Chase Bliss & Meris CXM 1978 - a reverb, that is

oh man, been thinking of getting a CXM…

I wasn’t interested at first but now I’ve got one on order.

I was going over @circuitghost’s musings and I started listening more closely to YouTube demos.

What’s interesting is that even though you can’t really rely on YouTube for critical listening, I can still hear a tone/quality/character from the CXM, that’s more pleasing to me than all other reverb pedals I’ve owned and eventually sold.

I can appreciate what’s described above regarding the CXM being more than just a good reverb. The potential for it to be more of an integral and symbiotic part of the sound/design process is clear and very exciting.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve not heard a single demo that does this justice on YouTube. Not on fault of the musicians, but it just doesn’t quite come through in that context. You won’t regret your purchase, this one’s timeless.

1 Like

I’m liking mine. The presets are pretty full on. However I’ve gone from not using reverb at all really, to using it and really enjoying it.

Had a guitar jam with a friend and used a home-made preset, still too much (made for keys) and just turned down the mix and that was good.

I think you’ll enjoy it @Artsutanav

1 Like

Yeah, it sounds so good it’s easy to get carried away. My own rule of them is tweak until I get to something I really like the sound of, then look at the mix fader and move it half-way-closer to the bottom :wink:

1 Like

Ha ha yes, brilliant…‘a little bit less :wink:?’

I tend to do it the other way around. Slam the mix into top gear, which usually creates a drone-like texture of just washed away echoes, with the harmonics very subtly in the background to provide structure for what might otherwise be just a long tail. Then, sample that, and let the mayhem begin.

This one right here, is almost only samples from the CXM -

The siren call is a lead which I ran through the CXM at a combination of lo-fi settings and the mix at full. The splashing waves are actually a pad where I moved the faders in a ebb-flow motion kind of way to get the splashing effect, and the general surround vibe of the track comes from the CXM applied on the master with subtle effect, the “hidden delay” activated to create a sense of multiple spaces.

There’s a LOT of CXM on this track, is what I’m saying.

7 Likes

I’m off to bed soon. I’ll have a listen then.

Cheers!

Yeah, that’s good music that is. Great idea

1 Like

:pray:

1 Like

Wow!

Went to sleep listening and put it on the moment I woke up. Absolutely beautiful! I love those subtle flutterings on some of the drum sounds.

Nothing seemed extraneous, or contrived. Just things going on around you at their own leisure and pace. Took me back to moments of my honeymoon in Japan and Bali.

Brilliant stuff, very well done.

1 Like

You’re too kind. And the fact that I can evoke those memories for you, makes it so worthwhile.

2 Likes

Hypothetically speaking (yeah right!)

Is there enough variety to justify using 2 CXM’s, in a very minimal setup and no multitracking?

1 Like

I would imagine your mix would get quite crowded quickly. The CXM is very lush and requires some headroom, and two at the same time at different settings would probably compete with each other frequently.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Appreciate the info.

1 Like

I just love the fact you’ve considered two of them! :black_heart:

2 Likes

It’s against my nature not too.

1 Like

Well played.

2 Likes

Did you ever get this figured out? Bought a used one that is exhibiting similar behavior . . .