Bought a Nintendo Switch

Lucky you, Dorfromantik comes out on switch, check it out if you like light “city management/puzzle” games.
A good game.

3 Likes

That looks very relaxing.

1 Like

Yes, but it leaves the possibility of more hardcore play if you want to try the toughest challenges.

1 Like

Getting off electronic devices which just waste my time is the toughest challenge!

1 Like

Two days… Bayonetta 3… My daughter and I have been waiting patiently, but have now run out of patience. :smiley: Have to buy two copies, because we’re both going to be playing it non-stop.

2 Likes

What surprised me about hollow knight was how immersive it was. I would turn my lights down low, put headphones on and just totally lose myself in it.

5 Likes

It’s amazing when a 2D game achieves this.

The ones that have for me in recent years:
Hollow Knight
Sundered
Dead Cells
Hyper Light Drifter
Axiom Verge
Haiku the Robot
Songbringer
Resolutiion
Aggelos
Metroid Dread

These all had a thick atmosphere that just pulled me into the world. There are others too, but these instantly sprang to mind.

Side Note, and not Switch related: One of my favorite 2D games of this kind (full immersion) was Ultima VIII: Pagan. It just had the right dark atmosphere, imagery, music, etc. Not a lot of people liked it compared to others in the series, but I found it absolutely stunning and engrossing.

3 Likes

I’m currently playing Metroid: Dread - I love it - but I don’t lose myself in it the way I did with hollow knight.

On the other hand Metroid: Prime was definitely super atmospheric for me…

4 Likes

Hollow Knight definitely did that more for me as well. Dread did during actual exploration, the issue is that it pulls you out of that for silly bounce-tasks too much. (at least I think that’s what did it for me) It wasn’t as fluid.

Sundered though, that one does it BIG TIME.

1 Like

I was ultimately disappointed with Dread for that reason. It was not a game about exploration and as a consequence you couldn’t relish in the very cool atmospheres they did create…

5 Likes

I still enjoyed it a lot, but not in the Super Metroid / Axiom Verge sort of way. More like action/puzzle/platformer sort of way.

1 Like

Not to be rude, but Axiom Verge has pretty ugly style (for my taste) that turned me off and I stopped playing it on the first day. I keep hearing good things about Sundered and Hollow Knight, but from what I see I get the same impression of those two.

I think Hyperlight Drifter is an absolute masterpiece, though. Super Metroid is up there as well in terms of atmosphere, and Dead Cells is just so damn fun, even if it frustrates the hell of out of me half the time.

1 Like

Hyper Light Drifter :heart:

6 Likes

Hollow Knight is a gorgeous game, and is not 16-bit pixel art style at all.

3 Likes

The two Ori games should be at the top of the list

1 Like

Yeah I had a feeling someone would say that. I’m not going to argue whether it’s 16-bit pixel art style because that seems pretty objective, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve seen plenty of videos and screenshots of it, and I can’t hang with it. I’m no purist, either - I think Cuphead, for example, is a fantastic-looking game, just way too hard for my hammy fists.

1 Like

I just started alien isolation on the switch. It’s currently on sale for 15€ and I’ve read some good things about the port. I’m really impressed about the graphics and that it runs so smoothly. The atmosphere is incredibly dense and the production value is off the charts, highly recommended!

2 Likes

I’ve been gaming for 40 years now (started with an Atari 2600 back in the 80’s), but there were very few games that were so addictive as Hollow Knight. And I am not even a big fan of metroidvania-style games. Usually I stick to adventure games and real platformers.

But I just kept on going with HK until game completion. For example: I really made it my mission to collect all the charms. Don’t exactly know why. Most games I just do the main story and never touch again, even if I have 42% completion or so.

3 Likes

Are we the same person?

Add Waverace 64 to that list tho

2 Likes

I just bought this too but haven’t started yet. It looks so good, I couldn’t pass it up. Thanks for the report.

1 Like