Arturia Minifreak - 6-voice hybrid synth with 37 keys and FX engine

I haven’t used the 37 with the microfreak, so I’m not sure what the problem is. Have you tried switching your 3.5mm midi converter cable? I couldn’t get my microfreak to work with my digitakt with one converter cable, so I switched it out for the one that came with the microfreak and it worked fine after that.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s probably a Type A vs Type B connector thing.

2 Likes

Anyone got a release date yet?

As someone who loves the microfreak I could get why someone feels this way. A nice VST or something like the MM2 is probably a lot better for “bread and butter” type sounds. The microfreak’s strength imo is when you really play into the “freak” aspect with heavy sequencing, doing crazy stuff with the mod matrix and cycling envelopes, swapping between engines in one patch, etc etc. It’s a happy accident powerhouse if resampling and chopping is a big part of your sound design workflow and you’re looking for strange and abstract sounds. If not, there are much “prettier” sounding synths in the same price range. This is also why I love it, though. I have plenty of synths that sound nice. The microfreak gets very weird very fast, and that’s its strength. Definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.

10 Likes
2 Likes

Gaaaah, Does the MiniFreak sound great or wot ??!!!
I cannot wait to get my hands on this synth :slight_smile:

1 Like

That Prophet VS sounds great.

4 Likes

I hope that the MicroFreak will be updated with some of the new MiniFreak features such as the digital filters, including the comb filter.

Prophet definitely sounds more analogue and probably “better” with these comparisons but I’m not necessarily interested in these sounds. I’m really interested in the mini freak and would love to hear some of the crazier sounds you can get from it. I think comparing it to a prophet might be missing the point a bit. I think the reviewer understands this and is just doing this for fun to see how it might compare but still. I’d be willing to drop 600 on this synth to test it out. I think it has potential.

2 Likes

I hate to say it. But I can see myself purchasing a minifreak in the near future.

I think its everything I’ve ever wanted in a synth thanks to the VST accompaniment. For years I’ve wanted a proper hardware interface to a versatile VST. This is it.

I’ve got my composition workflow with Renoise- it just feels good to compose in, personally.

With Elektron Boxes it feels good to sound design in, but a pain to compose any proper composition.

But minifreak + renoise + the VST might be a match made in heaven for me.

9 Likes

Well shit. Local GC got a couple in stock so I traded a couple things in for this bad boy. I’m looking forward to comparing it with my ambika.

1 Like

Interestingly, the freak wasn’t listed in stock at guitar center but I happened to be buying some cables when I saw it on the shelf. I got home to find no user manual available yet so I’m wondering if they put it out a bit prematurely.

Anyway, first impressions are:

1. Build quality is similar to the keystep pro. Nice heavy body. The key bed feels very close to the ksp (it’s probably the same). I like the orange felt along the back of the keys as a random aesthetic touch. Knobs all feel pretty good.

2. With no manual it’s pretty straightforward for all of the general features. Assigning non fixed modulation is easy (hold assign button and turn knob of destination parameters).

3. Midi clock seem to be fine for my uses.

4. Not having a dedicated filter adsr env is a little disappointing but it seems like there are plenty of modulations alternatives and with all of the osc/sound engines, you get get a ton of motion pretty easy.

5. I don’t really have a need for the plug in but it seems as though it’s not available yet. The arturia page lists the manual and installers as coming soon.

6. The screen automatically goes to sleep after some time. I appreciate that as a must have feature.

7. So…it’s an interesting and unique synth in my two hours or so of playing it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I understand the desire to have hardware integration with VSTs just like on the Korg wavestate, opsix, etc. and a host of other hardware synths with external editors.

I hate to say it. But Renoise is capable of sequencing external MIDI hardware.

So it already works with Elektron boxes. Or almost anything else you want to connect it to.

This is just what the doctor ordered… :nerd_face:
I told my MicroFreak that his brother is coming home soon.

Yeah, I’ve sequenced hardware with Renoise before. I just like the concept of having a dedicated hardware controller for proper sound design while having the limitless capability of a VST.

Don’t need the hardware to continue working on thr track

If memory serves, the opsix native doesn’t have AS dedicated control of the VST like the minifreak does.

I’ll have to investigate this, because- if so, then I don’t need the minifreak at all because the opsix is a perfect synth imo

1 Like

The korg synths sadly have no hardware integration in their software counterparts.

The roland acb synths do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely heartbreaking

1 Like

Sounds created with opsix or opsix native can be used in common with each other, transcending hardware and software boundaries and allowing the sounds to be enjoyed in a variety of environments.

Sound exchange is done via the opsix Sound Librarian. For detailed instructions on how to use the opsix Sound Librarian, please refer to the user’s manual that comes with the opsix Sound Librarian

1 Like

At least patches can be shared between the software and the hardware.

1 Like

Yeah…I guess at that point there’s HARDLY a difference between complete integration and patching(outside of automation)