Best synth for dub chords (dub techno)

Thanks! I didn’t know it was the same CD-R. I took a gamble and bought one for $50 (coming from Spain). It’s my birthday soon and I can stomach that much more than $125 or more. Now I just have to hope it all arrives in one piece.

I have pretty bad luck with ordering overseas from Discogs (usually vinyl only orders). About 1/4 of the time the order will arrive having been folded in half and/or smashed to bits. :frowning:

I hope these samples live up to the hype! I’m certainly not going to own a Waldorf Wave anytime soon! The sounds on his singles were pretty dope and unique (a lot of vibe).

4 Likes

The sounds are good. Huckaby was great – a source you can trust. I’d have sent you them myself but, you know, the curse…

2 Likes

Thats a close minded view considering you can use dub chords in so many ways, they don’t have to be the centerpiece of a track. I use them all the time to add some rhythmic and harmonic emphasis in house and even jungle tunes.

You can mess with the triads so if the tune is in Gmin you don’t have to play a Gmin stab. An easy way to do this if you don’t know theory is to put your DAW in scale mode and try different combos of keys. This is a great way to find triads aside from a G, Bb, D over a Gmin for example.

If you know theory you can try some outside notes, extensions like a sharp 11 over a major chord…there is so much that can be done.

2 Likes

Basically ANY poly synth into ANY mixer (with basic EQ for real time filtering) and a couple of sends for ANY kind of reverb and delay processing.

1 Like

Sure, dub chords are just tools in the hands of a composer, they can be useful in many ways.
As title says “dub techno” I was commenting about the artistic contents (lack of) of that genre: predictable and non-invasive instrumental music, a perfect background for a clothing store

I tend to find they use shit “tropical” house music in clothes shops, at least here in the UK. Not much dub techno in the shopping malls here. I might go more often if there was.

3 Likes

i’d shop at that store :laughing:

5 Likes

I’ve never had any other synth capable of chords beside my OB6 so I’ll say the OB6 is a pretty capable dub chords synth. I’ve tried with the modular but it was a relatively huge pain in the ass, although could sound cool but still a far cry from where the OB6 can get you.

To me the Low Pass smoothly turning into a Notch is the key, so many beautiful layers of fizzy goodness to uncover. I’m in love with the sound and the layout of this machine. OB6 into El Capistan is my dub go to. I like to automate reverb sends in Ableton with enveloppes or random LFOs too. The spring reverb in El Capistan is also pretty great; too bad it’s on a second page… still tweakable.

Here’s one I did the first few days after getting the OB6; one take basically just the OB6 and a few drum sounds from the Tanzmaus. Sub osc hits hard.

Another more recent, faster-paced one, this time with the Alphabase for the drums and Verbos system for the bass line. Manually tweaking both the OB6 and El Cap a lot. Just the same chord throughout, who needs chords progression.

16 Likes

nice! sequential synths and dubtech go hand in hand, what a beauty

1 Like

This is very much your opinion; which is completely valid. But very different to an inarguable fact.
Obviously enough people find something interesting in the style which you don’t, or it wouldn’t exist.

3 Likes

a few trumpet samples never go astray

1 Like

Yes of course, my opinion is worth very little, it is worth about as much as yours. My point is that the so called “Dub chords” does not belong to a specific genre and is really limiting to see them in that way: luckily human creativity is much wider.

I think you’d find that dub chords belong pretty specifically to the genre of Dub. But I get your point.
It’s a boring point but I get it.

1 Like

Also dub is all about the FX. You can read hundreds of posts here complaining about the Chord machine on the Model:Cycles, and yet that is a pretty good device for dub techno.

2 Likes

2 Likes

This is where it is at for sure.

20 Likes

I feel like sharing this which I discovered the other day -

Perhaps one of the very finest examples of proper beautiful washy ambient dub techno that I’ve ever come across. 2 hours and 38 minutes, 5 tracks, the 4th of which is just over an hour long and had me utterly transfixed in front of my monitors for the duration when I heard it. This album really exemplifies the continuous transformation aspect of the genre.

8 Likes

Here’s a dub techno jam completely cooked up on the Syntakt. I was def basic-channeling this chord sound:)

Long live dub techno!

4 Likes

Forest of the Monkeys is done with the A4mk1 using lowpass and highpass filter … with a little help of eventide space shimmer and echoboy delay. And drums from the Analog Rytm. For the re-edit of the track (which has been released on my Atacama LP) I just used a loop of the synth line through the soundtoys phase mistress.

Also want add the Korg Volca Bass as a great synth for dub techno chords. Tune the 3 saw osc to a minor chord and add some chorus. Especially the UAD Roland Dimension D … this combo sounds very Basic Channel / Mainstreet like.

11 Likes