Bought a Nintendo Switch

That’s a Metroid game all right :joy: ” Ah, I’m actually starting to get somewhere now … WHA only 4% items collected so far?!?!”

1 Like

Damn! All this talk of Phendrana Drifts has got me wanting to dig out my GC and play Prime again. I’d love an HD remake of that.

2 Likes

For real, I like Metroid Dread a lot, but it is a lot more challenging than Prime which felt like a very uniquely enjoyable time (nostalgia may be altering some details).

1 Like

Just emulate it. There are ways you can play the metroid prime trilogy with KBM :upside_down_face:

1 Like

MOAR blasphemy!!

2 Likes

i got the new oled model with diablo 2. its lovely nostalgic. but the server issues are really bad. offline play is possible though.

Dread is actually pretty easy compared to Hollow Knight, though the shine spark sequences get close sometimes. The thing is though Hollow Knight has a much longer, more deliberate progression. As it ramps up, it takes your skills up with it. It also adds strategic elements with the selectable charms, so you can tweak your character to fill in some gaps for you. Like say you’re good at platforming, but not as much at combat, then you can gear him up better for combat. If it’s the opposite, you can gear him up with better jumping, dashing, etc. that will help you platform better.

There are moments in Hollow Knight (especially if you opt for the path of pain) that will seriously make you want to throw something. I’m normally not a controller tosser, but I REALLY wanted to in a few sections of the path of pain. (luckily it’s optional) I did complete it 2.9999999 times though. 2 full times, and 1 where when I got to the two enemies at the end of it, I got stuck on the spikes somehow, died, and was sent back to the beginning of the section. There were no words to describe my mood when that happened.

Otherwise, it’s one of the best games of its kind.

If I had to put together a short-ish list (no particular order):

Castlevania Chi no Rondo (Rondo of Blood PC Engine CD)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Castlevania IV (SNES)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Metroid Dread (Switch)
Hollow Knight
Sundered
Axiom Verge (the first, the second is good, but not quite for this list)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

There are a ton more that I absolutely love, but these ones are among the best. (I may have forgotten one or three…)

Oh, honorable mention: Outbuddies DX. It’s a really weird Metroid-style game made by one guy. The art style is strange, the premise is even stranger, the characters are weird but lovable, and once you get used to the game play, it’s excellent. (it’s just a little bit different in feel than is typical) I actually didn’t think I liked it at first, but then I got completely hooked, just like any other game on the above list. Definitely worth checking out.

A few more that I thought of that I absolutely love, but maybe just below the above list:
The Messenger
SteamWorld Dig
Time Spinner

I have a big list of my favorite modern 2D games with descriptions, my ratings etc. but it’s probably too long to post here. It includes other styles of games too though. Maybe I can dump it into a text file, and just attach it. :smiley:

7 Likes

Is this on Switch? I’m totally into strange art/concepts

1 Like

Yes it is:

2 Likes

I mean, I know Celeste was a great game and maybe you were a little jealous, but good lord TC, did you have to take it out on us?

2 Likes

Thank you for this thorough answer! I ended up getting Hollow Knight last night (for $11!) and I am already enchanted by the atmosphere and music. I played for about 20 mins or so.

I still need to beat one more boss before taking on the final boss in Dread, but that will require some patience and training. :laughing:

6 Likes

I played Celeste for a little bit, and enjoyed it a bit, but honestly, I need that kind of platforming backed up by Vania style upgrading and map traversal. I can’t really do it just for the sake of doing it. (even if the production is good, story, etc.) I need the rewards! :smiley:

2 Likes

I needed to see the “shadow work” through to the end. Heart-achingly beautiful story.

Edit: nothing to see here, enjoy your game

1 Like

oh no. please. not here! :expressionless:

(I am 50% facetious)

1 Like

Oh. Is this a big issue elsewhere? Sorry. I didnt know. Edited. Ill go look around reddit.

1 Like

Nope. The quality speaks for itself. You can’t really quantify games based on hours played. (and hours by who?) Some people have finished Dread in 7 hours, and some in 15+. Just depends on the player, and how the game is played. A good game is a good game.

Sure, at the extreme end of things, I wouldn’t want to spend $60 for a two hour game with no replay value :smiley: But that’s not what this is. It’s worth every penny.

6 Likes

Dread made me truly excited for the Metroid series for the first time in my life. Now I’m quite happy that someone brought Metroid Prime Trilogy in to my bookshop recently. I’ll pick it up tomorrow. Can’t wait to get to start those three.

3 Likes

Extremely jealous.

1 Like

Nah, it’s ok. Just a gut reaction. But yes, the internet is full of text and videos by people that have feelings on the topic.

I am just happy that we got a NEW Metroid game on a current platform. Not a remake – a new game.

but maybe I am just a silly fangirl…

4 Likes

Also, if you add up all the time that the game doesn’t track, say, if you spent an hour before almost throwing your controller at a certain boss fight, I bet that total would go up. :laughing:

I have easily spent double the amount of actually “tracked” time playing this game.

But I said I wasn’t going to get involved. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes