Bought a Nintendo Switch

Yeah, the first couple of hours are tough, but I’m getting better. The game really rewards paying attention. Not only to the enemies, reading their movements and attack patterns, but also to the environment. I went back to the first area I visited (the northern one) and found a lot of golden upgrade points that I had missed the first time around. Being able to charge attacks and hit back bullets also makes fights a lot fairer now.

2 Likes

There’s also an optional upgrade for rolling grenades. Don’t sleep on those- they are excellent

2 Likes

I just picked up Windjammers 2 and I cant…stop…playing lol it’s crazy fun. It’s like a mix of air hockey, volleyball, and a fighting game.

2 Likes

Fixed the joycon drift with a tiny piece of paper!

Now I’m going back to grinding in Loop Hero.

Anyone played Death’s Door? It’s gotten some great reviews and I’ll probably give it a shot the next time I see it on sale.
edit: Added a video with actual gameplay.

5 Likes

looks cool

Really nice game, has a feeling of a Dark Souls/Zelda mix and the world is really imaginative.

1 Like

I’m being so shamed by Hades. I read somewhere that the average to escape your first time is around 30 times.

I think it took me 15 times just to get to, and beat, Meg. I’m around 30 now and not even halfway through Asphodel. And I think I’m doing pretty well :slight_smile:

ignorance is bliss

(the way I see it, it just means the good stuff will last longer for me than all them power gamers that finish games over a coffee break)

1 Like

Oh yeah, don’t read that sort of things!

Had the exact same reaction when I read that!

1 Like

Those reports are probably from professional gamers who would respond to such a survey and can already quantum compute all the possible builds and land on the most appropriate for their experienced gameplay. I’m not about to let “git gud” ruin a good time. I have no idea how many it took me to escape but probably a lot more than 30.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was the IGN review :slight_smile:

I’m even wondering if I interpreted that wrong, because if I’m say 35-40 attempts into the game now, it still feels like the story’s just unfolding. So clearly, the devs expect a player to come back to the Halls of Hades a lot more than 30 times, just to get the narrative going. Just in terms of pacing and structure when it comes to storytelling, it feels like the game’s just getting started.

I’ve beaten Meg every time now except once, after I figured her out. And she’s still delivering extremely fresh and strong content before every fight and every time I meet her in the halls. Not to mention the other characters.

If the pacing’s anything to go by, it would feel like close to 100 times would be an appropriate count to provide a satisfying narrative closure. That the gameplay loop can continue with interesting plots even after that, I don’t doubt for a second, but if they want to close the main arc and not keep it going forever, that would feel like a fair guess.

But we’ll see :slight_smile: it’s a testament to the game’s qualities that replaying those first levels is still highly enjoyable, despite having literally waded through them now over and over again.

Just so you know, the game doesn’t end after your first escape :wink:

2 Likes

Escaped once.

3 Likes

Love it :slight_smile:

God mode, though. That makes the game “easier”, if I understood it correctly. Or does it? I’m staying away from it for now.

aaaaahhh … iiinteresting :slight_smile:

It doesn’t make the game easier, it gives you more health the more you die.
It’s a great compromise between ‘challenging’ and ‘giving you the option to actually see the story’.

3 Likes

Man, these devs. They really got their ear to the ground on what kind of experience their players would like to want. Respect.

Took me over 60 iirc. Maybe even 80? A friend did it in 30ish but he’s on pc and using mouse, which seems to make things much easier.

But yeah, the devs feel for A Good Time is incredible. First roguelike I ever played where dying doesn’t just make me want to give up playing.

2 Likes

I think only one has to open a comments section on any FromSoftware game to understand that a lot of people would prefer a difficulty setting on some games.

1 Like

:joy:

Sometimes, I wonder if the argument “But that’s why they’re so rewarding” is just bullshit. It’s like, yeah it was painful and you made it through the game, but did you enjoy it? Or were you just proving a point?

I don’t know :smiley:

Having said that, I have serious respect for what From is doing as well as anyone brave enough to venture out to play through their games, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like