Audio Interface Recommendations

What’s the max driver ?

an autocorrect accident!

Should have been Mac driver :desktop_computer:

I am a big fan of the Audient ID Interfaces, they sound great are affordable and expandable via ADAT.

1 Like

I’ve had my first audio interface for a while now: the new Motu M6. I thought I’d do a brief write-up, since I really like it.

I had postponed getting an interface for a long time since I didn’t often use a DAW, sent my audio directly to my monitors, and thus never really understood how interfaces worked or what to get.

I’m super glad I got the Motu M6, because it’s very understandable and accessible from the front panel. No need to use any routing software, every option has its own button or knob. Direct monitoring is great and accessible for when I don’t run my DAW. Otherwise there’s a mix knob for blending Monitor/Daw, or you just disengage al direct-monitor buttons.

It’s never failed or glitched on my Mac Air 16gb Intel. It sounds completely detailed, transparent, no-noise. It runs on a power supply or via USB-C. It has enough inputs for my use (2x for Syntakt, 2x for all other voices on a Mackie Mixer, 2x for Reverb). I also love the additional output pair, and the two headphone outputs, great to have for occasional resampling and stuff.

Compared to Motu Ultralite Mk5 (its contender when I chose this one), it’s cheaper, it has better front panel access, runs without power supply, has same quality, and has more XLR pres if you like them.

I’ve learned since then that trying to combine an audio interface and Overbridge at the same time will give you only problems. I read about it, but now have experiences indeed that I never have got that to work properly. Maybe there are solutions, but just to know when you go the same route for the first time. Because of this, you might need more inputs than expected (when running multiple Elektrons and not being able to use OB). In which case the Ultralite Mk5 would be the better choice. It also has the benefit of future expandability through that port it has that M6 doesn’t have. (for ADATs or something?) And the ULmk5 has the internal fx stuff that could be great for EQing some inputs and stuff.

Hope this helps - I wrote it for people like me 6 months ago. If you’re interested in a great first interface and not want to go full out expensive but want some spare options, I think the M6 is great!

Cheers!

7 Likes

I’ve tested this with the ULmk5 in multiple ways and I did manage to get everything work just fine in ableton, the best result is achieved with a midi channel sending midi from External Instrument to OB plugin that is not synced, then an audio channel recording audio either from OB or from the external instrument channel, it comes with as little as ~2-6ms of latency which is great result overall.
but after all the testing I came to agreement with myself that I prefer recording from the interface ins for reasons like consistent gain between the monitoring and recording, not losing the original feel of what was recorded in the first place, etc.
also the inputs on the ULmk5 (which are the same as the M6 I believe) are really great, very clean.

2 Likes

Is there a small tb3/4 interface with 4x mono in? ideally the size would be 15x15 cm? mac mini size ideally ?

Thanks for the review. I chose the Ultralike Mk5 (UL) and am also quite satisfied. The soundcard is awesome and no comparison to my behringer umc404, which i‘ve used before. I use the DC coupled outputs of the UL to send clock to my modular and from there to my Analog Rytm. So master clock goes from DAW (ableton) to modular (CV) to Rytm (Midi). I‘m experiencing 0 midi jitter this way and the recording latency is so low that I can easily live record on the go.
I cannot mention the audio quality often enough tho it was mindblowing to me how clean my rytm and modular sound through the interface!
Only downside to me is that the UL only has 3 push knobs, one of which controls on/off + main/headphone volume. That one is wearing off really quickly and i hope it won’t stop working anytime soon…

1 Like

Interesting

Same for me, for various reasons I for the time being prefer recording it al through my interface instead of using OB, even if I loose all the individual tracks.

1 Like

I think I’ll go for an M6 as well, though I don’t really like rear inputs only, and the lack of digital connexions. It seems simple and as good as some of the finest AD/DA converters on the market, with a better latency than my trusted iD14. RME is maybe even better (and that’s to be proved), but too much expensive nowadays (crazy price rising for a BF for example).

The new RME UFX3 will be available early March ('23) for those who have been waiting. I’ve been ready to pull the trigger on a Lynx Aurora (N), but I’m waiting to see what the UFX3 looks like first.

1 Like

RME it’s the best you can get, if you’re not willing to pay for top notch, mastering level conversion (like Lynx, Burl, Merging, etc.). However, RME is not cheap.

If you want something cheaper, I’d take a look at MOTU Ultralite Mk5 or the new (still to be thoroughly reviewed) SSL 12.

3 Likes

I was able to try the Fireface UCX 2& the Motu UL mk5 at my local musicstore and honestly didn‘t hear a difference. Bith are top notch. The seller mentioned that the RME might last a bit linger tho

It will. Specially because RME will keep it updated forever.

That’s the biggest difference between RME and the rest. You can find other interfaces with the same conversion quality, but nothing is so reliable.

4 Likes

only RME :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just got the umc404hd for the ipad, using cck and power bank but when I first plug it in the power light flashes on and off and it makes a clicking sound. I then take out the cck cable put in again a few times more and it starts working again. Am I missing something??

Great mistake

Haha thanks, it was cheap, looking for a 4 input interface that will work on ipad is tricky, would like 4 mic/guitar in and have it run off a power bank,any recommendations? Must not be so expensive

MOTU M4, Bus powered and class compliant. I had an issue though using a USB hub and the iPad with the M4. Interface wasn’t detected when connected through hub as though it wouldn’t go into class compliant mode. I bought an M6 two weeks ago and it does work through the hub. It has a dedicated power supply which is why I bought it.

2 Likes

After years of happy marriage with the iD14, I bought a Motu M6 which is a step above. More I/O, excellent built construction, great sound quality and clarity, ease of installation and a different form factor than the Audient. The drivers are better, which is the only downside of Audient interfaces.

1 Like