Computer Video Game Recommendations

I had actually bought Dark Souls previously on 3 other platforms before it clicked on Switch. Until the Switch release I was repeatedly giving up after an hour or so.

Very frustrating games but the feeling of accomplishment when you beat a boss or complete the game is unrivalled. Really brings back memories of being 11 or 12 and playing through Mario World and the likes to the end. Back when not spoiled for choice and you felt obliged to persevere and complete games like Addams Family and Jurassic Park on SNES that you chucked Ā£60 atā€¦ :joy:

The ending to Jurassic Park on SNES is hilarious though. Worth checking out on YouTube just to experience how crap it is.

4 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s what everyone tells me when I express this. One dayā€¦

2 Likes

Give Bloodborne a try - itā€™s a tough game but donā€™t feel ashamed to coop if you get stuck, though there is a real thrill to beating the harder bosses solo. Great action and unbeatable atmosphere.

2 Likes

Sister Friede in the DS3 DLC. She took me soooo long.
Elden Ring does look great (basically looks like DS4) and will almost certainly be buying. I love DS1 and DS3 so much. Havenā€™t finished Sekiro or Bloodborne yet.

3 Likes

Yepā€¦Sister Friede made me quit for a few months.
This pause was a good decisionā€¦And after i came back to the game and defeated her, i could cry tears of blood with Midir.

2 Likes

God, itā€™s good.
Just rewatched the opening cutscene for the Friede Ariandel boss battle.
Totally forgotten it because you only get to see it once in the 100+ attempts :laughing:
So good.

1 Like

Funny that you say that, to me it had the opposite effect, it finally turned me into a casual/retired gamer. For many years after completing the series, everything I booted was quickly abandoned, because it all palled in comparison to what dark souls made me experience. It took something from me and replaced it with something else.

@xidnpnlss in a lot of ways itā€™s the octatrack of videogames :relieved:

And since this is a music forum: the music in these games is amazing as well. Even the many unused tracks that didnā€™t make it into the soundtrack(s) blow my mind.

8 Likes

Thanks for this.
Yuka Kitamura 's scores are so out of this world.
One of my favorite From Soft fight is Dancer of Boreal Valley :
The music is so hypnotic and the pace of the fight feels like being underwater.

Iā€™m a tedious fighter so iā€™m pretty used to loose and loose before victory, but the Dancer is one of those when i wasnā€™t frustrated by defeat (ā€¦and even lost on purpose a few times ) because it meant i could dance with her again and feel this ambiguous mix of beauty, danger, eeriness and grace.

4 Likes

Yea, infact Xbox game pass has a huge amount of subscribers because, to be fair to Microsoft itā€™s super cheap deal as you get access to new console exclusives on release day for free (except you would be paying something like Ā£120 a year for it) but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s sustainable without the price going way up in future. Microsoft has more money than they can spend so they can afford to offer a service at this kinda price. Iā€™m pretty happy with the PSN sub, still get 3 games a month and itā€™s slightly cheaper than game pass, and personally I donā€™t like halo, or Bethesda as a developer so I donā€™t feel like Iā€™m missing anything.

Which AAA did you work in, can you give me a hint? What developer even? Iā€™m curious as to what you did as a dev, Iā€™m assuming you worked in audio?

Man, when I beat lady Maria on my first try I was fucking shocked, but it was one of the best duals in the game, then I fought the orphan of kosā€¦my god what a battle. Took more than a few attempts but when I finished him off I felt like Iā€™d been hit up with an Immaculate speedball by God himself. Ecstatic adrenaline. Also can we just appreciate how good that DLC is?

Like I said earlier Iā€™ve played all the souls games now in a totally random order. I went on to sekiro which I think has one of the most amazing combat systems out of any game Iā€™ve played, itā€™s also just beautiful to play, wolf handles so well and platforming your way to a stealth hit will never not be amazing. Then I did Demon Souls remake which I think was probably the easiest and funnest when it gets going. Then DS3, and Iā€™m currently playing DS1 atm:

Infact I just beat ornstein and smough!

So should I play dark souls 2? It doesnā€™t look all that great to me, and j know it was divisive with fans. I just donā€™t like fighting knights and armoured dudes constantly, itā€™s dull.

