Cats

Not sure where you are in the world but when you go to Battersea cats and dogs home (here in the UK) they ask you about your home setup and what sort of cat you might like in terms of age, personality etc. Cats have behaviour patterns like people and they can try to match you with a cat (or two) that would work for you depending on your home, situation, kids etc.

Thee is a very real risk they will scratch your furniture, soil in the house etc (at least at first) but they can be trained and they tend to relax over time once they get to know you and your environment.

You can get as much or as little help as you want if you go to these animal rescue places.

We took two older cats (11 and 14) and they had some behavioural issues and took some time to settle but they are now very relaxed and affectionate and we can’t imagine life without them. Pets can be life-changing but you need to be patient and understand that they aren’t just teddy bears, they are living things with wants and needs. They actually aren’t that complicated when it comes down to it, if you give them time to settle and a good environment (feed them properly, learn how to interact with them properly) then they will give you a lot of love in return.

7 Likes

So apparently she had been there months because no one wanted an older cat with a few health issues. As soon as my missus saw that post, she was like fuck that, we are going to get her now :grinning:

13 Likes

We took the two old cats (see my above post) after asking which cats were most in need of a home. They had been in the animal home too long because most people don’t want older ones, black ones (childish superstitions) or two together. They don’t separate pairs that have ben together for years.

People are idiots. They are absolutely lovely, well-behaved and affectionate after some time to settle. We haven’t suddenly had bad luck because we have black cats, because thats not a real thing and we don’t live in a fairy tale.

5 Likes

Excellent comment. We just adopted a new, younger cat and I forgot what a nightmare their energy can be. Our two senior cats simply want to eat, sleep and occasionally be pet…and they have mostly given up on jumping on tables and countertops.

1 Like

Re: outdoor cats, just going to leave this here:

“…the average lifespan of an indoor cat ranges from 10 to 20 years, whereas cats who go outdoors typically live only 2 to 5 years.”

2 Likes

We had a cat when I was young that went outside, she lived to 26. The vet said she was the second oldest cat they’d ever seen.

the average cat lifespan is about 17 and more cats are outdoors than indoors, at least in the UK.

I have numerous friends and family with outdoor cats they’ve had for more than a decade.

Those numbers are suspicious to say the least.

EDIT - I see that’s a US animal charity/group so I understand it may be different than the UK. The consensus here with vets and animal groups is that cats should be allowed to go outside unless they have certain health issues. We don’t really have animal control that catch and “euthanise” animals here. Thankfully.

2 Likes

You pick the cat that picks you. You may like the look of some cats, but if they shy away, or ignore you…that cats not for you. One that reaches out or rubs up against the cage when you’re near…they like you. They’ll be great at home.

The only shitty thing about going to get a rescue, for me anyways, is it’s so hard to leave the rescue Center leaving cats behind.

Get one. There’s no worry. They are great little buddies.

14 Likes

Yeah totally agree, I would have taken them all if I could.

5 Likes

My Mom’s 20+ year old cat died on Xmas eve :crying_cat_face: had to drive down there to bury the poor thing. Spread a bunch of decomposing borage vines over the plot in hopes she helps to give them a good head start in Spring.

9 Likes

Just chilling…

35 Likes

Anyone have tips for preventing a 1 y/o kitten from chewing cables? They are desperate to get in this room, but I’ve got quite a mess of cables so it seems unreasonable to spray that stuff all over the place.

Maybe just better cable management and sheathing is the solution?

1 Like

Cats always wanna go in closed doors.
We leave all our doors open cuz one of our cats will do jumping flip kicks on a closed door. So annoying :grimacing:

Re cables: that ones tuff. They just need to learn that cables are a big NO. And some just never learn. So yes, your best bet might be some creative cable hiding.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, one of the two kittens knows well enough now to not chew on them, but the other one just seems to love that sweet metal and rubber taste. I do hope it’s something that will improve with age.

2 Likes

Urinate on your cables ?
My territory ! :content:

I didn’t know about cat chewing cables. Known for rabbits…
I was afraid for my monitoring speakers but it’s ok…

3 Likes

Maybe try dried citrus nestled among your cables

1 Like

This was Tango today, telling me enough with the Jamuary, and that it was time to play.

28 Likes

23 Likes

I understand this point of view but first, as @tallrobphilp says not every place nor every cat is the same. And more than this, I wouldn’t keep my kids indoor just so they don’t risk to be killed by a car.

For me, these numbers feel a bit like saying that bikes are more likely to be stolen outside, so you’ll keep yours indoor to avoid the risk.
To me, a cat is a living soul that needs to see the nature.

2 Likes

Nature is for poor cats. Meow prefer pianos…

14 Likes

To be fair to our American cousins I’m aware that there are more natural predators than in the UK. I visited California in 2018 and our hosts kept their cat inside (or at least, they tried to) because there were wild animals that actually killed the cats there.

It’s a tricky one for sure, the balance between giving them a “natural” life and protecting them.

2 Likes