Behringer RD-9

I wish the TR-09 is back in production. I had many boutiques and sold them all, only to re-purchase TB-03 and SH 01A again . . . and I agree, the size is perfect, the sound as well. Thats why TR8S is not that appealing . . . yet still tempting in the same time.

3 Likes

I want to start by admitting that I am an elektron fanboy and I consider them like PokƩmon, gotta collect them all!

Iā€™m into the rd9 and rd6 to make some techno with the sounds close enough to what the ogā€™s sounded. Butā€¦ these have modern components, improved and reliable clock, improved circuitry, and I donā€™t have to pay the outrageous price for 40 year old machines that could fail at any time.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, all that negative stuff is expected. Look at it this way, for many many years everybody has been lusting after these classic machines. Roland did a limited release of them all with the boutiques, which in my opinion should not have been limited to stay in competition with competitors like Behringer. Roland says they worked so hard to get the acb right on them so why limit the possible revenue from them?

Along comes Behringer who does answer the call with proper sized remakes. I was iffy on purchasing anything by them bc of their mixers Iā€™ve regretfully owned in the past. I took the chance with the neutron and loved it so I took another chance with crave and love that too. I decided to push my luck with the td-3. At first I was not impressed at all and had packed it back up and was about to return it. I had to stop and think about what my expectations were vs what Behringer was trying to emulate. Nobody has came as close too sounding like the original except maybe Dinsync which isnā€™t as affordable as td-3.

With that, Iā€™m looking forward to snatching up a rd-6 and the rd-9. On top of that Iā€™m kind of a drum machine junkie.

I do wish some of yā€™all would start seeing the positive of what our offerings are these days compared to what was available only a few years ago. Most of us donā€™t have many thousands of dollars laying around to build up a personal studio.

4 Likes

Variety and more choices is always goodā€¦
I got a rytm recently so no more need for rdā€™s but they look tempting

1 Like

The TR-8S is proper sized. And itā€™s made by Roland :wink:

With that, Iā€™m looking forward to snatching up a rd-6 and the rd-9. On top of that Iā€™m kind of a drum machine junkie.

Just buy a TR-8S ?

2 Likes

Very true. I had one but I think Iā€™m going to get it again. It does much more than what the rdā€™s offer. I do miss it. Thank you for reminding me. :grin:

3 Likes

I guess on these time will tell.

1 Like

It isnā€™t people being against affordable gear, and also remember Korg have a good line of affordable synth gear some years before Behringer, I have a bunch of Korg stuff and enjoy it.

But really as you say tons of choice these days, probably the golden age of hardware synths.

4 Likes

Yeah the kick drum in that video sounded a bit off. I have a vgline 9q9 which it a Russian clone of the 909 kick with additional parameters, and while it can do 909, it can morph into some non 909 zones pretty quickly, so jury is out on the rd9 until release for me. I will say the rd8 bass drum is huge, so would be surprised if this a complete miss.
Also dig the tr8s, and might pick one up to see if I prefer itā€™s structure. The rd8 has some interface shortcomings. TR8s might kill 2 birds with one stone.

@Ozone. The Roland TR-8s looks like a fantastic machine (on paper that is) and I was actually looking into buying that one before I ended up with the Digitakt.

I absolutely hated the slippery clicky buttons on the TR-8s. What were Roland thinking?!
Typical Aesthetics design over function! /sigh
And then lets not even start about the whole UI, menus, etc. /ugh

3 Likes

@Jeronan I liked the build quality of the tr8s, but more importantly it sounds cleaner and clearer than the rytm or Machinedrum, so good for a different palette of sounds. The smooth trigs were nice for finger slide programming. Also hoping to compare it to my r8m with 909 and 808 cards, as that sounds great but itā€™s ignored these days due to interface.
The rd8 is good enough but I got bored of it pretty quick unless combined with something else. Suspect same would happen with rd9, though itā€™s still tempting to build a Behringer Rebirth system.

2 Likes

@Ozone I think that is a bit the bane of these Drum synths. They just do one thing and that it.
Unlike sample players like Akai MPC, Digitakt/Octatrack, Roland MC-707, etc. Which is are much more versatile.

If you have plenty of space (which I donā€™t), then the RD-8 and RD-9 will be fantastic additions to any one studio who want to have that classic Analog drum sound from the 808 and 909 and at a reasonable price.

I also think the Arturia Drumbrute Impact sounds really nice too! I tried that one also in the store and was impressed with it.

But at the end of the day, I overcame my fear for Elektron devices and went with the Digitakt.
I like it a lot and there is nothing complicated about it. Have yet to use the manual and think it has a very natural workflow.

ā€¦ the Analog Four Mk2 on the other hand, which I bought a little over a week agoā€¦ yeah now I come to understand peopleā€™s fear for Elektron lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah we are spoilt for choices. I dig samples for some things but drum s6nthesis also has its place. Either way reckon we are in another golden age of options for drum machines. Digitakt not lacking for that either, and the ability per square inch footprint is top of class. For 909 though, hoping that Behringer get it right. They have had enough time.

Ufffā€¦
afaik this guy works for the tribe and given to the shortcuts on the neutron this should lead to a mayor update!! 2.5 Iā€™d say.

please add round robin midi input for the Oscillators (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4)

theyā€™ll sort it with the rd9.

I think for a pragmatic mind who only wants results, a sample-based drum box cannot be beat. You can make it sound almost like anything, and you can go uber OCD on sample processing to the point where you can have a ā€œmixedā€ version of all the drum sounds in your kit for a specific tune, adjusted and tweaked to perfection. You can make a beat and go back to processing the samples, replace the samples with the refined ones, ad infinitum, to get the beat sounding like a record.

Everything else is just indulgence, from a pragmatic POV.

Did I say I fricken love indulgence? :tongue:

5 Likes

Is this RD-9 ever gonna see the light of day or what? Any news? My RD-8 is lonely :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It seems like nailing the bass drum is literally kicking their ass :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Haha I hope they nail the clapā€¦ the one on the D16 Drumazon is terrible and phasey lol

1 Like

Yeah hopefully they will, 909 clap is sick :metal:
This is the latest update of how it sounds:

2 Likes

2 Likes

I like the sound of the clap on here, maybe theyā€™re stuck on the open hat lol only heard the closed hat and the ride out of the cymbals :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes