Circuitghost's workflow with the blackbox

I’ve been asked on and off how I go about doing stuff with the blackbox, so I figured I’d create a thread on it. I don’t presume I have much worthwhile to say on the subject, prepare to be disappointed, but after getting the question for maybe the hundredth time, I suppose it’s worth to post the answer in one place.

First, there are no computers involved in my song writing. I don’t mind computers or daws, and I’m somewhat proficient with Logic. But for some reason, I reach the results I want a lot faster with hardware. I am in general a practically oriented person, so perhaps it’s just the way I’m wired. But it’s not a statement, it’s not an ideological preference, it’s just what I like.

I never approach song writing with intent. I don’t sit down and think, “Okay. It’s time to write a track. It’s the first one in a new EP or a show I’m putting together.” I follow a whim and do something with it. So one some days, I might think “I should try and record some improvisations from my piano” or “I should knock out some loops from my Prophet 12” or “I should bring out my Chase Bliss pedals and just resample a lot of stuff.” These whims can be quite specific, though. Like “I should record a long section from my Prophet 5, and use only that recording in as many ways as I can to see if I can build an entire track out of it. Resampling it, pitch it down, run it through a granular engine, and merge all these parts together.” I guess that’s intent in some way.

Whatever I do, I record it directly into the blackbox. Unless it’s resampling, I always record dry, with the exception when fx are used not to enhance but as an inherent part of sound design - say the Prophet 12’s delay, which is a pretty weak delay until you use it as anything else but a classic delay. Then, it becomes very powerful.

So the blackbox is my hub for all my material. It goes directly in there. Piano into blackbox. Chase Bliss pedal resampling into blackbox. Prophets into blackbox. Only exception is field recordings. I copy those into the blackbox.

Most of my material, as a consequence, aren’t midi sequences but just raw samples. You could look at it as meters and meters of tape, stored into the blackbox. It has the liberating effect that once a recording is done, it’s done. No sequences to tweak, p-locks to play with, drums to program. The flipside of this is that most recordings turn out pretty bad. If I record five things, I save maybe one. Maybe. The rest, I delete. There is no chest with unused material in my library. I have maybe 4GB of samples in total, most of them longer loops. One shots are drums, and I got maybe 30-40 of each category - kicks, hats, snares and so on. And honestly, four times out of five, I use my DFAM samples anyway from the time when I had one. Years ago, as it were.

This goes on for weeks and months. When I acquire new gear, whatever I do with them that’s worth something, I record into the blackbox. Syntakt loops? Into the box. Circuit Rhythm beats? Into the blackbox. Jamming with a mate on his Moog Grandmother? Into the blackbox. Trying out an Arturia Polybrute? Into the blackbox. I even have some old Monotribe loops that I’m going to use some day.

I never apply effects to the blackbox mix. Any delays, reverbs or distortions you might’ve heard, are loops that are resampled through Chase Bliss gear, out through the blackbox, through a pedal, back into the blackbox. The blackbox can monitor and resample hardwired inputs just fine, so there’s no need for an additional interface. Again, while this means I’m locked and committed to that loop, it also means I can’t tweak it much. Just get on with the song writing. If it’s no good, I won’t use it. If it’s good, then great.

I’m well aware there are enormous amounts of great outboard gear. I’m not committed to Chase Bliss out of principle. I am committed to Chase Bliss gear because I have little time to explore and find gear that I understand, can learn, and reaches a sound I want. Chase Bliss ticks all my boxes. They are literally the pedal version of my character. So I won’t be looking elsewhere for options, because time vs. the reason to do so, doesn’t add up.

Eventually, pieces of these whims start to fit together. Stuff I recorded months ago, fit with something I did just yesterday. And those connections might lead to something I did two years ago, and a recording I made maybe last week, and all these pieces gravitate towards each other. At that point, I start browsing and putting together samples in the blackbox with a purpose. I suppose you could call that intent as well.

Once I’m in this mode, I use the blackbox pattern sequencer to launch and stop loops from a pattern. Usually, I just use one pattern per sample but sometimes, I use two or three per pattern. Drum loops or very specific ambient texture experiences. Most of the time, I use the blackbox envelopes to create fades and transitions, since they’re both soft and long (very long, actually). When a sample is in Toggle mode, the transitions you can create with loops are seamless and beautiful. Who needs automation when you got this? Not me. And if you slice up a loop, set the slice playback to random, apply polyphony and start and stop it from a pattern sequence, you got a self-generating piece of music. I don’t use this trick much now, but I used it frequently when I first started out with the blackbox. And somehow, the granular engine applies a kind of melancholy to whatever that runs through it, which seems to fit my vibe pretty well.

