Blofeld love

I am not. This sounds like a fault in your instrument. If you have followed the various reset actions listed at the Waldorf page that you linked to above, I suggest that you contact Waldorf for help.

1 Like

I just use it to make new oscillators. Iā€™d hate to try and use it like a sampler.

3 Likes

I tried that but it has no effectā€¦ Thank you for your suggestion!

1 Like

You certainly have helped with a lot with issues people are having! :slight_smile: Yes maybe i should contact them directly

A Wavetable can create a far better oscillator than a sample. Single cycle waveforms can produce some interesting results but pitch movements have some serious limitations in emulating a real osc or a wavetable. I always find wavetables better in sound quality than samples, ā€œphatterā€ I would say and more controlable to tune them at will. Blofeld supports samples with static loop points only. This is a limitation that, digitakt for example, does not have and can create very rich sound osc like movements.

Probably true, but itā€™s still different and thatā€™s what I like about it. I like finding things that sound interesting in those imperfections of a sample playing too high or low from itā€™s sampled pitch. I guess it depends on what youā€™re looking for from it.

1 Like

Just bought a 2nd sample license before the 20 euro sale ends. My current blofeld already has it but Iā€™m always eying a black one so figured itā€™ll be nice to have a spare license. One also recieves the two patch sets which might be nice.

For me it is worth it just to load some drums and know that in some yet-to-occur scenario I could use a midi controller, sequencer and the blofeld to perform whole songs.

For me it is well worth it, years of exploration - straight sample usage, transient (d-50 style) use, drum programs, experimental oscillators. Such a great synth.

3 Likes

I have had this exactly as describedā€¦! Itā€™s a midi thingā€¦and only in multi modeā€¦no solution for youā€¦but letting you know you are not aloneā€¦

1 Like

Any Naut using the Attack Soundset / Option with the SL? is good? More stuff and 8o8

I have the Blofeld keys so it already comes with the SL option, and inspired by Jexusā€™ written Blofeld review Iā€™ve loaded mine with field recordings, which make for very interesting textures and noise sources for modulation and layering.

Although I donā€™t understamd why they put in samples like ā€œString Chordā€. Man, who the fuck needs cheesy string sample with a pre-recorded chord? Or ā€œImpulseā€ or ā€œSpringā€ or whatever itā€™s called. This sound can as well be done on normal oscillators with some deep modulation, so whatā€™s the point of having such samples? I wish the samples were sounds from mother nature which are really hard to mimic by oscillators - Jexus.

Sure, itā€™s a pain to load samples in, but once theyā€™re in they are not going anywhere and you have an extra set of sound sources to play with. If those sounds are hard to synthesise with VA or wavetables then thatā€™s when the value really becomes apparent. The sampling add-on doesnā€™t turn your Blofeld into an Octatrack, so you need to alter your expectations and instead see what it can add to your palette rather than what it doesnā€™t. In fact, it does things that my Octatrack canā€™t do, like polyphonic playback and sources/destinations for FM modulation. You have the entire Blofeld architecture and mod matrix at your disposal for mangling samples so I really donā€™t get all the hate. Even just loading it with Mellotron samples can turn it into a completely different machine.

6 Likes

I had a similar issue- not exactly the same but lost the visuals of the Filter Env, Amp Env- basically everything in the ā€˜Filterā€™ section. Like you, I would be happily tweaking away on a patch and then the Blofeld would get stuck and stop responding.

It was under warranty and they replaced it with a new unit. Itā€™s some kind of hardware fault with the MIDI. Does it also happen for you if you use the USB input for MIDI instead of the 5 point din input?

1 Like

From the demos I think Attack sounds awful. Not sure what went wrong there!

I have the ā€œDrum Sunthesizerā€ sound pack and love it. Definitely not an emulation type pack though. Distinctly Blofeld drums sounds. If you like the Perc presets that come with the Blofeld youā€™ll probably like that one.

SL option is great to have for your own stuff but when buying soundsets Iā€™m more drawn to 100% synth based so you can reverse-engineer and fully tweak.

1 Like

Thanks! Glad at least to know my unit is not faulty! It s like the cpu gets overloaded at some point and decides ā€œim outā€. It would not be a major problem if you could save your patch up to that point but from my experience it does not save itā€¦ So i guess the solution is save often when tweaking before this happens!

I tried via usb as you suggested and for sometime everything was ok even with fast tweaking and notes playing but eventually it happened againā€¦ But i think it took more effort to get it to bug out with usb. Maybe the usb is a little more stable than the midi cable.
When your unit stopped responding did also the sound go out or could you still play notes? Also with your replaced unit was everything ok or has it happened again? Thank you for responding!

No, it got stuck when it froze. So if it froze while a note was sounding, that note would continue to sound. But it didnā€™t respond to any more MIDI messages.

The new unit has been fine (so far!). I think the occasional glitch is (unfortunately) to be expected with the Blofeld but no major problems. Is yours still under warranty?

Hi thanks for the input yes Iā€™m installing this and checking how it soundsā€¦
the blo as a drum module with some mapping I hope do his jobā€¦ like the real one
the Attack Drum Rack.

yes it isā€¦ fortunately my issue is not so critical as yours, as it at least still responds to midi. if it continues and starts to get annoying maybe i will send it to be checked for harware issues. But i m slowly getting convinced that it may actually be one of the occasional blofeld glitches which as you said are to be expected :thinking:

It was Not that buggy for me, but using samples made it crash a lot :frowning:

1 Like

Add me to the list of blofelders that had, loved, and lost. Just got tired of all that menu diving and scrolling. Never really felt that ā€˜liveā€™ and tweakable. I actually think the Digitone makes a very good ā€˜feld replacement. Gets me to a lot of the same zones.

1 Like