Cirklon V2

Agree with all of this. I’ve had my Cirklon for 4 years and use it every day, it’s indispensable in my studio and the fact that I own one still excites me :slight_smile: … the recent splitradix videos will help your learning curve a lot, as will sitting down just with the Cirklon plus a simple synth with a speaker like the korg volca.

4 Likes

oh man the Volca Sample really came alive when I set up instruments in the Cirklon for it, with track values for each one, that can themselves be sequenced (parameter locks, basically). it’s great how it can bypass a simpler, more inferior sequencer and make the instrument come alive. (of course, you can do this with software as well, but hardware is more fun!)

4 Likes

Benjamin Damage did another lockdown set. can see the Cirklon better, but if you don’t have any familiarity with it, you’ll still be lost.

4 Likes

I sequence my Elektrons from my Cirklon, I don’t use their sequencers. Elektron boxes have excellent midi implementations. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m desperately waiting for the ability to assign a midi channel to a row in CK patterns. Colin has hinted that this is something he is working on (apparently wants it for his own set up so :crossed_fingers:).
This would make sequencing the RYTM from the cirk a lot better. I’ve tried having a P3 track per RYTM channel, but it much nicer to programme drums on CKs.

Nice!

however… you can’t mute individual rows in a CK pattern. it’s been requested; and maybe it’s something Colin will do if he allows midi channels for each row in CK’s…

but for now, if you have a drum beat going in a CK pattern and want to drop the snare/hats/whatever out, you need to make a new pattern. and obviously this makes it more tricky to jam by muting/un-muting individual instruments on the fly. I use P3’s to sequence drums, but the machines I’m sequencing (Acidlab boxes, and Vermona DRM) only respond to notes/velocity anyway. and swing is easier to get for one instrument this way.

Out of interest, what do you do about P-locking - if you do that sort of thing?

Tie the parameters to note velocity perhaps…?

you can essentially P-lock with the Cirklon. it’s not done 100% the same but you can set Track Values (CC’s) on any step either manually or by just recording knob turns.

here’s a what it looks like when you’re editing manually, one-by-one:

here’s the view when they’re recorded live:

1 Like

How’s the accuracy / timing though when doing that? If the gap between note on and controller data jitters, then you could have odd effects.

Although, I guess critical stuff could be tied to velocity?

I’ve not had issues with it, but I don’t sequence a large number of parameters this way. and I don’t sequence my Elektron machines (other than pattern change messages) from the Cirklon. fair question though.

It’s super tight. I’ve never experienced jitter with the cirklon when sequencing external gear( I have with the octatrack though)

2 Likes

That’s right, but not absolute. Three or two synths are enough to take the Cirklon to it’s fondamental core : Use AUXes and pattern programming.

2 Likes

I never use more than 4 or 5 synths anyway (usually one per port). I totally agree with @elenacortes. just make sure those couple of synths have good midi implementations.

4 Likes

I can’t find where it was but I swear someone here was looking for a the eurorack BoB recently… anyway, they have a handful of BoB’s and drum muxes available now.

1 Like

I was involved in that chat… and it seems like one of the mods has moved the discussion into nirvana :grinning:

This is a great overview of the Cirklon Auxes. It’s worthwhile viewing for anybody with a Cirklon, and also may be worth watching by those wondering what the Cirklons Auxes are all about. It’s over 3 hours long so it’s not for a quick skim…

Edit- I thought it would inbed the video, but obviously not…
Mod edit: just paste the youtu.be link with nothing else on the line

7 Likes

Yeah, he’s been making some brilliant videos. They are all worth checking out if a cirklon user.

3 Likes

I do not have and do not intend to order one and I watch all of his videos.
(question of budget and patience, not that I denigrate the beast, far from it)

2 Likes

But 3,3 hours?!??
This guy likes a low pace…

All time stamped tho.
He has a soothing Irish accent and is pretty funny too so…

6 Likes