Bad Gear

Elektronauts Chapter 12 verse 16.

“And it was given unto them on this day in March the glory of the slice upgrade, and this was bequeathed unto them.
yea they saw that it was good, but their countenance had fallen, as the start-point adjustment was without.”

9 Likes

Yo @FlynnTaggart, what’s your hot take on this?

:rofl::vulcan_salute::muscle::fist:

1 Like
3 Likes

I really enjoy these videos because he does such a good job of taking the piss while also pointing out legit pros and cons of these devices that don’t simply echo a lot of the senseless flaming they get. Like the TB-3. As ugly and obtuse as it looks, it’s fucking dope. But you wouldn’t get that from reading early reviews.
His opinions of the AS-1 are pretty spot on too. When I had one, I ultimately traded it because of how annoying it was to sequence with other gear, and wasnt too much of chore to deactivate the internal sequencer, but if I remember it correctly, had to do it everything I turned it on. Sounds amazing though, and I still miss it.

4 Likes

I guess ‘brilliant gear but with some potentially deal-breaking quirks’ would be a bit of a mouthful of a title.

1 Like

Despite the “Frankenstein” nature of the box, this one comes out smelling pretty good.

Truth is, the Mono Station was my “gateway drug” into Elektrons because of its patch-flipping sequencer and the more direct real-time control over parameters. I wanted more of THAT, so I tried the Digitone and got hooked on the “Elektron Way”.

3 Likes

Ha! I’ll have to watch the video later as I usually like this guy’s whole schmeal but at the moment I’m having a laugh at “What went wrong?”. Absolutely nothing! Mono Station is brilliant. A modern classic.

2 Likes

I’ve been searching for a mono station since seeing this video and finally found one! The BS2 AFX mode was my gateway the digitone, it’s cool to basically have that in a sequencer made to use it instead of buried in keyboard combos

2 Likes

This “Bad Gear goes to superbooth to distribute framed cringe memes to synth manufacturers” is one of those ideas that should have stayed on the living room table.

This is not Bad Gear, This is just bad. Sorry friend, I’m usually with you but this time the worst gear in this showing is the video concept.

4 Likes

Oh no!

The whole Fors crew! Are we bad gear?

12 Likes

your camera resolution may be questioned in the police line up.

1 Like

I actually liked that video. He even recorded a track while being there. I don’t know how he finds the time to do all the editing but he somehow found a way.

3 Likes

It could have worked better had he had more positive responses. He needed to edit out the polite smiles and confusion. The Nick Batt meme ratings were kind of fun. I wanted to see more of him trying to play his theme song with his portable rig and new gear. Kind of like taking coals to Newcastle, but it’s at least audacious.

5 Likes

There were some not so polite smiles as well.

Never get in the van with teenage engineering.

4 Likes

I fucking loved it.

I love it when people make other people feel really fucking awkward and there’s that weird sort of silence.

I feed on that shit.

12 Likes

who was making who feel awkward though? I think there was more vinegar in the salad dressing than he anticipated.

I don’t give a shit, I’m a big fan of vinegar.

3 Likes

I am a little worried about the Law of Conservation of Shit here.

15 Likes

Yeah some of the interactions felt awkward, especially the teenage engineering one.

but I think the end with the jams was dope and overall it wasn’t the worst thing.

1 Like