Bought a Nintendo Switch

Just finished it, had a blast! Never finished the Wii version, but all the gripes I had with it in the first place (mostly the trials and imprisoned fights) were hardly bothering me this time. Still put about 50 hrs in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just finished Golden Deer a month or so ago. Damn fine game and I wanted to immediately play another route, but had to give it a rest - don’t want to burn out!

Somehow got back into playing BOTW after finishing it last summer. There is something therapeutic about exploring the world.

Also, Age of Calamity is shockingly good!

2 Likes

I feel you - just mowing those grassy fields and catching some grasshoppers. Maybe cook a potion or two if you feel ambitious😂 Love just exploring BOTW

I F*CKING LOVE Dead Cells!

6 Likes

<rant>

What’s the deal with Konami classics (Castlevania, Contra) going to Amazon Luna and not into NES for Switch? (I understand the short answer is probably: money. nonetheless, I’m bummed)

</rant>

These games are available as collections on the Switch eShop. But they’ve gone on sale a few times at least. The Castlevania Anniversary collection is amazing actually: Castlevania Anniversary Collection for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

I wasn’t aware there was a Castlevanina collection for sale.
I may sound like a choosy beggar, but I really would like to Castlevania I and Contra included in the basic NES app.
It’s not that I expect everything for free, but I’ve found that most of these NES classics only satisfy a nostalgia craving. This is to say I’ll play City Connection for 15 minutes and not look at it again for 6 months. Games like Super Mario Bros 3, however, I’ll burn a day on. As I’m writing this, I’m realizing that I might actually play Castlevania, and not just look at it for 10 minutes.

BTW… I have to agree with comments above, for my entertainment dollar - Dead Cells is one of the best Switch purchases I’ve made.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to buy a Sony PS4 for a while. I always try to stay a generation behind on consoles other than Nintendo. When everybody else is buying PS5s, I’ll get a cheap PS4. This week a dude brought some gaming consoles to my bookstore (Yes we buy and sell those too.) There was an Xbox One and I took it home with me to “test” it’s functionality. Firstly: IT’S HUGE! I could probably fit 9 Nintendo Switches inside that machine. Secondly, the Game Pass is pure genius.

I downloaded a bunch of great games for a reasonable monthly fee and I can resign whenever I feel like it. I wish the Switch had something as good. The previous generation’s graphics are amazing, I really enjoy taking a sportscar for a spin in Forza or flying an X-Wing into a spectacular canyon wall. I even finally got into Hades, it’s amazing.

There’s only one problem. My spouse really likes to binge watch tv-series. Recently The Golden Girls appeared on Disney Plus. We only have one TV. That means that she hogs the tv to herself and I very rarely have any time to play my games. That’s the one and all important thing that the Switch has over all the other machines. A built in screen. I can continue my Ni No Kuni -adventures wherever I want to when I feel like it and my spouse can watch all the 80’s sitcoms she ever wants to. Win/win.

4 Likes

We made that decision too, so gaming time is at a premium, enters the Switch…

1 Like

Grabbed ‘The Outer Worlds’ with all the DLC, as it is on sale right now. It received some harsh reviews at release as the performance was pretty bad. These issues seemed to have been fixed, as I didn’t notice anything major about 20 hours into the game yet. It’s very addicting, pretty funny and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to any fall out: new vegas fan.

1 Like

You know, I played through it once, and thought it was ok, but then started a replay with a new character, and found out that the there is some dynamic changes in the story based on your actions that definitely made me appreciate more. I think the main things with the performance were maybe the load times which felt a little slow, but I thought the gameplay and visuals looked totally fine.

However Fallout 3 + Fallout New Vegas are some of my favorite games off all time (I had a dream that Fallout 3 was released for the Switch recently, and when I went into the eshop to look for it was legitmately disappointed :crazy_face:). For whatever reason The Outer Worlds, while comparable, just doesn’t hold the same feeling for me. I think part of it is while there are different planets, and factions overall everything just felt really the same to me. But there are definitely some great parts in it.

1 Like

Got Xenoblade Chronicles on sale at Target, and damn, this game is amazing. I am not a huge JRPG guy, but I absolutely love Monster Hunter and now I can add this game to the list.

2 Likes

I agree with most of what you wrote. I played the hell out of Fallout 3/NV back in the day and would also count them among my favorite games of all time. The Outer Worlds is the closest thing available on the switch to scratch that Fallout itch, imho.
Thanks for mentioning the replay value, I wasn’t sure if it’s going to be worth it as I usually try to do pretty much every side quest I can the first time around. I think I’ll give it a second round in a year or so with different companions /weapons etc.

1 Like

:100::100::100: it definitely is the closest thing, it’s just like a TR8 compared to a TR-808 you know :loopy:

On my first play through I didn’t get two of the companions that really have made the second play through a lot more interesting.

Metroid Dread is now pre-loaded on my Switch. Anyone else ready for this one? Honestly, everything is just a pacifier before Silksong arrives :sweat_smile: But, I’m pretty excited to play this new one.

8 Likes

I’m really looking forward to this.
My ex is named Emmi and we had a very messy breakup years ago involving her hooking up with a friend of mine etc. Haven’t spoken to her since that.

The main enemies in Metroid Dread are brainwashed droids called E.M.M.I. Can’t wait to get to give them hell. I’m unforgiving like that.

Also, looking forward to the reggae themed soundtrack, hence -> dread.

12 Likes

Sounds like you’re really going to put some lingering baggage to rest :laughing:

5 Likes

One Silksong please!

I haven’t pre-ordered Metroid. Figured I’d do that this week sometime, so it was ready on release day. Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

Wow! I didn’t realize this was coming! JSRF is one of my favorite games of that era, and still love it now (though I don’t have it anymore. Actually, it runs in CXBX pretty well, though it was just a tad slow last time I tried it. (haven’t tried it on my new PC though…) Anyway, quite excited to see Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. I wish it was coming sooner.

2 Likes

Anyone on board with Mario Golf yet? Pretty mediocre reviews, but a couple of updates seem to have fleshed it out a bit since release