencer. I have a Neutron too and it would still be a good choice as long as it can be sequenced elsewhere. :smiley:

7 Likes

Last night I discovered that you also can plock the goddamn thing! After months it still not ceases to amaze me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

New FREE MicroFreak Soundbank :slight_smile:

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/microfreak/sounds?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-04-23-soundbanks-april&utm_content=cta-pads

4 Likes

Just tried inputting 16 triggers on a 1 bar on Digitakt MIDI track along with a program change (to MicroFreak) on each step: program change is lightning fast on MicroFreak.

5 Likes

No problem at all? Even on a long run?

Not once during half an hour :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good news. Thank you for testing it. Very appreciated!

1 Like

Whaaaaat??! I’m so looking into this right now! The microfreak is such an amazing beast, still in honey moon phase with this synth after 6 months. It’s an all sweetspot synth with a deceptively simple design and yet quite deep in synthesis despite the limitations.

1 Like

With an Elektron Sequencer or by itself?

On the microfreak itself. From the manual:

13.2.1. Step-time recording of modulation

To record modulation in step time:

• Select the sequence into which you want to record events.
  • Make certain “play” is off and turn on step recording by pushing the record button.
  • Turn the Sequencer Rate knob until you are on the first step of the sequence, or select another step in the sequence if that’s where you want to add events.
  • Now turn a knob you want to record. While turning the knob nothing will be recorded, but you monitor what is happening. Once you’ve found a knob position that you want to record, let go of the knob. MicroFreak will take a snapshot of the knob and store it with the step.
  • Turn the Sequence Rate knob to the next step and move the same knob to another position you want to record. Continue to do this until you’ve filled every step with a snapshot.
5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, you can edit the sequencer steps in every thinkable way in step recording mode. Plock, transpose etc.

1 Like

The wicked bonus:
Start an Arp
Mess around with Spice
You can then export this as a sequence (Shift+A/B)
The only way to actually grab the Spice function.

3 Likes

Have been spending hours on this thing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep
Only Volume and preset selector cannot be “p-locked”

Sometimes i start jamming and wind up with the spice and dice taking me to some really cool rhythmic variations and i’ve been wondering how to recreate them without being stuck with a static recording, i think you’ve just helped me write a bunch of music.

1 Like

I had a microfreak for a little bit. Reading this stuff makes me realize I didn’t give it a fair chance. Rock on

2 Likes

I am in the process of making patches for the MicroFreak.
If anyone is interested, I will put them here for download :slight_smile:

7 Likes