Bought a Nintendo Switch

Disasterpeace, Souleye, and Virt are my favorite modern chip (and chip-style, and pseudo-chip-style :smiley: ) artists. All of their music is stunning.

3 Likes

i probably shouldn’t of asked. i haven’t played that game and it might be a spoiler, idk.

1 Like

The story is one of the lesser elements of the game.

Any element of the story actually takes place, I want to say, 100 years in the past.

love disasterpiece :heart:

2 Likes

Hyper light Drifter -

I chose to do the East section first (cause the dog went over there lol). think I’ve got most of the things in it but got stuck. can’t figure out how to move forward in the east section now, n haven’t a butchers what the map n stuff tell u. no idea :joy: just been buzzin around using my instinct and now my instinct has failed me.
so I’ve sorta given up.

any idea what I should do, or how to understand the map / hints etc?

There is absolutely no reason not to explore any of the areas that you initially have access to.

You’re searching for the little angled rhomboid pieces to bring back to that thing in the town. They help to unlock other areas. I don’t want to say much more than that, so I don’t spoil things, but you can see the areas that you need to hit on your map.

One other tip is that there are sometimes switches off-screen by a little bit to look for that you can shoot with your gun. Tons of hidden platforms and things that you can activate.

2 Likes

yea i been collecting the rhomboid thibgys. got all but 1 now in the east I think.

I don’t understand the map tho, like if I’m in a section n press map the complete local area isn’t shown on it, just certain bits. and frequently my location on the map is vague. I feel stupid

cool, I’ll have another look for more stuff like that. thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played my last playthrough a few months back now, but I could hop in, and take a look at the map, and report back with some information on it for you. Since that time I’ve been back in Hollow Knight yet again, and in Elden Ring, so my mind is emptied of all other games at the moment. :smiley:

2 Likes

that’s really sound of u.

I’m back in music mode now but when I get back into it & get stuck again ill give u a shout :grin:

1 Like

Map doesn’t help all that much, since it’s more a matter of providing a set of locations more than your actual movement around.

However, I don’t find Hyper Light Drifter to be a game about exploring in that sense. You pick a direction and once there, it’s a fairly straight forward path to the final fights. A few detours along the way, but not the Metroid-ish kind of exploring.

So if you’re stuck, you probably just need to look a little closer for a set of stairs hidden among the trees, a door you can open that you couldn’t before (the game circles you back to the same locations frequently, but on a set path) or a switch that reveals invisible plates that allow you to travel across seemingly void areas (that aren’t, though).

On occassion, a little backtracking helps - you might’ve done something that unlocked something you passed a minute or go.

But so far, and I’m halfway through north now and all done with east, I’ve been on a straight path, noway near as obfuscating as Metroid Dread or Hollow Knight.

The difficulty spikes, though. There’s some rage quitting going on here now, when I’m in the north section. I love the save game system. Very much just start straight where you died and work it again. The boss fights are like, just back in the ring again with another go. Totally into that.

Which means whenever the designers “forgot” (or whatever) to plant decent save points, I feel like they’re doing this to hurt me.

2 Likes

I do wonder why not all games apply this decent save game system, though. Not even Dark Souls benefit from their silly Back to the Bonfire-system. I’m calling it - it’s just sloppy level design, period. Then people go “It’s part of the adrenaline rush so I like it, in the same way some enjoy pain.”

No you don’t like it. You just talk yourself into liking it, because it’s still culturally accepted with punishing save game design. But one day, we’ll have a movement that gets rid of that, too.

Politely disagree - this is a matter of taste (and as a result, design choice), not sloppy design.

3 Likes

Dark Souls - no doubt a conscious design choice.

Hyper Light - not so sure. Since it’s inconsistent and almost always, very much restart right where you died. Except a few times, when it’s not and the passages you need to repeat, just don’t provide you with a new experience. Just a repetition of something you’ve already accomplished.

There are a few sections in Breath of the Wild - not counting shrines - where the save game feature is disabled and a restart is part of the challenge. While brutal, it always makes sense when this mechanic is active.

Except for one place. Where the disabling of save game makes no sense and is also severely punishing. Much debate has been made about this particular section, people analysing back and forth.

But you know, sometimes even brilliant designers just mess up and don’t get it right. They forget, they misjudge, they go “Oh … that one passed release? Uh, okay.” I think that section in BoTW was such a one. They just messed up.

To From Software’s credit, they’re super consistent in this regard, like the Metroid games. At least you know what you’re for, early on.

But really, I don’t care. Hyper Light is worth it, the few times I run into these passages.

Do yourselves a favor and plan to play this masterpiece. And go in as blind as possible.

3 Likes

Whats it about?

Ok fine just a bit of info

8 Likes

I actually got a bit sad until I clicked the expander :grinning:

2 Likes

You’re the only one to successfully roll me lately aside from my daughter who can do it live in real-time somehow…. :smiley:

3 Likes

You adults are too trusting of us children.

3 Likes