Comparison of AD DA converters

I am studying from forums, since I live in Costa Rica, without the possibility of testing gears in person.

I was originally interested in Lynx Aurora N. Then I saw comparisons in quality with RedLine 16T, then someone recommended me an RME MADIface USB connected to Avid / Euphonix AM-713 and AM-703 (cheap, used on sites like ebay or reverb). This last option was even said that, although many would not think the same, there are people who prefer them to a Lynx Aurora.

Basically I want the best possible quality, if I chose a cheaper option I wouldn’t be sacrificing sound quality and converters. What do you think? Thanks.

Unless you plan on using AD/DA for mastering compression, limiting, and EQ then you can’t hear the difference. Most interfaces in the last 7 years have gotten to a high level of quality for a good price. More expensive isn’t always better. If you plan on just tracking your synths and drum machines then anything will work. Save your money for more noise making devices instead of the Internet forum noise.

7 Likes

Yes, I plan to buy later a summing mixer, a rupert neve master bus portico and some equalizer. Because I live here I will have to produce, mix and master everything I compose and play.

Then make the investment on something that has a dynamic range of -121dB or higher with a. Soft clip option. I have the Neve MBP and it’s so easy to hit the red sometimes. It’s like putting your foot on the pedal lightly and going 160kmph in 8 seconds.

1 Like

What converters do you recommend? I’m going to need at least 16 analog inputs, minimum.

If you are tracking then any interface will do.

Once you need to do the AD/DA loop for your final master then you will need the mastering AD/DA.

Universal Audio Apollo X6
ADI-2 Pro FS
Lynx Hilo
Merging Anubis. It was really meant for people who like to master classical music and jazz. This works well for electronic music applications too. If you are on a tight budget this is the one to get,
Burl ADC. You can hit this hard and get a tape feel but it comes at the cost of losing some low end.

3 Likes

I’m going to need to do summing mixing and record the bands I work with. So, I will need 16 or more inputs and several outputs. I was thinking of Aurora 16T with a new module that they released that gives it 4 monitor outputs and two trs inputs (A24). Then I thought of the REDNet 16T because it saves some money, then someone told me that the old AM euphonixs are just as high quality as Lynx.

As for Apollo, only the x16 I understand has better DA converters. I currently have an Apollo twin duo mkII and there is something about the sound that I don’t love. I need more clarity to master, especially since in my job I have to deal with faulty audio very often.

I will study the Merging Anubis option!

Thank you!

Any of those will work. I recommend tracking what you need to first especially since it’s the band. Then do your levels and automations on the next pass. That’s where the benefit of summing comes from. Your pans, automations, levels will all add up in the end.

2 Likes

What’s your monitoring setup like?

1 Like

From your post i can’t really tell your level of experience with al the things you want to accomplish here. Recording and mixing and mastering… you name quite some techniques here. If your aim is the best quality just buying high end converters and a Neve the magic doesn’t appear’just by spending cash. Since you obviously have internet why you don’t start with investing to get quality recordings and mixes and send your final mix to a mastering engineer to start with.
Correct me if i misinterpreted your post or level of experience.
Do you record acoustic / electronic or both?

3 Likes

Greetings, nice day.

Thanks v00d00ppl and tubefund, I’m definitely going down that road. Very in love with the possibility of buying a NEVE summing.

hausland, my monitoring setup is Focal CMS 50 with a UAD apollo twin duo mkII system, I need more definition and space between instruments, its sound (UAD Apollo) I never liked. I spend too many hours composing. Start this thread to help me choose the best option in AD DA conversion.

I currently have a room made of 100-year-old wood, with many fiberglass panels and natural wool. It sounds beautiful, it doesn’t end up being a dry environment, but it is controlled and pleasant.

I have been 20 years composing the music and making audio posts for a team of documentary producers from a state university in Costa Rica. We have the 3rd largest free online compilation of educational audiovisual material. We have made hundreds of documentaries. I am the one with the sound.

Now, my experience has been guiding me through the years, in a self-taught way, regarding the technical part of the world of audio. We have many awards, but I always have to learn. So, despite some achievements, I would define that I am close to achieving good masters, but I don’t have the right equipment yet and I will always have to learn more along the way.

