Audio Interface Recommendations

Motu UL mk5 suits my needs for 10 jack outs. Been solid since getting this.

Ul mk3 gave me driver issues on windows (known issue, never fixed)

I have a Motu M2 portable interface and an RME in my studio. Mac M1 Pro.

The RME is rock solid while the Motu can disconnect at times. Both are great for their function though. If you want a studio solution, IMO RME is the king. You just never have to worry about it failing and the sound is excellent. For a small portable interface, I really like Motu.

3 Likes

I use a UMC404HD with my iPad Pro and it works fine for 4 in 4 out for live fx/drambo BUT it will only work when powered via it’s own PSU. It either doesn’t work at all or is glitchy when powered over USB from iPad OR from my powered USB hub. So I doubt it would work nicely with a power bank as you’ve seen.

Not sure why that is - suspect voltage is too low perhaps? Not checked the specs of PSU vs other means.

There’s a new driver for the RME as recently, I’d had some oddness with MacOS and M1 (not limited to the RME of course, can happen even with default mac speakers) and it’s more stable.

Oh nice, thanks for posting that. I should grab that update just to stay on top of those. Are you on Ventura or Monterrey? I have not updated my OS to Ventura yet.

I bought the RME Babyface Pro several years ago, and it has been doing its job consistently since, with zero hiccups. It is utilitarian in the best way. The unsung hero of all my gear.

I did buy the Behringer ADA8200 with the Midas preamps for more inputs and outputs, but later I found it to be redundant. I felt like I needed more in the beginning, but 4 in/outs are sufficient for a single person producer.

guilty_look

1 Like

4 in/outs are sufficient for a single person producer.

Forgot to mention, but Overbridge makes that possible.

1 Like

damn, you beat me to my follow up.
but honestly, I really think 4 in/outs are sufficient for a single person, even without Overbridge. Dealing with more than 4 ins at the same time could become logistically complicated and time consuming.
If you have multiple synths and want to record at the same time, I feel like it would be much more simple to route that through a mixer and record its 2 outs. But yeah, YMMV

1 Like