Behringer 2600

Quite liking how Synthtopia.com are using the word “knockoffs” to describe these in their report. All native English speakers understand that “knockoff” doesn’t really mean the same as “clone” or “tribute” … it implies something else entirely… :joy:

2 Likes

Same for me. If there was a set of feature differences between the two it might be easier.
I guess it really is just about choosing color of faceplate and LED.

Are they actually “white” LEDs that look yellow in the video ?
I do like that you can adjust theIr intensity though.

1 Like

Woa, updated versions (or mk2’s for a better term?) before the mk1’s are even for sale. That’s a first?

Not 100%, to be honest. Hopefully they are white.

The $599 Barp 2600 already has most of the extras found on the seperate 3260 keyboard - extra LFO, portamento.

And it already has ‘the dual filter, another LFO, VCO sync, USB MIDI’, so are the only changes for the $699 Blue Marvin/Gray Meanie the new paint, spring reverb, and unicolor LED faders? Curious about ‘high-grade components for improved performance’.

I bet those unicolor LEDs are less expensive than the multicolor LEDs, but the hardware spring reverb adds a bit (though isn’t the original’s digital reverb just a chip on the PCB?). $100 more. I like the blue. Would go well in a rack with a Vermona Perfourmer MK2.

3 Likes

this is all pretty hilarious, really… typically you would wait until you’ve actually released a version and it’s been out in the wild for a while, before releasing the “limited one” with “better components.” for one, doing it now means you have people with pre-orders going “wtf!?!” and scrambling to change them. and for two, if you’d done it in six months or a year after the first is released, you likely get people buying both.

100% they only announced these now because of Korg’s 2600m announcement.

11 Likes

The blue one. It’s got to be the blue one. I’m glad they went with the unicolour leds. Personal taste but I’m not a fan of the multi colour ones. I’ve got an early Bodyssey with the all white leds and I much prefer them.

2 Likes

I’m not sure on their motivations. I think there will be a decent sized group that doesn’t mind the colored LEDs, and doesn’t care about a real spring though. We’ll see.

I’m a blue person though. Never committed to the original because I wanted to see if they’d do a blue one. :smiley:

B2600 vs. vintage 2600 - FIGHT!

I actually preferred this guy’s B2600 tones to the Blue/Gray whatever demo video tones. Jmo…

1 Like

The side by side for the ‘standard model’ vs the Blue/Gray model would be very helpful right now to compare virtual and real spring reverb, and hear what/any difference the improved components make. A hundred bucks isn’t a lot but maybe i’d actually prefer the sound of the ‘standard model’.

Maybe i just flip a coin ?

In your position, I too would want a side-by-side comparison - preferably done by somebody who knows how to dial up tones that flatter the Blue/Gray model(s) more.

That dude in the Blue/Gray intro managed to dial up generic sounding tones. Maybe it’s a special skill. I think with some effort I could make my Matriarch sound just as generic and bland.

2 Likes

It’s definitely in the patching/programming. There’s also the fact that there are millions of ways to arrive at most analog sounds these days. So it takes something amazing, or just excellent context to make something stand out. I think all 2600 incarnations are basically good sounding synths, and they have a cool interface, flexibility, etc. However, I don’t think they’re going to stand out on their own to the degree that many people expect in an internet demo. If you’re looking for something that sounds like an old ARP, I don’t think that’s too much to expect from the Behringer, and original ARP, a TTSH, or the Korg. They’re all going to do it. Now, if you want to be blown away, an artist/user is going to have to do it. Or you’ll have to do it yourself as that artist.

6 Likes

For me, I won’t generally (maybe sometimes :smiley: ) be using the 2600 for generic bass, lead type duties like what’s going on in most of the videos. It’s going to be quite a while until I can build myself another 4U modular because I’m backed up with some custom work and a couple of repair items for people. I’m planning to use the 2600 as a nice little stand-in for modular duties, and maybe some occasional basics as well.

I have mono synths that can easily make analog basses and leads. I have a a few poly synths to cover other ground, including the Hydra which just about covers everything anyway. The 2600 is going to be my experimental analog box until I build another modular. Then maybe it will move back into more classic territory at that point.

I actually think it’s kinda silly to use a 2600 for bread and/or butter sounds in the first place these days. Just my point of view though :smiley:

Edit: Actually, on further thought, the 2600 does make an excellent bass synth. Maybe not enough to kick my other monos out, but I could see using it for this when it’s not doing more experimental “patched up” sorts of things. :smiley:

5 Likes

This is where I have fun, making a full song on one synth. Overdubbing many many tracks :grinning:

I’m looking forward to using the B2600 to make a few songs

3 Likes

Still not sure what their specific meaning is with better components. Seems they’re referring to the OG units and that the B2600s are all the same internally with exception of the spring.

maybe this time with Robs Mods from all years before :space_invader:

I always appreciate finding some of these non-spectacular videos. It helps a lot from GAS driven thoughts that this new box will automatically gift you spectacular sounds and creativity.

Does anyone know where the limited editions can be preordered? With such a small run are the doing some kind of lottery system?

I’ve read a lot of posts about the Behringer Blue and Gray being limited editions, but reading what Behringer said i’ve not seen that at all.

What Behringer Wrote:

Featuring carefully selected high-grade components for improved performance, a mechanical spring reverb and unicolor fader LED’s, the Behringer Blue Marvin and Gray Meanie look back at the rarest first editions of the 2600 that was released in 1971.

We further added some very useful features such as a dual filter, an additional LFO, VCO syncs, USB MIDI, and much more.

Rumoured that only 25 Blue Marvin’s and 35 Gray Meanie’s were ever made, these modern-day and authentic recreations bring you closer than ever before to these rarities that have always been so out of reach. This time, at a price within reach.”

This talks about what ARP did back in the day, not about what Behringer is doing now.

So did I miss something, is there somewhere else where Behringer says they are going to limit the production of the Blue and the Gray ? Could someone point me to that ?

Look at the announcement YouTube video - it is titled Behringer 2600 Blue/Gray Limited Edition