Bought a Nintendo Switch

I really wanted to like Hollow Knight since i like everything about it except the boss fights, im just too old for that sh*t and time is precious. I wish there was a difficulty setting or something.

4 Likes

One of my favorite games!

2 Likes

You know, I actually wasn’t great at it at first. Even after 100+ hours of Dead Cells, Sundered, etc. I nearly gave up on it.

Then my daughter started playing, got past where I was, and then I basically picked it up to prove to myself that I was still good enough. I pushed through, and it’s one of my favorite games of all time.

Bosses are definitely annoying at first, but 98% of them have a very defined pattern if a bit varied in and of itself. Plus, if you get a good combo of charms, some just become easy.

It got to the point where I was seeking out some of the trickier optional things to do, cleared the path of pain three times, etc.

I think you ought to just do it :wink:

3 Likes

new pokemon rocks but the story is kinda meh, i’m trudging through the ending now.

I’ve realised I just don’t enjoy it all that much :slightly_smiling_face: so I stopped playing it.

And I think this comes from the fact that I’m starting to realise, I might not enjoy Metroidvanias overall. I just like Metroid, not the genre it helped inspire.

1 Like

Yeah, I realised that it’s really a matter of atmosphere. Metroid has this unique sense of loneliness that you almost find nowhere else, the first one I did was Prime and I think you actually don’t meet anyone in there. I loved discovering ancient ruins and abandoned tech lab on my own through scan logs.

In Hollow Knight you’re not so alone, but there is this overall sense of doom and melancoly which can be depressing. Personaly I loved it but I can undersand how crawling through dark tunnels and fighting bosses to learn slowly that everything is fading away may not be the joyful experience one is looking in a game.

I tried Guacamelee and Blasphemous and the atmosphere of those was not for me, I did not go through with them, on another hand I finished Ori 1, loved it, started Ori 2 but it was too taxing for my computer so I could not go on. But something about the softer ambiance was definitely more captivating to me than in Guacamelee and Blasphemous.

I guess I meant to say that I totally get why you might not enjoy Hollow Knight.

3 Likes

What you said. Especially on Prime. That was totally on spot for me, and especially the first Prime isn’t exactly a forgiving game.

I did try the Ori demo and kind of liked it. I actually forgot about that one. Maybe I should give it another go. Thanks for reminding me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Being a huge Undertale fan, I took my opportunity to play Earthbound on NSO. I can definitely see the fantastic starting point Toby Fox had to work with- this game is bizarre

1 Like

I’m not a big Metroidvania fan but loved Guacamelee 1 & 2. The exploration is there but easier to navigate, and the mix of platforming and brawler-style combat made for some good fun, as long as you don’t mind the parody vibes.

1 Like

Coming this April

4 Likes

I pre-ordered yesterday. Really looking forward to jumping into this and then losing interest and quitting the game halfway through- just like childhood

5 Likes

I’ll need to give Hollow Knight another try based on this thread. My fav Metroidvania was axiom verge. I’ve seen it described as Metroid on acid. The soundtrack and sound effects sounds like someone here made it with their a4 and digitone.

2 Likes

I have MH Rise for Steam, and tried the Demo on the Switch, i found it significantly harder to play at 30 Fps, as it seems a littke bit more like a guessing game, when timing is so critical.

This is the kind of cute and quirky thing that appeals to me. “You are what you eat” :rofl:

3 Likes

Portal 1 and Portal 2 are coming to switch… I may not get anything done ever again!

6 Likes

Windjammers 2 is tons of fun, batbarian is on sale at the moment…

1 Like

And now I’m into Hades. Two hours in, I absolutely love it. Haven’t actually figured out the loop yet, so I’m not exactly sure how you get good at this game’s upgrade path and selection of kits and upgrades, it all seems so random (I’m sure it’s not, though), but I’ll figure it out. Right now, I’m just loving the vibe and the combat system. While I’m still learning the upgrade mechanics, just getting better at raw combat is rewarding in itself. I have a feeling, this is the kind of game you can theoretically beat with a zero upgrade path if you got master ninja mega skills XII: Final Tentacle.

3 Likes

I just started hyper light drifter, too. It’s beautiful and lots of fun so far, but not easy. I’m constantly getting my ass handed to me, but I hope it’ll get better after getting a few health upgrades.

5 Likes

Never heard of it. Looks absolutely lovely. Putting it on my list now.

The first run through the game i remember being crazy difficult.

After a couple years of not playing it, I gave it another go. MUCH easier.

Maybe once you understand how you’re supposed to play it it becomes intuitive. There are only 2 or 3 areas that really got me struggling this last playthrough

2 Likes