Launching and stopping patterns from the sequencer all happen independently from each other, so once I got a batch of samples going that fit together, I improvise a performance by simply starting and stopping patterns. As soon as I got something that feels like it could be a strong part of the song, I record it into the blackbox Song mode. And once I got enough of those clips, I got a song.

The Song mode in blackbox is surprisingly powerful, since it further expands on the philosophy that each sample and pattern runs its own course in the blackbox. The Song mode allows for patterns to keep playing across clips without resetting, which means that if you got some idea of all the abstracts going on with your loops, you can create long and seamless performances that fade in and out independently of each other, with full control over when they start and stop. The envelopes make sure you get the soft transitions and your batch of patterns per clip in the Song mode, decides when to start and stop certain passages. Once you get an idea of how all this can fit together, there’s not much you can’t do within this realm of sampling and performance.

Once I got a song that I like, I use the blackbox filter to shape the samples to fit the mix and then the master EQ to further squeeze it into place. I always use the compressor and push the gain enough to just about hear that it’s active. If I write five songs this way, maybe one actually makes it into a Soundcloud post. Of ten Soundcloud posts, maybe one ends up on an EP or inspires a track that goes there. All my mixing and mastering is done on an SSL SiX and Fusion.

If I get enough songs that I feel belong together, that becomes an EP. I’ll never write a full album.

And that’s it, really.

I hope this helps you in some way and if you got questions, fire away.

53 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been curious how you do it since I bought my BB a year and a half ago. This is great.

2 Likes

If your setup is on a setup thread could you link it here? Just for visual reference.

3 Likes

Truly inspiring - thank you so much for this!

1 Like

Ya…a video would be awesome. Had the blackbox a few different times and really need the visual to understand all this. I’m still a newbie.

2 Likes

Well this thread is of perfect timing, seeing as I’ve bought my blackbox back………

2 Likes

Really interesting read @circuitghost, thanks for sharing!

So do you split the material up on the BB x3 outs and send then into the SiX for the mixing/mastering? Then record the main out of the Six?

2 Likes

That’s good of you to share! It also saves you answering the same question over and over.

Oddly (or not) enough this similar to the way I work with my DAW and all of my studio gear.

I keep recording things and trying things until I have amassed a collection of sounds, samples, long recordings of live playing, midi etc. This is in one DAW project that I open and save every so often.

Then I start to try various things together until I find the magic gems and then expand on that.

It’s actually a great way to separate the processes of writing music. You have an idea and collection stage, followed by grouping and arrangement stage. Then a final mix and/or master.

I end up not using a lot of things too. It’s nice when you feel like it needs something else to have a collection of things you made to dig through though.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it’s a productive method even outside of the Blackbox.

7 Likes

I don’t really have a setup since I don’t have a space, just a small desk. So most of the time, I bring kits out and put them back when I’m done. The one kit that’s always on the desk is just the blackbox.

@therockfrog I’m not a video guy, so you’d just be disappointed with my noisy and shabby cell phone camera work. But I get it, some prefer visuals. Maybe I’ll get around to it some day.

@brucegill I used to, but now I just send the stereo out through the Fusion and then from the Fusion through the SiX compressor. To that end, I’m likely selling my SiX and getting a Bus+ at some point.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, found that really interesting to read all in one place.

Do you ever resample running through the BB master eq (I’m not even sure if that’s possible without creating a feedback loop?)?

Also curious about how you approach projects/presets on the BB? Do you follow any kind of structure when you’re creating samples but not necessarily songwriting… ? Like prophet 12 preset, syntakt preset, preset by whatever date you were sampling etc? I usually approach each preset as though I’m sitting down to write a track, but I do grab stuff from other half finished ‘tracks’.

