Computer Video Game Recommendations

oh, yeah, Art of Rally is another little gem…
and if you like that, makes me wonder about some of the other titles you’ve listed :slight_smile:

btw: Wreckfest is another title that runs really well on Deck, that you think should not !
In some ways I think, the Deck is a good way to see which titles have been well optimised, and which just use the brute force power of the PCs.

Im trying not to get into any bigger titles at the moment… as Im really looking forward to Starfield, so want to ‘clear the decks’ a bit for that!

3 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Absolute Drift (same dev as Art Of Rally) and Star Drift evolution are far-reaching gameplay lessons. Check them if you are not afraid by pleasure.
I communicated for a long time and followed the development of Star Drift and Star Drift Evolution day by day and it was very rewarding.

2 Likes

Elden Ring is by far my favorite video game that came out recently well besides Cyberpunk 2077. I’ve managed to beat several major bosses and it’s such a work of art and great soundtrack. Fromsoft definitely upped the game even though Sekiro was fantastic as well. I’m waiting for the upcoming space RPG from Bethesda to come out that looks amazing.

It’s a really fun western rpg shooter game.

you guys are gonna make me get a Steam Deck lol…which of the three versions on offer would you then recommend one gets?

I picked the biggest one up second hand. Guy included a 512gb SD card so space wise I’m stacked!

I think the mid and high has theoretically faster read/write rates on the internal drive though likely not noticeable in real world use. They apparently also have better screens but that’d only be noticeable if outside or in very brighter environments.

Don’t think you can go wrong with either. The cheapest one + an SD card really is a great option. I’m just a sucker for “best” versions of things😂

1 Like

I caved and got Pixel Cup Soccer. Weekend was a blur thanks to this…. It’s a weird one. It’s not a great football game but it plays like a modern Nintendo World Cup that I had on Game Boy and that makes it great fun!

One question: due you notice slow down when heading the boy in the box? I can’t tell if it’s some artistic flair or a weird performance glitch!

yeah, it reminds me of playing soccer games on a Commodore 64 as a kid.
(hmm, or might have even been the Vic 20)

the thing is, these games were so simple in graphics, they had to focus on gameplay… so were simply just fun. of course, Fifa 23, or whatever, is technically better… but its nice to have some pick up n’ play games on the Steam Deck.

yeah, its odd, indeed its an FX, I think its designed so that you can get into position… or its to add to suspense, not sure.
iirc, there is an option to turn it off… something like ‘slow mode’

I went with the mid-tier, thats partly because I ordered within hours of release, just because friends told me ‘you need this’… but I really had no idea if I wanted it, or even wanted to get back into gaming. … and knew I could cancel, if I later decided against it.

so the two main differences that the higher tier has:

• matt screen
    friend has the 512gb its nice, but, I still quite like the gloss screen on mine.
    and whilst matt is theoretically better for outside, I know from experience with laptops, its way to bright here to use outside…
    of course, in other countries, that might not be the case, so could be an important deciding factor.

• 512 vs 256 gb internal SSD
    this is not really that big a deal, as @J0n35y mentioned, as Ive never seen a performance issue using the SD Card (surprisingly)… and frankly, with game sizes there days, even with 512gb, you are going to end up using an SD card still.
    Its also possible to upgrade the SSD, so some buy the 64gb, and upgrade with a 1TB SSD later.

overall, not ‘regretted’ getting the 256gb… extra space is not really an issue, and the screen would not have worked for me.

2 Likes

My friend keeps trying to talk me into getting a Steam Deck, but honestly I don’t think it would be that useful to me as I don’t need portable gaming at this point in life. Flashback to 2006 when my N-Gage QD was stolen - at that time it was probably a good thing, otherwise I’d have dropped out of the uni maybe.
I’m thinking of getting an eGPU for my otherwise capable laptop, has anyone gone this way? Graphics cards are dirt cheap nowadays, and I feel like by combining a thin light powerful laptop and an eGPU box with a 2070 or something I can get the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

as a parent with 2 kids, one of whom often plays on the xbox series x via the large tv in the house, the steamdeck has made gaming fun again. so easy to just lounge in bed next to the wife and play while she watches her reality shows.

the dock is quite nice too, i’m using it to mostly access my plex server for movies/shows.

2 Likes

Nobody is playing Mame here? I mean the arcade emulator. it has tens of thousands of vintage roms, from the classic to the most obscure videogames ever made in the last 40 years: Space invaders, Galaga, Frogger, Scramble, Outrun, Double Dragon, etc

https://www.mamedev.org/

5 Likes

Kinda for Neo Geo games.
Trash Rally, Cyber Lip and above all the fantastic Viewpoint…

4 Likes

I’ve been maintaining my ROM set for MAME since 1994. :smiley: (might have been '95 when I started…) It’s perfect as of the version before the current one. :wink:

I also run arcade games on my MiSTer.

I build arcade sticks on occasion too. I just wired up my latest one, and just have a bit of wood work to do before I can set the control surface into it. (joysticks, buttons, spinners)

8 Likes

Love Cyber Lip!

1 Like

do they make a stand alone arcade console with all these games? That would so fun to have in my game room. Have friends over to drink and game.

There are several brands. X-Arcade is one of them. I know a couple of people that have built their own. One of which had a keg-refigerator in the base with a tap on the side :wink:

3 Likes

Okay, I don’t play games very often anymore, as I spend basically all of my free time making music these days. However, I am really into caves and the legends that surround caves. Before I went back into making music full time, I was working on a novel about a cave legend. Anywho, just wondering if anyone has made any awesome games that take place in a cave or that has lots of cave scenes. This got me thinking back to old school games like Earthworm Jim. So, yeah, what cave games are out there?

that sounds awesome!

1 Like

Spelunker, Spelunky, Cave Story+, Terraria, Starbound. (all excellent too)

The Cave is fun too, but it’s less about the cave really, and more about the characters.

Caves of Qud is good too, but it’s like an early rogue style RPG, so you’ll need time and patience. I played it for a while, but eventually couldn’t do it anymore. :smiley:

3 Likes

Just googled “computer game cave” and that popped up :joy:

2 Likes