Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

try turning off multitrigger, no slide when it was on for me.

Multitrigger is off.

Oh damn. Last suggestion is using midi over 2 (or more) tracks on TD3 channel to achieve overlap otherwise itā€™s choking note on same channel. (At least thatā€™s what happens on mnm)

That seems to work, with a second midi channel playing all the notes after a slide. Very convoluted way of programming thoughā€¦ So this is a weakness in the octa?

I guess thatā€™s how the octas midi tracks work. But now you know itā€™s a strength and you will trigger midi from a really nice sequencer with LFOs trig conditions retrigs arps and swing to create unheard sequences.

Doesnā€™t really sound right to me. Is this one midi-track?

Yes the TD-3 is being sequenced only by one midi track. Admittedly not my finest work. But itā€™s sliding and thereā€™s an accent etc.

Additionally, it was a quick pattern written on the Digitone, instead of being written on the TD-3 then re-recorded back onto the Digitone which is the way to go imho.

However, when sequencing the TD-3 externally on a Digi, or what have you, you can shorten the gate length which is cool.

Iā€™m only talking about the slide not sounding like the slide as if it were playing from the internal sequencer. Otherwise itā€™s dope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy 303 day!!!

3 Likes

Just got my acid yellow smiley edition. Sounds great and is fun, but I wish Iā€™d done my research - no midi CC implementation on the TD3 means having to play each knob manually. Now Iā€™m kind of wishing Iā€™d splurged on a TB-03. Iā€™d love to use an LFO or record automation on the filter / res / envelope using my DT, freeing up my hands to do other things. Oh wellā€¦

So far what works: Iā€™m using the random arpeggiator from my keystep > DT > TD3, then manually automating the midi note length and velocity on the DT to get slides and accents. Works really well.

2 Likes

i didnā€™t even realise! an oldie for the 303 day naut celebrations (aka Uli killed the vibe)

1 Like

Nope no midi CC. Kinda a let down but prevents any stepping of the filters etc.

1 Like

it ainā€™t acid if thereā€™s no fingers on dem knobs

7 Likes

Finally got mine. Forgive the 303 newbie question but is it supposed to be so clicky? There is a noticeable little snap at the end of every note and neither envelope nor decay effect it.
It sounds like the gate is closing instantly like on a standard synths envelope when decay and release are fully down.

Edit: listening to videos closely and I hear it there too. Not sure why I didnā€™t notice it earlier. Not a big deal, just wanted to be sure. Sounds damn good otherwise, especially for the price.

Haha truly, played a fat 4 hour long acid set on my Monologue and Monotribe last night (featuring me as the only audience member) with some phasers and distortion and yeaaaahhhh baby itā€™s all about fingers on knobs, itā€™s gotta be changing nonstop and nothing tweaks knobs like a hand wired up to a brain. The motion sequencing lanes on the Monologue are so great for locking a tweak in for a few bars and then writing over it and over it and over it! So great.

My review of the show? It was bananas my dudes! Take my word for itā€¦

4 Likes

ya, iā€™m tempted to try this:

Rubber Mod (with El-Folie and Nordcore): This replaces the C52 mod of earlier guides (which was to increase the value of C52 to 47nf). Some users reported on the TD lacking a bit of ā€œglueā€ in the sound as compared to the Tb303, with El-Folie giving precise comparisons and descriptions. As for the sound of the VCA section, the TD can have a bit of a click on the note onset while the release stage of the sound falling off a little bit too fast, which can result in a staccato-like sound. You can adjust this to a softened attack and slightly longer release, which makes the overall sound more rubbery and bouncy. As you can see on the picture below, C51 on the PCB is not populated ā€“ you can implement a 220nf capacitor here for softened attack. As for slightly prolonged release, solder the anode (positive leg) of a 1uf capacitor to the top terminal of D22 and its cathode (negative leg) to ground (e.g. TP1). Nordcore was extremely helpful in explaining the technicalities behind this as he had invented a mod to de-click the XoXboX VCA.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually thinking about buying a second one to mod. Iā€™ve never modded music gear (lots of video game systems) so it should be fun and since itā€™s so cheap, not too much of a risk. Thanks for the tip.
Side note, do you think you could somehow add a pot to the attack to actually control it like a traditional VCA?

Iā€™m still not super clued up on electronics, but maybe a variable potentiometer before (or after!?) the capacitor would affect the timing ā€¦?
please chime in anyone if you have some practical knowledge here as iā€™ve been considering this as well.

Okay, this is my first hardware tb303 experience and so far I actually love the sequencer. Itā€™s a blast in a challenging (think totally different) kind of way.
Iā€™m pretty sure I understand everything but what are the function commands on the keyboard?
Obviously ā€œINT, MIDI, USBā€ have to do with MIDI signal path/clock but what do ā€œTRIG, 1pps, 2ppq, 24ppq, 48ppqā€ mean? Isnā€™t PPQ represent how granular the sequencer is in terms of microtiming? I didnā€™t see any of this in the manual. Mightā€™ve missed it though.

If itā€™s the same as other sequencers using this scheme, itā€™s referring to how many steps the sequencer will advance for each received sync pulse.

1 Like