Behringer RD-9

Ok pedant.
You know what I mean though.

The jomox-xbase 09 is IMO a great emulator of the 909, just a little wider sound range, but the kit functionality allows you to save kits that work really well.

1 Like

There is something compelling for me knowing that a sound is being generated by actual analogue circuits, feels like Iā€™m holding lightning caught in a bottle. I wouldnā€™t discount the emotional aspect of an analogue instrument. Not only that, the resolution of these analogue synths is basically infinite, and the interactions between the circuits are so complex and beautiful. I donā€™t believe that any digital recreation of a filter has even approached the same depth of sound as something like Korgā€™s Traveller filter with the very long sliders. You can play for hours and never take your hands off the high and low sliders, it is almost a spiritual experience! You can really ride right up to the edge of chaos and hear it wobbling and vibrating and morphing. Truly alive, versus some code thatā€™s approximating the behaviors and interactions in a way that sounds similar.

Digital is awesome and digital emulations are really cool and have their own vibe, but itā€™s just not correct to pit one up against the analogue equivalent and say ā€œTheyā€™re the same!ā€

2 Likes

totally agree - just not one made by Behringer - a soulless clone, a void pretending to be something it isnā€™t.

Itā€™s undeniable thereā€™s a ā€˜magicā€™ in the original Roland circuitsā€¦ or the SCI circuitsā€¦ or Moog circuitsā€¦ etc etcā€¦ But this magic doesnā€™t reside (IMHO ) in a cheap knock-off facsimile.

My opinions are my own, based on my own experiences using said gear.

yes, I never said the 101 & 707 had ACB, they have Zen-Core, I was referring to the other ACB-products

never had any doubt :wink:

@xmit. Well I would not buy any new Analog gear anymore today then, including Elektron.

As one of Behringerā€™s subsidiary companies is a major Analog chip manufacturing company, where almost everyone is buying from. Including Dave Smith and Elektron for example.

There is nothing magic about Analog gear. There are no fairies and wizards involved spraying magical fairy dust or waving magical wants over Analog gear. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Lol at you thinking we mean literal magic.

1 Like

So which one is it?

As for me, I think thereā€™s certainly magic in real analog sound. And thanks to Behringer, I can afford it.

2 Likes

@Hawk I am just joking with him.

Especially since he is contradicting himself.
Saying he tried both TR-909 and TR-09 and couldnā€™t hear any difference, while the TR-909 is 100% analog and the TR-09 is 100% digital. :joy:

So what was so special or magical again?

100% analog hat and cymbal samples?

Dang those things really are worth the $4k they fetch.

3 Likes

oddly the main reason why I think the B version is crap is because the samples sound wrong. (well, and the kick, hats and toms; the snare isnā€™t awful)

On the OG (and RD-9) those go through analog filter and VCA.

Not sure how much the original is worth, but I am sure RD-9 will be worth 299, judging by how good RD-8 sounds.

Itā€™s both. Keep up. :wink:

I didnā€™t say I couldā€™nt hear any difference : I said they were largely indistinguishable for all practical purposes ( for example when recorded / mixed & used live etc )

A TR-909 definitely had a certain ā€˜thingā€™ going on why you use it in isolation that the TR-09 doesnā€™t ā€¦ but my original point was that people seem to be fetishing the Behringer knock off purely because itā€™s analog ( well, the bits that are meant to be analog ) wheras the TR-09 is 100% digitalā€¦ but itā€™s clearly terrible analog( certainly in that demo) from a terrible company. Ergo - the Roland is a better choice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got Moog stuff so Iā€™m all good ta.

I havenā€™t got any analog Elektron kit - I donā€™t like the sound. I have a Digitakt. :slight_smile:

And I like them both (TR-08 & TR-09) just to add another opinion :smile:

I had the originals and sold them, the boutique versions satisfy me enough though, soundwise, everything really.

And Iā€™m one of those weirdos who likes the size of them too, and I never use separate outs so that they donā€™t have them is ok by me. The mix buss on the TR-08 can be driven quite hard, gives a nice sound.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Behringer era

I think it sounds great in that demo. The kick doesnā€™t sound classic, but they have posted this comment to the vid which seems to explain why:

ā€ Hi everyone, people have been talking about the kick but please note that there are now more controls for the kick drum sound, so it can sound 909 and more, it has pitch envelopes now. There is a wider variety of kick sound you can get out of it, you can hear it at the beginning of the demo. We went for a lower tuning that you may not be used to in this example. There will be more examples to come.ā€

Oh, and I think the company is awesome too. They seem to actually listen what their customers want, unlike some companiesā€¦

2 Likes