Computer Video Game Recommendations

I’ve been getting into guilty gear strive on PC, most fun I have had with a fighting game in forever. The systems feel really open for creative options which is a breath of fresh air compared to many other fighting games that feel so focused on playing in the single most optimal way.

1 Like

Yeah the game in no way enforces/rewards you for being a good sport, it even included the tools and alignments to be a bad one. :joy:

Just don’t be like me and pay for buyers remorse by getting the wrong version because from software mislead you by not having a single :expressionless: reference between the two scholars of the first sin versions, on the box or anywhere else :unamused:

@NeonMelk Maybe because you either haven’t played the vannilla or the SOTF version yet? :thinking:

DS2 gets an unfair rap.
1 and 3 definitely better, but DS2 is still a good game.
It feels a bit more like a series of levels as opposed a complete world, and I feel it’s sense of identity is not as clear as 1 and 3.
But by anyone else’s standards, it’s a bloody good game. Maybe just missing that real Miyazaki magic from not having him as director.

2 Likes

@PurpleWizard , Well i’ve played SOTFS, but the thing is that i played all Dark souls back to back, so i remember DS2 as the “weird one” with portions i still don’t know how i feel about, like, let’s say…Shaded Woods or Bosses that were a nightmare to fight but that i found pretty incredible lore wise and in their design, like The Lost Sinner.

1 Like

Absolutely agree, when I think of “best video games” DS1 is always the first thing on my mind.

I know a lot of people hype up the challenge/reward/“git gud” aspects of it. Which is definitely a strong part of it. But it’s so much more than that… the world design, the map, the lore, the art style, the character design, the voice acting, the music, the way everything is interconnected in some weird not clearly defined way, it just sucks you in. Add on top of that the flexibility of how you can play through the game by doing areas in different orders and how that affects what kind of builds and character progression you can do. Also the divergent & alternate story paths, and way you as a person bond with this virtual world… Solaire bugs made me legitimately sad :sob: On top of all that the multiplayer aspect… I will always remember being newer at the game and getting invaded, holy shit my heart was pumping so fast I literally was worried I was going to have a heart attack or something. I’m sure it’s exactly what it feels like to have your home invaded in the middle of the night… that feeling that someone is invading your personal space and hunting you down to kill you. It’s not a good feeling but holy shit does it make the game feel real. And then on the complete opposite side of the spectrum, the comraderie, being able to help others and play as a team, like oldschool MMORPG’s, Everquest, early WOW etc.

Just a complete masterpiece.

The other games are good too but none of them seem to tick all the boxes in the way this one did.

1 Like

Dude I gave up when I could barely make it past the earlier parts of the game with the “harder” samurai guys or whatever they were. Back when I had time to binge play DS, I would have loved Sekiro I’m sure, but not having much time to commit, with how difficult it is, I lost interest super fast… maybe one day I’ll give it another try, it really seemed like a cool game aside from the combat difficulty

About Sekiro, you are right about the time factor because you have to get the battle mechanic and that means, time to practice (eventually)
But most of all, you have to let go your Dark Souls muscle memory, that’s the most difficult.
But once you understand the dynamic of fights in Sekiro, it is a rush.

I really hope there will be a similar approach to combat for Elden Ring, in fact, i’d be quite disapointed if we go back to the Dodge Roll Boogie.

I’ve not played Bloodborne yet ( …because …PC) ( …and that’s driving me nuts) but it is clear that to this day, Sekiro is my definitive favorite.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely give it another chance at some point!

Oh and Bloodborne is pretty cool. Surprisingly does not feel very similar to any of the DS’s (to me anyway). I would classify it more as a linear action game whereas DS feels more like an open world action RPG. Combat is way more aggressive and fast paced, but did not seem anywhere near as demanding as Sekiro in terms of precision needed to “get it right, or else you lose” (that could just be because I sucked at Sekiro lol) … Bloodborne is way more forgiving with the heal-back mechanic that rewards you for being aggressive. Compared to DS where you basically had to choose turtle mode or hyper dodge mode, and in either case play very cautiously, Bloodborne felt a lot more reckless which was hard to get used to

1 Like

The souls games somehow stay with me afterwards in a way few other games do. As if I have had an intense and memorable (but not always pleasant) vacation experience or something.

One of my best gaming experiences was early in Demon’s Souls. I had progressed far without finding a bonfire, had collected tons of souls and came to the bridge with a fire-breathing dragon. I remember how I thought “there is NO way I’m crossing that bridge” and that I had to pause the game to collect myself and consider my options. And then, eventually, hands literally shaking, try to make it across. That was the point where the souls games “clicked” for me, and I got why the difficulty and sometimes very frustrating gameplay was there. I think they manage to tap into something the old video games had that has been lost in most modern “move 5 meters - quicksave” games.

6 Likes

Your right that bloodborne feels different to play from ds, and I think the battle system in sekiro is just the natural progression from there, still I found sekiro maddening and it was super difficult at first, I managed to kill a load of mini bosses and the first true boss, and hit a wall with that stupid bull….literally spent months trying to get past it, getting unfairly taken out by how randomly it seemed to act and it was just too demanding….but eventually the whole game clicked and I realised I’d been playing against its kinda core concept really….

but back to bloodborne, it’s such a crazy RPG experience if you want it to be, but still simple enough as not to become bloated like some of the souls games. I think Bloodborne will always be my fave as it was my first, but I love how it rewards aggression and parrying, the rally system once you understand it can be the crutch of any battle. The boss fights are the most consistently great IMO, with second phases and multiple ways to kick their dicks off. I love the lovecraft themes, as well as the Shelly and bram stoker, Victorian horror vibe of the first few areas of the game before it goes all cosmic horror. The many secrets, weapons, clothes and areas to find (a couple you could miss entirely if you didn’t know) and utter weirdness of the game as a whole…I could go on forever haha.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was getting at with how they make me feel 12 again and giving it my all to finish off a game whether it was on SNES, Megadrive or whatever.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts is still ridiculous though.

2 Likes

I sunk so many quarters into this game as a kid. Can’t remember the two codes you could input on the arcade units though. Just remember them being “Power Up” (gave permanent speed shoes and rapid fire) and "Original Game’.

1 Like

Just started playing “Far: Lone Sails” and I really like it!

4 Likes

Wii U - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (great for 2 players)
Wii U - all Resident Evil rail-shooters (great for 2 players)

XBOX:
Resident Evil 7
Battlefield …2042 coming soon

1 Like

Really enjoyed “Out Of Line

5 Likes

:star_struck:

yep, great mood this one !

1 Like

I just got a proper GPU again (sold mine a while back only to find out no upgrade stock was available) as the price was ALMOST normal :smiley: I decided to try out the RTX update for Doom Eternal. It looks absolutely incredible. I actually didn’t like Eternal for the first several hours that I played it, but now I’m completely hooked. The game is tip top. :slight_smile:

It just took me a while to embrace the new mechanics.

I’m also about 75% into a new Hollow Knight run.

So… a second run because you can’t wait until Silksong or you’re just a masochist ?

1 Like

This one here “A Plague Tale” is one of my favorites, played it at least five times:

For those who have an optimistic pc system, it’s -70% on GOG