Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 15 | Alexander O'Neal - If You Were Here Tonight

I love the vocal processing.

And it really coalesces from chaos in the beginning.

1 Like

Messing with the vocal stem and it reminded me of a certain song so I found the acapella and made this

9 Likes

My malice overfloweth. Choice.

1 Like

Did you play in those keys and bassline?

Yep that’s a Boog doing the bass duties and spitfires soft piano on the chords and Bitwigs very nicely sampled Rhodes doing the pretty stuff. I just use the digitone as a midi keyboard. Was thinking of you when I was making cuz obviously that’s some heavy Chicago talent on the vocal track!

@Funk_Illuminati got to add Consequence to the best rappers list. Dude has some epic bars and such a cool soulful voice

3 Likes

Thanks! Like the last 30 seks the best so will maybe flip it in some way.

1 Like

This would fit excellent in fragment of a dark psychological thriller where the main characters enter a illegal underground club and realise there just drugged and everyone appear to be outrageous sexy zombies😁

2 Likes

ooh like MJs Thriller slash Panorama bar?

2 Likes

I love the playing… Im taking piano lessons now, and Im in that weird point where i know enough to know what I don’t know… you know?

2 Likes

Me neither that’s why I just figure out the key and fold that keyboard. On a real keyboard I can do the white keys or the black keys and D major and some F major. I love tuning it to pentatonic mode so you can play crazy McCoy Tyner style block chord inversions that would be almost impossible on a regular keyboard. That’s what I’m doing on the Rhodes track.

1 Like

Oh… thats cool you can fold a real keyboard on the Digitone!

I am the same… D major or F major… which I think is the same as C minor… maybe… those are my go to’s…

I’m hoping that it will all click one day and i can just start playing… I know its all down to practice… but the one thing that takes up most of my time away from practicing the piano is actually making music. When I do these challenges, it consumes me for 4-5 hours a stretch… and its all sequencing and chopping samples… good for the ear, but not for the hands…

I dont know what block chord inversions… so I google it, and my favorite piano channel has a vid on it… he does guided practices too… its jazz based… but I think that is a piano players final form.

1 Like

Someone once told me that piano is the only instrument that gets harder the better you get. That doesn’t make sense, until you try to actually sit down and learn. I’m a guitar player and it’s the opposite, gets easier and easier the more you play

1 Like

I’m so glad you said that because thats how I feel… but it helps so much to understand theory, since the keyboard is set up with theory in mind.

The cool flip side is though, you get frustrated with what you don’t know, and don’t realize that you are playing way better than you were… so the gains goes ignored until someone tells you

2 Likes

I think Reggae & classic Country (which aren’t very different in terms of arrangements just the rhythms) are the best genres to learn to play keys with. I don’t know how to read music so I go for the easy stuff my ear can figure out.!

1 Like

I am VERY familiar with this concept… and I actually like to stay in the beginning of the curve… its the most fun… but the only way to get better is to start the travel down the slope…

I mean… Im not the best, but my drum programming and chopping has gotten so much better since I started these challenges… i would be in a frustrated panic before… now, I am resigned comfortably with my results… I am satisfied that though they are flawed, at least they are executed.

1 Like

Really glad to hear that tbh - these comments make me feel warm and fuzzy! I’ve definitely been learning lots too as I don’t make music this way normally and it forces me out of my comfort zone. I’m getting more and more comfortable with the OT.

I finished a 3rd track tonight I’m pretty happy with, I’ll post the video in the morning! Here is a gratuitous photo to whet your appetite:

2 Likes

Wait… couple questions…

How do you normally make music? Just Eurorack and TT? Because since Ive started on this forum, you have seemed to be a staple of production here. Meaning i always looked up to you as being someone to aspire to be.

And Do you patch the sound in, THEN wrap the cables to get them out of the way? Or is that patched in on a semi permanent basis?

1 Like

Wowza that’s very flattering, I’m always impressed with the talent from you folks and everyone on this forum so I take that as a huge compliment.

Yea I work almost entirely DAWless, my tracks are single takes. I dip into Ableton sometimes but it’s rare. I get the stems and samples processed out of the box and then loaded onto the OT and go from there. Eurorack are my main voices and effects and I use a Digitakt/AR for drums - Digitone makes an occasional appearence but I often struggle with its sound as like you I’m an analog hog. I don’t tend to use the TT when making music I’m not skilled enough with it - it’s something I’d like to dabble with though for sure!

Asking the important questions! Bit of both tbh. My voices are fairly pedestrian, and my end of chain is on my rack, so my euro goes into the OT, then the mix goes back into the euro for compression. That’s all fairly fixed although I swap modules in and out fairly regularly. It’s mostly the effects and modulation that gets patched per track. But it’s a LOT of knobs and sliders to play with even without touching any cables.

Oh and this will be the first track I’ve made using speakers - historically I’ve worked exclusively on headphones so there may be an adjustment period…

2 Likes

Don’t tell me you got in on the Munroe Egg train! What did you pick up?

And since you mentioned it… I was using Izotope for mastering, which has compression built into it… But someone convince me to take the plunge and i got Fabfilter…

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what i am doing… and I just go through presets until something sounds okay… and even then, I choose a vocal preset that has no vocals in the track because it sounds okay…

So is there videos you know that helps demystify this? or how did you learn?

I’m taking a music technology course in the fall, so I know I can ask then as well…

I would make a separate thread about this, but it would get flooded with conflicting advice…