Best distortion pedals for synthesizers

What is the best distortion pedals to make nasty screaming tortured sounds?

1 Like

15 Likes

That is the correct answer. I’d also like to nominate this in the runner-up position:

8 Likes

All hail the yellow box of fury…
Also, for 303, ProCo RAT hands down. Hardfloor approved!

3 Likes

Any and all, get your hands on as many as possible and experiment with stacking.
Also get something like a Boss Ge7 or MXR eq so you can sculpt your tone.
:skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

I was looking for the Source Audio Ultrawave and found this Video:

nice options

1 Like

Alternatively, an overlooked, pretty convincing, versatile and cheap option is a line6 podxt. I bought one (50 euro) and am pretty surprised. Oh and it screams.

2 Likes

Metal Zone :slight_smile:

It’s a distinct flavor, but I love all the sculpting controls

4 Likes

Blackstar HT Dual. I just love how it screams.

Been really enjoying Earthquaker Devices Gray Channel for this, sounds great and a variety of drive/distortion types. Really wanna try the Geiger Counter and have some interest in the EHX Operation Overlord for the stereo-ness.

Ka-BOUM

11 Likes

Anything Retro Mechanical Labs… I use the JnH Serpa (total monster) and the 432k. The different variations of the Electron Fuzz are great too.

https://rmlfx.com/

9 Likes

There’s no one effect that can cover all the bases, tbh. Rats, Klones, Metal Zones, HM2, and trying them out is a lot of fun (if you have them lying around, which I uh, might) … but my current favourite is a Quill Effects Bacchus. Sounds massive on everything and super versatile.

2 Likes

The HM2 has always been my go to. I also like the DOD Death Metal. I’m sure there are better pedals for better people, but these suit my needs. The HM2 is pretty versatile, the DOD is just a monster

4 Likes

The Boss GE7 is pretty essential as well.

1 Like

For inexpensive experiments the versatile and quiet TC Electronic Magus pro.
Sometimes I like the ProCo Rat 2 a little bit more but it is not as versatile.

Different IMO non Rat clone Sound: EHX Operation Overlord (one of the few stereo distortion pedals)

EDIT: To me the question is: Does it make sense to invest more than 200 €,$ etc. knowing that distortion pedals sound different used with synths than used together with guitars what the most important use case for pedal manufacturers is.

This pedal is awesome in theory and I want one but in demos, everything I’ve heard pretty much sounds the same. Is it different in person?

re: the topic overall, EQD HIzumitas is my favorite distortion pedal I’ve tried so far. It’s Boris-in-a-box, heavy as hell, and can actually handle line-level signals.

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking, but it definitely has a very distinct flavor. Your mileage with it is going to depend on your feelings on that center knob and the various octave effects. If you have an opportunity to try it out somewhere, it’s worth a spin.

I guess there was just a very very specific buzz to it that always seemed present in the videos I’ve seen - it wasn’t unpleasant, just very recognizable and sort of unique. Not something I’d want on all my distorted patches. I’d love to try it out someday, maybe if I ever visit a city with actual music stores. My city really only has Guitar Center and one other place, sadly.

Edit: after watching another video, it sounds way cooler than I remember and now I really want one again.

1 Like