Chase Bliss Habit

So do you find it easier to get results with mood then habit?

I can see Habit being great for getting stems out jam where you’ve just been playing around… mood seems better for when your sequencing stuff where you can focus on the pedal while the audio is being played.

That’s interesting…

So do you prefer Mood or Habit?

Guess the same question goes to you @circuitghost all though I’m expecting a “why not both” type of answer :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think I prefer Mood because it’s really, truly unique, and if you like unconventional sounds/experimentation there are all kinds of sweet spots. On the left side I adore the slip mode when dialled into a harmonic interval (keep in mind this is fairly tricky beyond Octave Up/Down), and the reverb is definitely not a ‘good’ reverb but it has a lot of character. The interplay between that side and the microlooper can get you some wild things, and honestly the shared + tuned clock speed idea is absolutely genius. I’m obsessed with the crunchy sample rate reduced stuff you get with really low clock speeds, and if you set up your MIDI right you can play and sequence the clock speed to get really interesting results - simple octave + fifth melodies, but significantly enhanced by the timbral changes across the clock rates. I think of it more as a very unusual sample-based synth than an effects pedal.

Habit is very nice as well, but I feel like I can exert less of myself over the experimental end of what it can do. It sounds ‘nice’ ‘more often’ than Mood, and I do think the sound of the memory being scrubbed gets you quite unique results too… buuuut I’d choose the Mood if I had to pick. My goal with these boxes is unusual sound design though so YMMV. I’m also way way way more experienced with Mood, so it might just be that I’m biased by knowing all the hidden depths in a way that I don’t with Habit. It’s not so clear to me that there is a whole heap beyond what I’ve discovered though…

1 Like

Interesting you should mentioned that as I was just now looking at a really nice demo by Abel de Beer… but he was using a midi box and I’m wondering if that is really necessary?
Shouldn’t a standard midi din to TRS (a or b) (cable like the ones we get with all of our synths now a days) work, right?

What I really want to do is to easily remix a sequence and sample that to a loop… maybe the reason the demos of Mood are all over the place is because of how deep the pedal is… 80% of the demos are just sonic mush

It’s a 1/4” jack, so TRS A/B cables are no good unfortunately. I’m sure with the right cables and/or adaptors you can get it going, but it’s faff. I have the Disaster Area MIDI Box 4, as you can set the different ring/tip active config for different pedals (Meris pedals need tip active, Chase Bliss need ring active) on the front panel and you can use one DIN cable to go to 4 pedals. Just simplified things for me, I’m sure someone online has worked out exactly what you need if you’ve already got a spare thru box and some cables or soldering skills.

But shouldn’t a stereo converter plug work?

If they haven’t added any other conventions to their midi implementation then it should work just using a stereo 1/4 jack comverter plug and a “standard” midi trs cable…

Having to add another pedal just to get midi is kind of a no for me

Edit:
Chase bliss has a video with different midi configurations and in it CALC explains the wire configuration.

It’s basically a Type B (novation, Arturia ) without the TIP connected.

I’m guessing using a Type B would interfeer with the signal somehow

2 Likes

Mood.

Try as I might, I can’t get that sucker to sound bad. It’s on everything I do.

4 Likes

Well that kind of settles it then :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

Kind of funny cause I just read about you’re review of Mood from 2020 where you stated that you were gonna sell it. What made you change your mind?

My only hesitation is midi implementation, if I can get it to work without the use of an extra box then I’m 100% in

I believe Disaster Area Designs make a cable tailored for specific Chase Bliss use - DIN to TRS and about £15-20. Only reason I haven’t picked one up is UK availability seems patchy

1 Like

I didn’t :sweat_smile:I sold it.

And how I missed it. So I got it back, eventually.

3 Likes

From what Calc says it seems you can just join out the tip connection of a novation midi TRS dongle and you’re good to go

1 Like

You can always order directly from The company. They have some in stock now.

3 Likes

Oooh, Thanks for the heads up!!

1 Like

Apologies in advance, crazy long ramble below:

I had a somewhat similar experience as @circuitghost and @dokev

I purchased it on launch day and messed around with it for a few months, primarily with guitar.

I set up a pedalboard consisting of: Volante, El Capistan, DIG, Polymoon, Echosystem, and Habit. The Habit had far and away the highest quality audio, super HiFi.

I messed around with all of those pedals going into an Aeros Looper and made loop compositions out of them, alternating between one pedal per part (part = 6 tracks), two pedals per part, and three pedals per part. Each track was recorded using only 1 pedal at a time, with no stacked pedals.

I found Stepped Speed, Trimmer, and Filter to be the most useful effects on the Habit, but Stepped Speed can still be pretty finicky to dial in and get useful sounds out of. Trimmer was always easy to dial in and can get you some Drolo Stamme[n]-ish sounds with ease.