1 Like

Nope :slight_smile:

I tend to group samples into the tracks where I end up using them, so I don’t have a library of say kicks, sequences, bass lines and stuff. I batch them together into tracks, half finished or complete. Then, I usually borrow from different tracks into new songs, so there’s lots of elements from already finished songs that I use in new tracks, but mostly then in a warped way - resampled, chopped up, mangled or whatnot. But it’s like, “That loop from that song was nice. If I use it here, but just two seconds of it, pitch it down an octave and reverse it through the granular engine …”

2 Likes

Nice, that’s pretty much the answer I expected. There’s something really nice about the way the BB workflow makes it just a bit easier to cannibalise your own stuff rather than record in something new, and then pack it into a new preset.

And are you setup so that you’re always monitoring through the BB, or are you more likely to sit down and play and then bring it out when you find something you like?

1 Like

Always through the BB. You never know when lightning strikes. I’m seconds away from hitting Record on the BB if something presents itself worth saving.

3 Likes

Yes, I understand…I’ve tried to do a few vids and have no knack for it.

With my MPC Keys, A4, Rytm, MM2 and SP404mk2…I have enough stuff to make music…now just need to learn it all and learn how to make tunes!

Have you ever looked into the Octatrack for the functionality you are currently using the BB for?

I was on the Octatrack for years, and it was my main weapon of choice until I was on the blackbox.

From time to time, I’ve returned to the OT temporarily just to remember it. I always enjoy it and it can def do all the things the blackbox can, that matters.

But there’s something about the blackbox that just lets me finish songs, once I get an idea in my head. On the OT, I always got stuck in the loop somehow.

2 Likes

this is very inspiring. thanks for sharing. the comments about the overall compositional architecture with transitions and overlapping sequences really give me something to work toward

i guess you mentioned that you don’t really do this, but since im new to this workflow, im was wondering if it would be smart to sort of half-implement my elektron sequencing style of looping here with just the Blackbox. so i was trying to record midi in via launchpad and have that recorded midi trigger my synth so i can record those loops alittle more precisely than i can play them freehand

have you tried this? i think i have the midi set up fine, midi keys in via launchpad midi out channel, then midi out via individual pad, or SEQ “Midi”/“info” menu Midi Out on Synth midi ch.

the problem is, that i can’t figure out exactly how to record incoming midi from an external controller/keyboard & where exactly that midi information should be stored. is it stored in the SEQ page inside of a sequence on the “midi”/“keys” piano roll, does it have to go through KEYS grid mode from the seq page, as if i were recording chromatic notes to a recorded sample on a PAD, do i hit rec from SEQ page as if i were to sequence of clip launches?

i apologize if this deserves to go on the 1010 forum or something, uit
this is what i’ve sort of loosely gathered: record something arbitrary of arbitrary length to a blank (clip?, set to ‘Gate’ trigger mode rather than toggle), mute that pad, but after that its a little fuzzy. i probably need to get a better grasp on the overall structure and finish reading the manual but i was also interested in how you may have practically used a similar technique in your workflow

1 Like

FWIW I know that @circuitghost has reported that this works fine (if a bit fiddly) but I don’t know if the exact steps have been documented,

2 Likes

Hey, yep, it works.

Hook up your midi input device to blackbox midi in. Keyboard, launchpad, whatever you want to use that the blackbox can handle. USB midi tend to be a bit fiddly for me, so I always go for the mini-ports for 5-pin midi.

Load a sample. This is important and this is where most people get lost. A blank patch won’t record your input.

Pick a pattern. Assign that pattern to the midi channel you’re sending. Usually ch1, if you’re just hooking up stuff and haven’t tweaked anything. This is also where many get lost - they confuse this with the sample’s incoming midi channel. But to record midi data, you assign the midi channel to the appropriate pattern, not the sample.

Make sure you got a sample selected. Make sure you got a pattern selected that has the right incoming midi channel. Press Record and go :slight_smile:

Also, mute the sample if you don’t want to play it, but only want to hear whatever incoming audio you’re sequencing or sampling.

It’s a bit fiddly, but in this fiddliness there’s also flexibility which you’ll appreciate more and more as you get into the midi parts of the blackbox.

4 Likes

One thing that i really miss about Blackbox is the great display you have over all the samples running… your compositional style really lends itself well to the blackbox…

Personally I really like the idea of even performing this way, because every performance would be slightly different based on how you decide to trigger each sample. It’s one aspect that makes me consider it again, the real shame though is that you can basically on run 3 granular engine at the same time without the device bugging out…

I realize that I can do a similar performance by running the Octatrack in freerunning mode, but there’s something about the great oversight you have with the blackbox that is really appealing.

2 Likes