Behringer TD-3 MO (Modded Out)

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Is there a certain setting on the MO version that will make it sound and behave exactly the same as the non-MO version?

1 Like

After using mine for a few weeks now I’d say not exactly. Definitely has some different sweet spots and sonic possibilities. I would say the MO is a bit more “chirpy” and bouncy than the normal td3

2 Likes

Maybe grab a 2nd hand normal one for £70 or a bit less ?

1 Like

There kind of is, and kind of isn’t.

You can pretty easily make it sound “standard 303”. However, the control ranges exceed those of the 303/TD-3/other clone. So, what I do, is set a mid-level setting that sounds like what I’m looking for (usually a cleaner, more classic 303 sound) and the tweak in either direction from there.

It takes a little getting used to, but it’s easily done.

I’ve had a lot of fun with the new envelope shaping. You can get some really bouncy basses, and also some rubbery soup. :smiley: It’s definitely a worthwhile upgrade, and despite having to get used to classic settings, very easy to work with.

I don’t push the drive into crazy fish of the devil areas, but adding a bit actually sounds good on this one unlike the distortion on the original TD-3.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to get mine. Just got a email from Thomann to tell me that I should have delivery in 2/3 weeks.

1 Like

One can never have too many 303ish items IMO! It’s really one of my favorite sounds, up there with a Moog voice or Buchla voice.

1 Like

I’ll also add that I really enjoy both of them and think they compliment eachother well. For the price hard to go wrong owning both.

Also when you crank the filter FM with mid-high resonance on the MO + turn up overdrive a bit you can get a sound fairly close to the TD-3’s distortion. Albeit a bit less “barky”

This thing actually sounds quite okay. The sub does alot. Too bad programming it is such a PITA.

Same to program as the original Roland TB-303 isn’t it though?

Well it has the typical 303 sequencer which isn’t the most intuitive. And I hear sequencing from DAW messes with the glides/slides. what it’s called

I think it works perfectly when sequencing from a daw

They might’ve repaired it. If I remember correctly you had to use Behringer’s own software to sequence it for the glides to work properly in td-3

I think they fixed that pretty early

1 Like

Just overlap notes to make it glide
In the synthtribe software you can define slide type .

1 Like

Yes, it glides when notes overlap but to my ears it doesnt sound like the typical 303 glide that you get from the internal sequencer. I guess it’s hard or even impossible to implement because when the glide information isnt internally stored and the unit obviously cant see in the future when externally sequenced, so it will start the glide as soon it detects two overlapping midi notes which might be a tad later.
At least this is my explanation?! Really would like to sequence authentic glides from an Elektron sequencer and am open to be proven wrong :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I hear no difference tbh

1 Like

Yes, it’s been fixed.

1 Like