Best synth to do what an Access Virus can do

I pulled the trigger today on a new Virus TI2 keyboard for my birthday present to myself! I plan to pair it with my Rytm, OT and DT for house trance EDM music! Only few places had them in stock and bought last one from Sweetwater today. I loved the Virus that I played a while back at a store so will be super fun to supersaw my way into the new year. Happy Holidays all. It infected me after all.

8 Likes

wow so you have not one but 3 Virus? Cool man! I bought one today for my birthday present and to survive no gear next year. Should be fun and not worried about Mac compatible as I record into an audio interface anyways. I will post a review once it arrives and I have time with it.

1 Like

Nailed it.

5 Likes

oh I like the Virus and had lot of play time on one several years ago with TI2 keyboard and also played on a Walforf Blofeld as well as Nord synths. Virus was my favorite overall. So I will enjoy it and use audio interface to record into DAW to address lack of support with the TI2 software plugin on Mac OS or try Mystery Island software. Supersaw is where its at on the Virus.

I wish you a lot of fun with the synth! Once you have gone through the sounds just delete one of the 4 banks and start the sound design journey :slight_smile:

I do own the Mystery Islands Editor for a long time. Paid it once and the license will cover all updates as far as I know. It works really well. I do not use the audio part but it also comes with the MIDI USB driver which is really useful. I use it mainly as a librarian, backing up and sorting sounds.

1 Like

I had a Virus B from 2000 and a TI Polar since 2010. Loved them, was blown away by their sound quality back in the day, sold them a long time ago. Even iOS and other soft-synths have long surpassed them. Anyone who says otherwise is romanticising.

1 Like

Thanks I’m looking forward to jamming on the Virus and will pair up with my Rytm for great combo. If I had known years ago what I wanted to produce music wise, I’d had bought a Virus and Rytm and called it a day along with a laptop, DAW and MIDI controller.

Wow that’s quite a strong reaction @obscurerobot to what was essentially me just stating my experience of using Virus hardware for over 20 years and software for as long.

You did the same.

What I said is true, in my experience. What you said is true in your experience.

In what way is my response trolling and yours not?

Edit: also Virus has been unsupported for over 10 years too. I’m pretty sure if you hadn’t updated your old iPad mini etc the soft synths you bought years ago would still work fine right now on the system they were designed for… just like the Virus.

This comment seems to disparage other’s positive experiences.

Some people don’t use iPads and/or like to avoid using computers and even if they do, one synth “surpassing” another is considered an opinion.

1 Like

I like hardware synths as I spend all day on computer for work. I plan to record out from Virus to audio interface into Logic X to bypass the TI software issues that Access Music has not supported in years. Would be nice to use the Virus plugin but Macbook too new and not supported. I will try on Windows 10 to see if the Virus TI plugin works with Studio One and Ableton as I use a PC besides Mac for music production. Virus has a nice hardware interface super easy to use and nice.

Happy for you man! Welcome to the journey.

1 Like

Thanks it’s the missing link to get me those synthwave hypersaw trance sounds that my other synths lack. With the Rytm, JX-08 and Digitone and my A4 I have all bases covered. I plan to use my A4 for bass, Rytm for hard hitting drums and Virus for anthem pads and Digitone for FM bell tones. I won’t need gear for a long time now.

Reading this post and then finishing the thread really delivers. Lol!!

1 Like

It does more than Waldorf synths and that trance synth wave sound I need in my setup.

What does the plugin offer over using the physical interface?

2 Likes

Better control for access presets and controls on the Virus as well as the step and arp sequencer configuration. It’s the Virus equivalent of the Elektron Overbridge plugin software. I never used Overbridge until recently with my Elektron gear.

In what way is what I wrote disparaging? By that definition, every opposing opinion on this forum is disparaging other users.

Yes, and I gave my opinion. What’s your point?

Like I said, I loved my Viruses and if I wanted a multitimbral hardware VA to use live then the TI2 or the TI Snow desktops would be first on my list… but they have certainly been surpassed by software if you just want to use in a studio environment.

Anyway no biggie.

@Prints you’ve reminded me why I left Elektronauts the first time round!

the Virus TI plugin works fine in Windows 10 just fyi

1 Like

this seems fair - there’s no way Serum on even a fairly bog standard Pc laptop won’t give you pretty much everything a Virus will and more.

if you want a nice solid multitimbral box with knobs on to play live though…

Also, nothing wrong with romanticising - otherwise vinyl would be dead a long time already…

This was the disparaging comment I was referring to. You were stating that anyone who doesn’t agree that the Virus has been surpassed by iPad apps and computer soft-synths is “romanticizing.”

I recently preordered a Rossum SP1200, a bulky 12-bit sampler that can only sample 20 seconds worth of time. People use the Roland Cloud to have a remake of the D-50, a synth that many considered “surpassed” by newer synths. Using something considered surpassed is not just romanticizing and defining something as “surpassed” is up to the eye of the beholder.

People want the Virus, Roland to remake the JP-8000, the D-50, etc to have a specific sound. If someone doesn’t choose to use iPad apps and soft-synths, it’s just because they don’t want to.

I just stated my opinion. There’s no reason to get so emotional over it. Anyhow, I was just trying to explain why another forum member might have felt like you were “trolling” (instigating a reaction/argument).

2 Likes