Bowie made some good songs but

Doesn’t sound like sambabutt to me but does make me want some pisco.

1 Like

wasn’t referring to you obw, your op has nothing to do with this thread lol

That takes some heat off. I don’t mean to count controversy but in hindsight I have been thrown out of a couple bars for telling the bartender that the stones blow.

1 Like

whaaaat, them there be fightin words :grin:

2 Likes

That, Ruby Tueaday, Painted Black and Wild Horses are the only tracks that should be on a best of album…

you can’t always get what you want

not to mention

and my fav stones song of all

1 Like

Boring band, the gentrification of rock and blues. Never understood why they’re so highly valued.

Don’t tell me tell those blowhard bartenders who I tipped too much!

Ah, good you clarified that. Then I have no idea why you would compare a worldwide phenomenon that occurred over a timespan of several millennia to a musical genre that can be pinned down at a couple of decades.

I agree, hardcore is the part that resonated more with me, too.

I don’t like most of his art and music, I rather like him as a person, a character. In a weird way though. He was sort of chameleon, imitator, copycat. But he was near every big cultural phenomenon of 20th century like Andy Warhol or Kraftwerk.
He influenced Bauhaus and introduced Klaus Nomi to the world, that’s big points for me. And recorded at least a dozen of good songs :smiley:

2 Likes

I liked his 90s Fish Called Wanda type suits more than anything. It was a hard look.

I like the Lets Dance album…but thats about it.

What really struck me - his last works.
When I first saw these videos the first time I felt something unsettling. It looked so dark and disturbing. What was it? Another new mask, another story or character? Was it?

No, he was already dying from cancer and this album and videos were recorded literally days before his passing. I am not sure I can find good words to describe properly my feelings, but it’s just incredible for an artist to end life like this

12 Likes

Blackstar is a pretty staggering finale. Making art from his own dying.

edit: although 'Tis a Pity She was a Whore is kind of hilariously off-message…the exception that proves the rule

3 Likes

And of course this gem:

5 Likes

Well in response to this, really. This dominant culture, hierarchy between artist and audience had been in place for a relatively short time. Punk was in a way just waiting to happen, much like hip hop. They are communal and and accessible like folk music has always been.

1 Like

Is this another sub genre to memorise?

… pardon?

Well, it seems to me that you are questioning whether the ‘artist’ is so morally reprehensible that their art itself is tainted. So is there a doubling of all existing genres to create a sub category under each one, of ‘tainted’ art?

Receiving transmission from David Bowie’s nipple antennae…

3 Likes