Bought a Nintendo Switch

All 2d metroid games were extremely short. This one is maybe a bit longer than average. $60 for a quality metroid game which we only get once in a blue moon is well worth it… Show nintendough us metroid fans mean business.

7 Likes

Look, we all know you guys coming at us with your ”Isn’t Dread a bit short? Cause I like finished it in no time and stuff”, you’re just showing off :smirk:

6 Likes

Right?!

“What?! You didn’t one-shot the bosses?! Phft. I guess I should be impressed that you were able to turn your consoles on without game over-ing.”

4 Likes

That game over screen is burned into my retina.

6 Likes

I can get through all the hard games, but it does take me longer than some people. I am definitely NOT a speed runner :smiley:

I was very efficient for a while at clearing Dead Cells. After playing several other games since then though, I go back to Dead Cells, and usually give in to fatigue by about the docks or ossuary levels. I don’t think Ive cleared it once since my original obsession. Coming from that and Hollow Knight though makes some of the more recent 2D games quite a bit easier. They’re like a vacation from those harder ones. :smiley:

Actually, the games that still piss me off to no end are my old favorite Megaman games. (1 and 3 specifically…)

2 Likes

When I was a kid, my favorite game was Vector Man.

After not gaming for a few years, I saved up some money and got an Xbox 360 and the Sega Collection.

There are a few hallmark moments where I was significantly disappointed in myself- revisiting Vector Man and dying numerous times to that first level was definitely one of them

6 Likes

I’ve been building a lot of MiSTer FPGA devices, so I’ve also been playing a ton of my old favorites. Some I’m actually better at, some I’m much worse at. :smiley: These show me just where I stand compared to my youth. :smiley:

I will say that FPGA is the best way to play old games, as they respond SO much more snappily than software emulation. They’re not worth the price if you don’t plan to get way into it, but if you do plan to, there’s nothing better.

6 Likes

Sundered needs to settle in on you like a fine wine, brandy or Scotch. :smiley: It starts off slow. It seems limited at first. You may even cast it aside, and say it’s not your thing.

If you press on, like it’s the only good drink in the house, you keep going, you find this… euphoria I suppose?

Combat gets powerful, fluid, ballet-like. The story goes darker. You know your way around despite the slowly changing environment, and you get to the point where all the systems governing your experience become transparent. You exist, you destroy, you fly (within the parameters of your tools) and feel almost godlike. (KMFDM would love it :wink: )

Sundered is right up with Hollow Knight and any Castlevania or Metroid that ever existed.

I don’t think that people play long enough for these exquisite systems to give them the euphoria that the game can provide.

In the early stages it feels basic. You get far enough in, it’s a marvel of creativity, and perhaps engineering.

The game is something different. Something unique, and something that people should allow themselves enough time to properly experience. Like a really good, crafted Absinthe.

Sorry for all the alcohol related rhetoric. I’m actually at my wife’s pub having a couple of whiskeys so…

2 Likes

I did sequence breaking and got the gravity suit early before the space jump :heart_eyes:

Well, thank you for pushing me down the rabbit hole of exploring Dolphin on my M1 MacBook! :smiley:

Not sure I can get KBM working (yet) but playing Prime again in siky smooth HD with my old GC controller is a blast. Such an incredibly atmospheric game. Not feeling too bad about grabbing ISOs of my GC favourites when I have physical copies of all of them upstairs.

1 Like

Any recommendations for a walking simulator on switch like Firewatch?

Ooops,
I guess finally buying an Octatrack will have to wait.

I just got myself a late birthday present in form of an OLED Switch and some games.
I blame this thread.

No, I take full responsibilty for my decision and enjoy it immensly.
Last console I owned was a SNES…
Am even thinking about getting a projector for Xmas for maximum enjoyment
of Metroid, BOTW, Hollow Knight…

Can someone recommend good multiplayer games?
I got MarioKart obvs, but JumpForce is getting on my nerves I think,
would love a fighting game though that is a bit more family friendly than Mortal Kombat…

2 Likes

Street Fighter is always a sure shot (for me) in terms of fighting games. Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang is also fun but less spectacular than the usual games since the fighters don’t have any super powers. If you don’t mind side scrolling fighting games I enjoyed „9 Monkeys of Shaolin“ a lot but it doesn’t take too long to play through.

Smash Bros

1 Like

Untitled Goose Game
Unravelled Two is nice and regularly discounted.
Mario U Deluxe multiplayer looks fun - we’ll be trying that next

1 Like

51 Clubhouse Games

I think Mario tennis aces is also like a fight game, and multiplayer

oooh, some nice recommendations!

Tennis was one of the first things I played on the GameBoy
and that Mario one sure looks ace

I was also wondering which SuperMario to get, Mario U might just be the one…

Sidescrolling fighters can be wonderful, used to love Double Dragon and Street Fighter. Of the latter I previously just found the Anniversary one with old school pixel style, but that nostalgia fades quickly for me, now I found Ultra with modern graphics, might do the trick. I wish they brought out another Clay Fighter!

Let’s see how quickly I finish what I got, the upcoming World War Z, Evil Dead & The Wild At Heart seem interesting

Limited two player mode, but don’t miss Mario Odyssey!

1 Like

two people here liking it might make me reconsider
but the trailer made it seem a bit too…
chaotic/gimmicky/much

OK, it could also just be over the top in a good way,
but that trailer…oh my

For single player you would prefer this to Mario U?