I seriously canā€™t wait for Elden Ring.

1 Like

Is this game playable enough from computer keyboard, or does it really require a controller?

I donā€™t know i have test with controller.
But controls are limited so i think is possible.
The problem is that ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ fps cap @30ā€¦

Thanks. Iā€™ll try playing the game with just a keyboard.

Will be buying the Mac version.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome :wink: Her work is quite mesmerizing, I fully agree. If you are looking for more (Iā€™m familiar with the urge haha) quite a couple more of (her) unused tracks can be found on that channel and in other places. You might also enjoy the work of Alex Roe https://www.youtube.com/user/RoeTaKa/playlists who as made 2 dark souls tribute albums, 4 bloodborne tribute albums and a hand full of remix albums.

@Vacanthouses Play It! Itā€™s true that it probably isnā€™t the best in the series, and much of itā€™s criticism is valid, however the community, being the hyper critical bunch that it is, has kind of blown it out of proportion. (Its kind of amazing that it is what it is once you become aware of its crazy development cycle)
Itā€™s probably closest to demon souls structurally speaking, has quite a couple of cool/dope/interesting mechanics not found in the rest of the souls games, has arguably the best pvp in the series and the 3 kings dlc(s) are really realy good. The dlc(s) non-linear level design is much closer to DS1 and totally worth ā€˜ā€˜enduringā€™ā€™ the main game in order to reach them.

DS2 isnā€™t a bad game, but I donā€™t think it reaches the heights of the other games. Iā€™ve been thinking of playing the DLCs but just end up replaying DS3 or Bloodborne.

2 Likes

Zork

2 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed itā€™s always super cheap on the PS store, so itā€™s probably worth picking up either way (I think it includes all dlcs etc) Iā€™ve managed to avoid much of theā€¦letā€™s just call it what it isā€¦mad obsessive and sometimes toxic community, but I kept hearing people complaint about it, Iā€™ll get round to playing It Iā€™m sure as soon as Iā€™m done with number one. Iā€™ve never co-opā€™d any of them yet due to my friends being dull warzone addicts (I mean that in the truest sense, if it was possible they would inject it directly into their eyeballs.) which looks really fun, but enjoyed invasions, and invading in demons souls, I still havenā€™t done the old monk fight as an invader so Iā€™m gonna have to get back to do it. Iā€™m playing ds1 offline at the min because i keep getting booted off the servers, but Iā€™m gonna hopefully get into pvp in Elden Ring when itā€™s fresh for everyone.

I always found it interesting that the idea of hollowness extends outwards to its playerbase, from the fully hollowed and indeed quite toxic, full-havel-twink-gank-squads spamming exploits from their empty pownage based ā€œgit-gudā€ culture and mentality, all the way to players of real skill and honor who not only didnā€™t lose their humanity, but let it shine forth into the world. Players that adhere to a strong unwritten moral code and ethics, even following unwritten dueling etiquette that organically emerged from a game that doesnā€™t even support basic chat. :joy:

Might wanna double check which version you (want to) get

• Vanilla
  • Scholars of the first sin (360, ps3 generation) which is just vanilla+dlcs
  • Scholars of the first sin (ps4 gen) which has somewhat better graphics but also completely different item and enemy placement among some other changes and additions.

(Sorry to hear about your friends :pray:t2:)

2 Likes

What a great metaphor for the culture surrounding those series, it hadnā€™t occurred to me but what I really loved about bloodborne (out of the millions of thing I love about bloodborne) is that the main sub Reddit of hunters, for the micro moments is spent asking for help with rom or something, people would always be respectful and genuinely loved the lore and the game but without going fully overboard into gate keeping wankers. I also watched some great BB PvP when I was new to the series, and it was great to watch how these various ideals of being a good sport basically are decided by the community.

As for D2 im not certain which version it is altho im assuming itā€™s the PS4 scholar of the first sin, as itā€™s in their online store.

1 Like

Thanks iā€™ll check these for sure !
And to add my voice about DS2, i totally agree ! Iā€™ve not replayed any of the Dark Souls yet but the one i am the most curious to experience a second time is this flawed second chapterā€¦and i donā€™t really know whyā€¦

1 Like