Cheap portable speaker for travel studio

Hi, I just bought a Anker Soundcore 2 speaker for connecting with some of the kit I take on holiday- 1010 blackbox, Roland MV1 etc - anything that has a stereo out. I chose the Anker as it had an aux in cable but it comes with a near 200 ms latency - totally unusable. Has anyone found a good solution to this need that balances affordability, size/weight and quality? Cheers.

got a divoom rock as “use wherever” solution. also latency but not as bad and i got used to it.
i searched for a long time and theres really no better solution than using headphones, which is sad because its way more pleasant to make music on speakers.

there might be a good portable bluetooth speaker out there, but its really a lottery when it comes to latency, because no one is testing them for that.

worst part is that random people connect to it sometimes and blast me at 100% volume with music and calls, and theres no way to turn off bluetooth :drunk:

smallest regular speaker setup is probably iloud micro. they might work fine if you want to take them with you and use stationary at a desk, but they are definitely not lap friendly.

You might try one of the Yamaha THR series amplifiers with bluetooth connectivity, which are designed to replace guitar amps and so have very low latency, at least to my ears. Mine’s got a stereo aux in as well as the bluetooth, I use it with my drum machines and synths all the time.

get a Bose S1.
chargeable, 3 inputs, reverb and eq. sounds fantastic. it’s basically the standard

actually this reminded me about Roland BTM-1, also has guitar input. i think i wanted to try it but it was either too expensive or unavailable at the time.

Bose S1 is 499£!! A little on the rich side for me! I was hoping to find something for £30 that has zero latency stereo in Jack - not bothered about Bluetooth but you can’t seem to avoid it. I’m sure I had something from Sainsbury’s that did this 10 years ago for £20! I can’t believe how complicated this has become!

2 Likes

@Kegeratorz does your portable speaker have any latency problems?

30??

200ms latency on the aux cable ? ! !

1 Like

I never noticed any latency with my JBL flip 4 using the aux in. They do however have an audio timeout that’s incredibly annoying and have yet to find a way to disable.

Ironically, I have a flip 6 on the way as the battery time is shit on the aging 4. I’ll test and report back!

2 Likes

for the record, what’s the approximate price in USD on the flip series?

Picked up the flip six on Amazon for $99 a few days ago.

The 4 sounds great so I can only assume the 6 will be great too.

1 Like

About 80 pound sterling new. 30 might be a hard find but 60-80 is probably achievable.

Scratch that on the Flip 6, no aux input on it. Didn’t even bother to check until now.

Fine for me as I just need for the summer. A little reggae and an ice cold beverage on the deck!

I bought the Tribit XSound Go, the budget recommendation on Wirecutter, for something like $37 USD. I haven’t noticed any latency using a cable.

2 Likes

The minirig 3 is really good with no noticeable latency. The battery lasts forever too

2 Likes

JBL Go 1 (the later ones might not have line in) ÂŁ30 sounds ok, unfortunately has bluetooth (I hate bluetooth audio) but does have line in with no latency.

Or IKEA Eneby if you want something a bit bigger. It has a stupid “Eco” setting where it powers down if no signal is present for a little while, but I came up with a mod that defeats it, just remove a resistor.

Edit: Also Gear4 street party (1st version) used to be ok, stereo and line in, and an actual power switch not one of those stupid momentary switches that you have to hold for a second.

2 Likes

Thanks, I may go this route and cancel the JBL!

2 Likes

I like my Teenage Engineering OB-4 a lot and while expensive does a lot more than just a wireless bluetooth speaker. I use mine all the time whether in gym listening to music or as a portable monitor with my synths.

the guy said $37

5 Likes