Bought a Nintendo Switch

I wish I could summon up some enthusiasm to play the Zelda series but the whole fantasy adventure genre leaves me cold, never played Zelda or final fantasy etc. I’m loving the switch though and happy that even though I’m a good few years late to the party that there’s still big releases for it…

Zelda kind of exists outside of other fantasy stuff I think, though cannot be objective at all as has been my favourite series for my entire life basically!

6 Likes

It does exist outside of it for the most part. You can skip through the story aspect and just play the game (that’s what I do). This is especially true with Link’s Awakening.

I always wanted to like Final Fantasy, but I couldn’t get into it because there’s no escaping the story.

3 Likes

As a kid/teen I loved fantasy and scifi. Read every book in the library, watched every movie. Then I grew up and kinda lost interest in fantasy. I still love my scifi as much as I used to, but all the elves, dwarves and goblins just seem a bit childish to me now.

But as said previously, Zelda is not fantasy. It exists beyond any genre definitions.

Dislike fantasy, love love love Zelda.

4 Likes

As others have said, and I agree, you wouldn’t feel that way about Zelda games most likely.

There are games that fall into a genre, and then there are those that define a genre, and with ANY Nintendo frachnise, I believe that it can be enjoyed by absolutely anyone.

I’d highly recommend giving a Zelda game a try. I think I would recommend Wind Waker, before I’d recommend the two latest ones, but really, all of them have their good points, are of the highest production quality, and quite enjoyable. There are two that I enjoyed just a touch less than the rest, but that’s typical I think. Some people absolutely swear by the ones that I liked a bit less, and I swear by a few that other people didn’t like quite as much.

I will say though that Wind Waker is pretty much universally adored. Especially the Wii-U remake (which you can play on the PC by jumping through a few setup hoops).

I’m hoping they port it and Twilight Princess to the Switch eventually though, because I no longer have my Wii-U.

2 Likes

What, wait? Explain. The lack of dungeons in BoTW was part of the appeal to me. I was always too stupid for Zelda dungeons in general and really struggled with the Divine Beasts. So that’s where I’m at with Zelda dungeon skills :slight_smile:

Well ok not 100% confirmed but there were lots of massive structures that looked very dungeon-esque with some end-looking monsters peppered throughout the trailer. Collecting (speculated) 7 tears is a very dungeony trope as well. And honestly I have faith Nintendo will listen to the community; that was a huge issue for a lot of people.

3 Likes

I definitely missed the dungeons. The Shrines were just like smaller busy-work versions of a larger dungeon IMO. Dungeons last longer, but the puzzles are always largely the same sorts of tasks that were in the Shrines of BotW, just in larger contiguous blocks. The key to dungeons in other Zelda games, is to find the map and compass as quickly as possible. Then you can keep an eye on where things are, where you’ve been, and it cuts down the confusion a lot.

That said, I wasn’t a big fan of the Divine Beasts in BotW. They were bigger like a classic dungeon, but a bit less interesting and atmospheric IMO. If they can nail the feel with these new ones, I’m going to be quite happy.

Also, the newer the Zelda game, the more quality of life features and improvements have been made to make things a bit less obtuse in some cases. This new game might just change your mind. :wink:

The one thing that I didn’t like was the timed collection sequences in Skyward Sword. (loved everything else about the game,) but those timed segments collecting tears or whatever, while dodging those security spot-light guys just really pissed me off to no end! (to quote Lo Pan).

5 Likes

Watching the trailer now and having played Metroid Prime Remaster intensely for the last couple of weeks I have to ask:

Why does anyone else even bother making video games when they know that they’ll never be able to touch Nintendo?

5 Likes

Really??!

I may be missing something, but that was a shed load of fetch questing just to get what? A diamond? They built the town and there was nothing worth looking at in it. The shop prices were outlandish. Disliked that quest. And the Links own house in Hateno quest. Waste of time.

Ive never played any other zelda game so all the talk of dungeons is lost on me. I liked the divine beast puzzles, boss fights were tough. Shrines were fun.

1 Like

I like community building 🤷

1 Like

Fair enough.

I didnt like ripping down a nice little forested plateau to build a rich suburb :wink:

4 Likes

I find that I need a classic device like the MiSTer FPGA to play classic games.
A PC to play modern games like Doom Eternal or other games of that style.
And one modern Nintendo Console (Switch, or the like) to play modern and remade Nintendo games.

Nintendo makes the absolute best games of the genres they participate in. I can barely play non-mario platform games for example. :smiley:

To be fair though, there are some REALLY nice indie games these days.

But that combination allows one to play the absolute best games on offer past and present. Nintendo is a HUGE chunk of that for me. Though I do like a lot of games that were inspired by Nintendo’s games, like Axiom Verge for example.

3 Likes

My daughters liked it too. I never did it myself. I let my daughter do it for me. :smiley: That said, it was entertaining to watch her, and I do think you get a few other by-products of doing that quest line. That weird mechant for example.

Yeah the weird merchant was a non event as i recall.

I’m replaying BOTW at the moment, guess what, Tarry Town will never get built. And Link wont end up a home owner.

2 Likes

:smiley: To hell with that!

Do you have to do Tarry Town to get the motorcycle? My daughter went through the process to get it, and for some reason I think that was a requirement. Could be wrong though.

Not that the motorcycle is a particularly Zelda sort of thing, but it was fun as hell to drive all over the place. :smiley:

1 Like

Steam deck has been my go to handheld for a while but I will absolutely be charging up the switch for this. Looks delightful

Cant remember, I didn’t get the motorbike. Didnt really appeal to me. I didnt use horses much either.

Once you’ve got the upgraded climbing gear and revali’s gale, climb and fly gets you pretty much everywhere . Zora armour for flying up waterfalls.

Lol touche!

As much as I love Nintendo games, there’s so many other games out there that are easily on the same level, if not more enjoyable than Nintendo games. But there is a certain Nintendo charm that’s very hard to replicate.

3 Likes