Bought a Nintendo Switch

That’s an interesting psychology for a video game to have. Metroid’s kind of the same, especially the earlier Prime games. I got beat up so hard by the Omega Pirate in the first Prime, but I really really wanted to keep on going. The sections after a brutal session were always so rewarding, with that calm and serenity where you could just keep exploring for quite some time, before shit got tough again.

I remember when the first Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden came around. Also fiendishly hard, but I always found Metroid Prime tougher. Gaiden still had enough decency to provide fair save points and stuff. Metroid - sure, on occassion. But always? Hardly.

1 Like

Yes, I felt like the game could have done without the divine beasts. To me this game was all about the exploration! A nice break from the formula of the newer Zelda games…

2 Likes

So totally agree.

I loved the Beasts as far as plot points and actual concept goes, and the boss fights were great. But the puzzles reminded me why I never endured through previous Zeldas, and there’s a slight concern in me that the sequel will nudge more towards the classic dungeons. No way they’ll go back to the classic progression again, or the silly save system of older Zeldas, but the dungeons … I’ve heard many critics point out they’re missing that classic Zelda dungeon gameplay.

1 Like

Whaaat? The dungeons were great! Like solving a puzzle box from the inside. It was great

What kinda progression would you want for BotW if not for the divine beasts and dungeons?

2 Likes

All the stuff outside it :slight_smile: the world and all the environmental puzzles. There were a lot of those going on. The shadow and light puzzle in the mountains, the lightning challenge in the tropical realm, just getting to the goddess in the Faron forest, release the shrine on the top of that snowy mountain, ascending the tower covered in corruption, the eventide island, searching for the memories …

I would’ve just preferred they went all in on that instead of the constrained shrines and the beasts.

But I get that Zelda is about the dungeons to some extent still, so that’s just me.

2 Likes

Keep playing Hollow Knight dude, it’s not really that difficult, harder playing it handheld I think but if you play on the TV with the pro controller it’s pretty easy. Such a rad game.

4 Likes

Lonely mountain downhill is suberb. It was number 1 in most played game on my switch last year.
I thought I’d never gonna say this but…there is absolutely no music in there…and I love it.
On a side note, the music in Art of rally is awesome!

No spoilers guys please :pray:t2:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say 75% of the game is hard, but some is, and it starts off with a bit of a learning curve. A bit steeper than many games of its type. Once you get into it though, I’d say the difficulty is pretty spot on. It just requires learning patterns much more strictly than many action games of the style. Then there’s that path… …of… …pain… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Even after doing it three times, there are three spots that just piss me off to no end!

LoPan

1 Like

Haha yeah I agree with this, such a fun game and some tough spots for sure.

1 Like

I love Breath of The Wild. It’s the game that I have connected with most of all games ever made. I am playing it for the second time now, even though I sold my Wii U before I have played through it the first time. But this time I will play through it on my switch. Love everything about it really, except that the weapons brakes to easily. Looking forward to the sequel.

5 Likes

I kind of like the weapon breaking mechanism. It’s a bit crude, as in very few weapons can be repaired and there’s only one who regenerates on its own, but an elaboration on that idea, that you can restore most (if not all) of your weapons if you put the effort in, that’d make the system perfect.

I’m betting that’s where they’ll take this concept in the sequel. And I’m hoping for either more elaborate shrines, many of them ran on steam after all, or no shrines at all and just environmental puzzles seamlessly integrated into the world, which there were plenty of already and I’d just like more of them. Like, say, the labyrinths, they were great examples of where you just merged into a dungeon-like gameplay without breaking anything, and maintaining that level of still being in Hyrule (and no stupid frustration restarts just because some designer couldn’t come up with a shrine that’s interesting enough to keep a punishing restart away).

2 Likes

Recently replaced the left joystick on my son‘s Switch Lite. It wasn’t working in the up direction.
Really easy if you have tri-lobe screwdrivers.
Saves money and makes everyone happy.

Will post the video link once I find it.

4 Likes

So yesterday I did a rage quit on Hollow Knight, after a really vicious position of a mini boss in relation to very distant save points, so I was like, “Okay, so that’s how you wanna play it? Well watch me”, and I uninstalled the bloody thing.

Today, I’m scrambling to reinstall it. I know it’s gonna keep hurting me, but apparently I’m not done with the pain yet.

And I don’t even like the story. I have no idea what’s going on but I doubt I’ll be emotionally invested in the fate of a bug kingdom or whatnot, no matter how clever the analogy might be in the end.

Still, I’m coming back to it in ways I don’t, with most games.

4 Likes

Which area were you in?

1 Like

Very far to the east in the Fungal Wastes. Some kind of manticore got the best of me and I was totally unprepared. I respawned at Queen’s Station. There’s another save point to the north of where I died, but both of them are really far away from the point where I got hit.

I have a feeling Hornet is just around the corner again, I’ve seen her tracking me since I beat her last time, but yeah … this giant manticore just showed up from nowhere and beat me up good.

I don’t mind the sudden death, me being unprepared, the game just having a go at me. It’s been very upfront with its brutality so far. It’s the fact that the only thing it requires from me to get back to this point and fight this manticore again, is time and doing the chores. It’s not difficult to get there. It’s not a challenge. It just takes time. And that felt very different from the game’s take on difficulty so far, and given that the fight itself does require the usual amount of concentration and effort, I’m just not interested in wading through minutes of mandatory platforming and monster bashing, just to get to the real challenge.

1 Like

For example - there’s another quite sudden mini boss encounter in the Fungal Wastes, with the two mushroom parents and their kids, who just lock me in and then frantically go at me with their head bashing and poison bombs. Took me maybe three or four times to beat those. But that was close to a save point, so the challenge was focused on getting to the skill level where I could defeat them - not to spend the time just travelling to their area and try again.

So that I can handle.

But just travelling for the sake of it, and then do that journey over and over again, when the real fight is with the actual encounter … I’ll draw the line there.

But I’ll give this one more go. Maybe I missed something, maybe this guy just takes a few hits and then he’s out, maybe maybe.

My favorite thing about the game is that you have no clue what the plot is until 4 hours in. Just let it all happen. It’s one of my favorite games ever made. I’m replaying right now for my 5th play through. It’s hard to get out of your head!!

3 Likes

I ended up getting this game on Friday and I’m obsessed. It’s incredibly addictive.

1 Like

just started Hyper light Drifter.

ah jeez it’s amazing.

and that soundtrack. oof :heart:

9 Likes