I never had a better converter than UAD Apollo, but when I hear the most professional ones mixing in the US (when I go) the sound is very different. Of course I need the experience to be able to work with the best conversion. First than any other gear.

I just don’t make enough money to pay for mastering services and save up for those Lynx, Neve, masterbus… and mics. I have to do the road by myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you for the detailed answer. I asked because the UAD Apollo Blackfaces actually have pretty good conversion, it’s already considered top tier conversion though not mastering grade. But if you don’t like the sound of the UAD Apollo then that’s what it is :slight_smile:

When you get to this class, it’s sort of more about sound signatures than about quality of sound…the quality of conversion will be very high across the board (as I said above, an Apollo is also considered high quality in that regard, so you’re really looking at flavour more than anything). Since you say you want a more open sound, from your list my only experience is with Lynx and I do find the Aurora to sound a little more open, wider, slightly better defined (for a lack of better words) than the Apollo 8 (blackface) – though personally I wouldn’t say it’s 1500€ better…but then I’m not interested in owning a professional mastering chain.

Personally I’d probably look at upgrading my monitors at the same time to see if this makes a difference to what you can hear so that you can weigh potentially new conversion vs better monitors. At the risk of upsetting the many fans of Focal monitors, I sort of find many Focals - and the Focal CMS line in particular - to sound a bit boxy/not so lively, but that’s just me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you considered the Ferrofish Pulse 16? Pulse16 with ADAT I/O - Ferrofish Germany GmbH
They also have a 32 channel version.

I’ve been using the Pulse 16 for about a year and have zero complaints. Really solid clock and transparent clean conversion. It also handles hot inputs/outputs very nicely. I use it for DAW loopback via external gear like analog EQs, compressors and preamps. I also have a bunch of synths and drum machines hooked up directly to a few of the line inputs.

4 Likes

How much difference in conversion will there be between aurora n and Antelope galaxy 32?

Hi there,

are you still happy with your ferrofish? I am thinking to buy one … My audient asp 800 is sent back for repair, one of the inputs has some intermittent distortion problems.
So now I am thinking to upgrade. I understand Pulse 16 has no preamps. How is that working for drum machines and synths? enough gain to go directly in ?

I am indeed. I pair it with an RME Digiface USB.

It has no preamps but has a lot of gain available for the analog inputs which can be set as required (either individually or in groups). Same applies to the analog outputs. Everything can be easily set via the front panel of the unit. I have 2 outputs going to my studio monitors via a passive monitor controller and other outputs going to outboard gear. The headphone amp is great and delivers a clean, loud and undistorted signal.

For the inputs, if you plan on recording with microphones you will of course need a preamp. For anything that is line level (synths, drum machines, guitar pedals etc.) you do not need a preamp (unless you want to colour/distort the sound). It also handles Eurorack levels very nicely.

There are 16 TRS inputs and 16 TRS outputs. The analog inputs of the PULSE16 can be set to different sensitivities in the range from -8dBu up to +20dBu in single steps of 1dB.

I have previously used interfaces/converters from UAD, Focusrite, Apogee, Audient etc. and to my ears I like the Ferrofish the best. It is my only converter now. The unit feels super solid and reliable. It may sound boring, but it is the most important part of my studio setup :slight_smile:

If you have any more questions, let me know.

2 Likes

Yes its super! You have gain control over each channel. I‘m using mine with Rme fireface and uad apollo x4 via adat. Works like charm! Monitoring via apollo and using rme analyser. Using the rme and pulse16 to records synths, modular, drum machines, eventide space pedal … all fine!

But there is a slightly difference in sound between sending audio from fireface via rme mixer / adat to apollo (with rme drivers) vs sending audio directly via apollo. But thats just for monitoring.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Antelope Orion for nearly a decade for my tracking and mixing converters and have never had any issues with them. Using a Lavry blue system for my monitor D/A and my mastering A/D D/A loop, also clocking the Orion. Lavry stuff sounds great

Thanks for replay ! This is relay helpful
have you try to control pulse 16 over midi , using app?

I have indeed. I tested it in the beginning but found the front panel so simple so I just use that.

2 Likes