Arturia MicroFreak

Just got mine yesterday. It can go wild pretty easily. Got it primarily as a source of samples for my MS but I’m now thinking that I might aswell dedicate one MS midi track to the microfreak to make use of the arp and motion sequencing.

Would be keen to hear your patches too.

1 Like

The more I use it, the more I love it! And there is so much more to do and learn…

Tried sampling the Microfreak wavetable onto the EPS 16 Plus a few months ago. Never knew such craziness was possible.

1 Like

Something cool that I haven’t seen mentioned - if you assign arp/seq clock rate as a mod destination and use the Microfreak as your master MIDI clock, you will get modulated clock speed on other devices as well. Pressure to clock isn’t quite as fun as I hoped, but keytrack to clock gets pretty funky and ramp LFO to clock is instant Mark Fell!

I’m hoping I can loop the OT back to the freak MIDI in so I can sequence this without anything crashing - we will see.

9 Likes

I know this is an old thread but Ive been looking for a decent MF case that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. I think I found something and wanted to contribute to the search. I found this case made by LTGEM on Amazon for $30 that fits the MF perfectly (with some extra room for cables, adapters, etc). It has foam padding, and a comfortable handle with double zippers. Its not a flight/hard case (which is fine for me because I don’t take my MF out of the house much). The bottom half of the shell has a velvet like grey material. The foam padding on the top presses down onto the controls when you shut it but I figured its better that way to hold it in place. These were originally made to carry DJ controllers but I looked at the internal measurements and figured the MF would fit. (They sell many other cases different shapes and sizes - Im currently looking for a case for my MC-101 and my Empress Zoia :slight_smile:

LGEM also have their own web store at https://ltgemstore.com

8 Likes

More pictures of this case at this link.

Really feel like devices that can free up tempo rigidity are the next way to go. Much more interesting than generative stuff imo

1 Like

I just got a MF and would be interested to check out any patches you want to share…
cool little machine so far, lots of possibilities in there.

1 Like

Will post here once I build a few more patches :slight_smile:

Been having a lot of fun with this little synth. Nice to have something to play chords on, even if it is paraphonic and not true poly. I’ve been tweaking all the presets to my own taste, and re-saving. Hoping to build a few patches of my own from scratch this week. The keys are definitely a unique interface that takes some getting used to, but I’m starting to get the “feel” of em. Sounds quite nice once you add a little reverb. I’ve been running mine thru the El Capistan and getting nice results. Not a bad little machine for the price…

still saving up for the Hydrasynth tho.

nice demos.

7 Likes

Here you go:

Pacth Library Vasidudu.mfprojz (90.6 KB)

5 Likes

thanks! I look forward to checking em out…

1 Like

As always, a little reverd/delay will help on MicroFreak.

Anyone else having issues with aftertouch when using the scale function? As soon as I set a scale certain keyboard notes won’t react to pressure…

Are those notes not part of the selected scale ?

just checked… not having that issue. is it happening on all patches or a particular one?

finally got my hands on one… lots of fun
the output is a bit too quiet for my taste (even turning the preset volume to 12) but so far I really like it’s features and intuitiveness

1 Like

How much low end does this thing put out? Is it good for bass sounds?

I’ve only used mine via headphones and it can be very ‘rumbly’. via both hd25’s and some aiai modular headphones… so it may be coloured a bit by the headphones but i think it can do bass.

slightly annoying, got mine from Juno but it came with 2 pin euro lead.
can easily be swapped but the end that plugs into PSU is 3 pin butterfly (not like chunky kettle lead or 2 pin one) …
1st world problem i know…