Arturia Minifreak - 6-voice hybrid synth with 37 keys and FX engine

It does look like fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck explaining to him that his big brother has just been born

6 Likes

Like Vincent’s relationship with Anton

(Sorry, this was a reference to a long forgotten scifi movie called Gattaca- i just love the movie too much to not make that reference)

5 Likes

Can you use the minifreak as a midi controller - basically replacing a keystep? Minus cv/gate, it seems to have most capabilities, im just not sure if some features like choosing scale etc work on the midi out or not

Same question here. I have a keystep37 and planned to buy a Microfreak. With this minifreak I asked myself if it could replace both.

I’m sure he doesn’t mind as long as they can play together and playing, they definitely will

1 Like

I haven’t tested it as a midi controller yet. I’m guessing it outputs note data from the sequencer/arp and the knobs probably send cc info but without a manual I’m not 100% sure. Assuming it does output midi info, it could probably replace a keystep 37. It would definitely not be a replacement for the Keystep pro though with the four full featured sequencer tracks on the pro.

1 Like

See above comment. Also, I just took a peak and it does have a local control on/off parameter, customizable knob settings as well as some other sequencer related stuff so it looks like it does do everything a keystep 37 would.

If you get around to testing scales via midi that would be greatly appreciated. No biggie if midi isn’t your thing or accessible, I’m sure as others get theirs we will know. I’m tempted to go to guitar center near me and see if I can get lucky as well

1 Like

I went to guitar center after reading this thread and they randomly had one left in stock despite not listing them as available on the website.

Just started playing with it now, it sounds great! Excited to explore it more, it’s a nice companion for the microfreak!

4 Likes

Managed to do the same thing - stock seems super low, but grabbed one. I also have an explorer if anyone really wants a comparison but it’s silly.

Disappointed that the plug-in isn’t ready yet. Having that hybrid workflow between my office and home was a big selling point so hopefully it drops soon.

It’s a very immediate synth to play. Sure, it’s not as deep in tweaking the oscillators (kind of like an op-1 vibe with curated controls) but the selection of options is pretty deep and what you can do with it between the two slots, filters and mods is pretty swell.

The effects are decent but I wouldn’t live off of them - the whole thing definitely has that “playful” feel and I’d say the best comparison between these two tiny synths is the Minifreak is best for playing and discovering- I accidentally made a killer kick drum from a pad….

The HS is for sound design. Taking your time and dialing in a perfect sound over a broader palette.

Both are competently 500.00 synths. Both should be ashamed that they’re not bus powered. Wall warts make me cry. It’s time for us all to move to usb c for everything.

Having a lot of fun. Trying to decide which one is going to live at work with me.

1 Like

Got a Minifreak at GC yesterday and traded in a Microfreak for it. The Minifreak makes the Microfreak obsolete for how I intend to use it. Looking forward to the Minifreak V plugin being released. First impressions are that it’s really fun and immediate to use just like the Microfreak but with more power and depth. Can’t wait to see what Jexus does with it. Both the Minifreak and Hydrasynth Explorer are great synths with different workflows and strengths.

1 Like

Both should be ashamed that they’re not bus powered. Wall warts make me cry. It’s time for us all to move to usb c for everything

Simple workaround, use a Birdcord 12V, with a power bank, I have had a Minifreak running with a fully charged 1000mAh bank for 5+ hours, with minimal power drain. Which I would expect, as it is digital - not analog, so the amount of power consumption is really low in comparison to an analog device.

You are right tho, I am not sure why USB power and a built in lithium ion power source was not added, seems like it would make this that much more portable.

Initial thoughts: Sounds lush, and definitely a progression of the Microfreak. There are some things missing, like the ability to able to switch presets, patches, and hold the sequence or arpeggiator, didn’t the Microfreak have that capability ? Missing some of the oscillators, vocoder for example.

This is pretty nice digital synth, the body, dimensions seems very much like the Arturia Beatstep Pro. I don’t have a HyrdaSynth Explorer, but I do have a Sequential Take 5, the 2 of them, are small, and more portable. I really like the filter on the Take 5, and I like the Minifreak filter.

I suspect the number of firmware upgrades, and the patches that will be available for some time, will improve a pretty nice synth. with a vibrant community. It’s almost like buying a platform.

I am going to sell my Digitone Keys. I didn’t jell with it, the sound is too cold, clinical as compared to the Take 5. I have been thinking a lot about the Analog Rytmn MKII tho. But with the Sequential Take 5, and the Minifreak, I have enough voices to keep me occupied for some time.

I am really glad I picked up the Arturia Minifreak, great synth so far.

4 Likes

Totally agree on the birdcord. It still hurts my heart. I’m also still sitting with an iphone in my pocket and am equally grumbly that it took the EU punching them in the nose to finally move to usb c. I’m getting older and reading the output of all of these wall warts is getting harder. It’s a pet peeve.

Love your thoughts on the synth. I’d love to see them do the korg thing and open the oscillators up to additional algos. I don’t think the “three parameters” per osc is a problem.

This is all we get on a prophet 6, and it’s a beast.

Really enjoying it. I ended up bringing the hyrdasynth to work because it’s got a great cc implementation and so as the only tiny synth on my desktop there it’s a bit more of a general use piece, but man, the minifreak is so immediate to get wonderful sounds from.

Took me a minute to figure out how to set the assignable matrix slots, but not having a manual is kinda fun. Forcing me to really play with it.

1 Like

Can anyone with one please test midi capabilities? Would love to replace my key step 37 with one. Just want to make sure it can work as a midi keyboard while being able to use the scale mode

Affirmative.
I tried both 5 point DIN, and the USB-A to USB-C, into OP1-Field.
Works without issue, the arpeggiators and sequencers work, coming from the Arturia Minifreak as well.

2 Likes

The sounds from the Minifreak, sound waaaaay better than the OP1-Field synth engines BTW, lol. But I don’t want to pollute this thread with hate posts on Teenage Engineering and the overpriced-for-what-it-deliveres opines :wink:

Thank you for testing. Just to confirm, using scales mode on mini freak translates to midi as well? Meaning I can put it on C Minor for example and playing the keyboard on mini freak will only play C minor notes across midi to other synths?

1 Like

Yes, confirmed Major and Minor, and Chromatic scales MIDI out from Minifreak through USB MIDI.
the MIDI config menu (hold SHIFT+SOUND/EDIT, scroll through to the MIDI settings) configures MIDI, IN, OUT, there is also for Seq/Arp.

You could replace the Keystep 37, with a MiniFreak, the sequencers are different though, there isn’t the Strum/ Chord mode, thats a nice feature of the Keystep 37 IMO.

I don’t think there is any difference from the Keystep 37, Beatstep Pro - 37 Key bed and the Minifreak. It appears that it’s the same.

Having the ability to long term borrow a Beatstep Pro, and having to return it, it’s almost the same physical size, and body construction.

The casing is hard plastic, the bottom plate is a black painted metal. it’s solidly built. It’s not as premium as the Digitone Keys (which has an upmarket FATAR* TP9S keybed), nor as the Sequential Take 5, or Prophet (duh) . but for ~$600, its what you would expect.

It’s the type of synth, where you might want something that is dirty, experimental, glitchy, quirky, but sounds good. I was thinking about picking up a Twisted MegaFM prior to Minifreak, and am happy I went with the Arturia. Although if they released a module/ desktop version that would be a plus.

4 Likes

that is awesome. I dont use the chord mode anyways, so thats not a big loss for me. Looks like I will be grabbing one!