I didn’t get along with the Scan knob at all – unless you’re making ambient music in the same key it’ll be hard to get much usefulness out of it unless it’s at it’s lowest possible setting, and even then I would usually just turn it off. Scrubbing/automating the Scan knob didn’t do much for me.

The Spread knob on a very low setting functions as a nice multi-tap delay that isn’t too hard to control and adds a nice second delay. Anything past that didn’t yield useful results for me.

The Size knob is interesting – moving it around doesn’t create artifacts like the Time knob on other delays, but that also makes it much harder to dial in the exact time you want. Tap tempo comes in handy but moving the Size knob even a little after using tap tempo screws it up.

The parts I recorded with the Habit were novel and sounded super high quality, but didn’t really fit into a composition and weren’t really conducive to creating a song ‘world’ on their own. I had a really hard time building interesting parts out of the loops I started with Habit alone, and when I used it to add some flair to parts I made with the other delay pedals, they were fine, but muting them didn’t make me miss them. It felt a little forced.

The pedals I found to be the most fun, creative, useful, intuitive, and quick to create with were the Polymoon, El Capistan, and Volante. The DIG was great too but didn’t take a strong lead on anything. I got some good stuff out of the Echosystem primarily using the more effected modes (ie: Filter, Lo-Fi, Reverse) which added some nice flair that I liked, but it couldn’t really drive a song on its own. I’m sure this is just me – the EchoSystem is nuts and if someone really liked it they could probably recreate every delay sound one could ever want.

Listening back to the 10 or so ‘songs’ I wrote, the Habit parts sound amazing quality-wise, but don’t feel special musically. They’re quirky, weird, and unique but didn’t blow me away. I definitely got an insane amount of wild, high quality sounds out of it, but once they were recorded and I was listening back a week later, it didn’t have much of a feeling to it, it was almost clinical.

On the other hand, the Mood and Blooper (but primarily the Mood) are ALL feeling. Wanna get super specific with what you play into it and how you tweak it? Great, here’s an amazing sound oozing with feeling and emotion. Want to play one note on a $50 Casio keyboard? Fantastic, here’s an amazing sound oozing with feeling and emotion. The Blooper can reach those feelings too but it takes more time and precision.

I chose to sell the Habit because it kept drawing me into playing with it due to visual appeal, sound quality, and curiosity. I was constantly trying to find new ways of working with it, but almost everything I created with it didn’t feel special.

An hour of recording with the Habit might yield a couple sounds I might want to sample and twist around on the Digitakt or Octatrack later. An hour of recording with the Polymoon and I have most of a song composed.

I’m sure people can easily make incredible, special-feeling music with the Habit, but it missed the mark for me. I think that ambient musicians who are less focused on parts and progressions and more focused on subtle movements and variety would get a lot out of it.

Regarding the Microcosm, I had it for a day and just could not get along with it, sold it immediately. I felt like it came with a ghost that just screwed up all of my settings every few seconds. I’m all for ‘playing to the pedal’ but the Microcosm was a little too controlling with too little explanation of what was happening and how to change it.

8 Likes

These thoughts are similar to my own in a lot of ways, especially on the Polymoon and Mood. I like Blooper a ton too.

However, if I take 3 mins in the same key/mode with Habit, I really like what it throws back at me. But, that’s DAW stuff, sample fodder, etc.

I chose to keep my Habit, but I doubt I will ever use it in a performance situation. It’s unlikely to wind up on any pedalboard configuration.

2 Likes

After a few months I’d say setting it to manual makes things much more logical before giving in to the other features. From a synth pov, bells and monophonic/short decay/release synth lines work better than poly stuff. It can get very mushy with a lot of notes coming in.

I’ve never outright hated a piece of gear like I hated the Microcosm. My experience wasn’t negative per se, it was just aggressively average. In about two hours I realized that the demos on youtube exhaust every possible sound it will make. The granular features simultaneously do too much and not enough - like it’s baby’s first granular. It has a lot of featurs, but doesn’t give enough control over those to make it interesting. The upside is that it entirely broke the spell of GAS, and ended my belief that there was over some “missing mystical quality” to certain gear that would improve my music. It turned out that the missing piece for me was effort and knowledge.

Re: the habit, your review - and dozens of others like it - are the reason I haven’t bought it even though I love the demos (although the demos also sound kind of samey, similar to the microcosm). It just seems like it leans heavily towards ambient-ish-noodling and sound exploration. Which is fine, but I’m not here to noodle, I’m here to finish songs.

5 Likes

Love this quote :black_heart:. Felt much the same about the microcosm. Pretty fed up with hearing it now as well.

4 Likes

mildly chaotic

Back in stock at Detroit Modular: https://www.detroitmodular.com/chase-bliss-habit.html

Microcosm imo is really more about adding background texture imo. It’s not a front and center pedal like mood for example.

1 Like