Computer Video Game Recommendations

For those who are bored with children games like the FromSoftware ones…
…Cuphead The Delicious Last Course is here.

Have you played Cuphead? I keep looking at it, haven’t got it yet. Not sure how boss fight oriented it is.

Resident Evil: The Village was epic.
Monster Hunter
Outer Worlds is a space RPG variation of the Fallout games
Assassins Creed Origins was great fun killing bad guys in ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome places.

Well Cuphead is a Boss Rush …so it’s pretty oriented for sure.
Cool thing is that you always have at least 2 bosses to fight in any order, so you can switch to prevent madness to kick too strong !

1 Like

I don’t know about new games but holy hell I am having so much fun playing Brutal doom.
If you haven’t heard of it,
There are a series of mods for Doom 1 and 2 (And any fan made map packs or .WADs) formally known as Brutal doom but now know as Project Brutality that completely and utterly overhaul the mechanics of Doom and if you’re at all a fan of Doom it is fucking incredible. Essentially it brings Doom up to speed with sort of modern FPS games (in all the good ways not the bad ones) while simultaneously cranking the violence, blood and gore up to 11, also cranking the difficulty up substantially. All while completely maintaining the core fun and gameplay of Doom.
It’s an incredibly impressive feat, it’s so good I can’t even play original Doom anymore.
I am telling you if you are at all a fan of Doom and don’t know about this it’s the greatest thing to ever happen to Doom since the release of Doom.

It’s all free online and I couldn’t recommend it more.

2 Likes

Cool thanks.
Shame, I love the aesthetic. But hollow knight put me off boss fights for the next 300 lifetimes.

3 Likes

The differences between the two games :

Some Hollow Knight Bosses makes you curl up in despair in the darkest corner of your room.
Cuphead Bosses are always fun even if you keep on losing (except one TBH)
Music helps a lot to keep the fun alive.

1 Like

Ah. Well that does make a difference. Thanks!

1 Like

Cuphead made me pull my hair out and now im bald.
frustrated and bald…
but its a gorgeous game

1 Like

The thing that really got me on the edge of anger in Cuphead were the Run n Gun sections.
But the general craziness and energy of Boss fights always made me smile while playing.

Hollow Knight…
Playing Godmaster once you have beaten the main game, you realize that most of Bosses are not that hard, except for a few like Radiance, Nightmare king grimm and Prince Zote.

Lately, the one Boss Rush that really drove me insane is Eldest Souls.

I still havent finished it! Got stuck on the watcher knights and my apathy grew and grew.

Put it down months ago. Moved on to other games. Currently lego starwars, skywalker saga. Which is ace.

Watcher knights are tricky but there are a few things that help :
-The chandelier trick
-Grubsong charm
-Descending dark spell

Just know there is way worse waiting for you if you want to obtain the real ending.
That said, you can still beat the game without going the long road, and it’s up to you to decide if you want the extra pain.

Hollow Knight is one of a few games when i had to put the controller for weeks and even thought it was impossible at some point.
DS III Ariandel DLC 's Sister Friede was a similar case.

I’ve got the true ending in HK, so it is in fact, doable.
But i Still haven’t complete the trial of fools in the coloseum !

Maybe this year before Silksong release.

1 Like

Agreed that modded old school Doom is incredibly fun. AFAIK, Brutal Doom and Project Brutality are two different mods with PB being a modified version of BD. They have differences in a number of areas, and both are worth playing.

Also, so interested folks know, the original Doom and Doom 2 files are available for cheap from GOG and Steam. Yes, Freedoom is available and can be used in place of the commercial wads, but I think they’re worth the (low) price.

Finally, the best overall source port seems to be GZDoom. It’s compatible with the most addons and mods and can do some pretty graphics, depending on what mods are used.

1 Like

Yea I was under the impression that Project Brutality took everything in Brutal doom and added tons too it.
Either way they’re both phenomenal and very much worth playing. Im also using gzDoom, I played though Doom 1 and Doom 2 with Project Brutality and it was so god damn good.

Im currently playing the TNT levels with project brutality, do you have any recommendations for map packs and .WADs? Not looking for any game play/graphic mods just good levels, any recommendations would be appreciated

For Brutal Doom/Project Brutality, I’d usually go with levels that are intended for vanilla Doom. I’m not sure if these fall within those parameters, but I’ve played and enjoyed with BD and/or PB:

Going Down
Doom 2 Reloaded
Scythe 2
Doom the Way id Did
Hellbound
Valiant: Vaccinated Edition (not totally sure I’ve played this one)
Zone 300 (short maps)
Zone 400 (slightly larger maps than Zone 300)

A few you might try without Brutal Doom/Project Brutality (which would screw them up):

ASHES 2063
Eviternity
Hocus
Pirate Doom
The Adventures of Square
Spectacle Creep
Winter’s Fury

You might also check out the add-ons that Bethesda is including with console and mobile ports of Doom and Doom 2 these days. Some of them can be run with a mod like Project Brutality but others, like Rekkr, should be run with no mods.

[Edited to clarify that the first set of wads I mentioned work well with Brutal Doom and Project Brutality from my experience.]

1 Like

Looking forward to my Steam Deck arriving hopefully end of next week. I don’t play my PC as much as I’d like, but this will be great.

From the sale I’ve picked up

Half Life 2 (for after I play black mesa)
FF XII
Grim Dawn
Disco Elysium
Vampyr

These are all to play portable. I have a large collection of others as well. It’s unfortunate I just got to imperial city in Oblivion on PS Now, and will likely start over on steam deck.

I love the idea of the Steam Deck, but my vision is pretty awful, and I wonder how many Steam games have been adapted to make sure their text and interfaces work well on the Deck’s smaller. For stuff like Caves of Qud, I feel like I’m better off playing on a larger monitor.

The Steam Deck probably does have some accessibility settings similar to the Switch’s magnifier, but that’s kind of a hassle with any game, even a turn-based one.

Fuck yea :metal:t4:Thanks dude, can’t wait to try all these!

Been a little bit quiet on this thread. Was just wondering if I was the only one who has developed an unhealthy Destiny 2 obsession to fill the post Elden Ring void?

not Destiny 2… Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak is ruining my life though.

2 Likes