Computer Video Game Recommendations

For sure, and understanding that I pushed through 5+ bosses and a hundred hours and just had enough of always feeling back at zero again in a new area. Maybe I just got burnt out and will get back to it someday and it’ll
click. A lot of awesome about that game, no question.

3 Likes

Finished Elden Ring last night after beating final boss and took the Age of Stars ending with Ranni. Such an epic masterpiece!

3 Likes

I finished it with that ending after something like 240 hours play (I swear most of it on the gargoyles) and felt very satisfied. I went straight back in and started again on NG+, at which point I finally felt like I understand from soft games. I’ve stopped playing it for a while but I do kind of want to get every ending…

1 Like

Elden Ring was an interesting one. The only other From Software game I played before that was Bloodborne, which I loved.

Elden Ring is indeed a magnificent game, but I personally had some gripes with it:

-More than a few badly designed/incredibly clumsy boss fights
-Re-use of said boss fights
-The bizarre difficulty spike and scaling in the final act
-The fact that you have to work really, REALLY hard to get at what story is there
-Classic From Software design where you need to have a phone handy to look stuff up constantly

All in all I did really love it, but still. I also thought God of War: Ragnarok should’ve won GOTY, but that’s just me :upside_down_face:

I just got done playing through the Witcher 3 and expansions, mainly on steam deck. Getting into Vampire Survivors recently. Still gotta play Darktide :skull:

1 Like

I honestly think that this is one of the games huge pluses. I love the research you need to do with their games. And the community out there, particularly on Reddit is invaluable, fun and very helpful. But totally get why it’s not for everyone.

I do still think from time to time that Sekiro was the more satisfying to complete as I find it brick hard compared to Elden Ring but very few games keep pulling me back in like ER does. I still rank Super Mario World as the best game of all time but ER is creeping into that very top echelon of my favourite games. Runs SMW very close.

4 Likes

Definitely get that! At times I really enjoy the mystery/feeling of being happily lost. At other times I find it irksome. All in all I really love their games.

1 Like

All the hidden side quests add replay value to Elden Ring and I did use the book that has tons of maps and details on the quests. Highly recommend that and the wiki for Elden Ring.

1 Like

Thought I’d stick this here. Pun, wasn’t initially intended, but I’ve reconsidered that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Finished!

6mm anodized aluminum surface.
Sticks, Spinners, Buttons.
There are small wheels that can be mounted on those spinners, so I’m thinking up a config for Spy Hunter (and others)…

9 Likes

Not sure if this counts, but Castlevania III on original NES - I used the emulator on my Mac. Back in the old days when it was just a video game and not some muliti-player networked online subscription that pushed crappy political avatars and badges on the gamers.

Diablo: Immortal is/was on PC Beta. Free to play. I completed the main story (I think) and wont be grinding the paragon levels.

I’m looking forward to Starfield when it drops. That looks like amazing fun.

If you guys are interested in MMORPG’s, I would strongly recommend Guild Wars 2.

The first extension is free to play and you have a lot of content. The lore is quite rich (between medieval fantasy and steam punk), the main story is pretty good and the community is nice compared to other big MMO’s. Other extensions, 3 for now, aren’t really expensive.

The economic model is interesting: there’s no pay to win, you pay mostly for aesthetics or utilities and you can pay with the game money.

I play mainly the World vs World mode, even though I do enjoy the PvP and PvE modes.
Basically the WvW consists in a one week match up, 24h a day, where 3 servers fight over 4 huge maps for domination. It mixes large scale dynamic combats (often 30+ vs 30 players) and strategy.

I’ve been playing this game since the start (maybe 11 years or so) with big pauses but always glad to come back when a new extension comes out.

If some of you are willing to try it, hit me up, i’ll get you started. :wink:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/

i used to game way too much until few years ago, got barely time for it as a dad atm. got a bloated steam account which i barely open these days but the ones i come back to are (mostly) free and playable in short bursts.

ps. protip: if you are on mac there’s a lot of windows stuff (even 32bit on M1) you can run with https://www.portingkit.com

2 Likes

Brogue is really great

2 Likes

Best stay away from all the call of duty games then

Ever heard the Term whataboutism?

Whatever shit you are pointing at, some dude is always lurking round the edge point at Amerika and say „but they too“. To be honest, look at the world right now. Even with all its flaws. The world should be happy that there they have the US and that there are still people in power that are able to work together with other countrys. I don‘t wan‘t to live in a world where dickhead russia or china has taken over.

So yeah I will play Call of Duty. And I am able to reflect, thanx :wink:

Yeah, I’m sure the people of Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya are real happy to have had the US. And that’s only in the past 20 years. Let’s have a sense of proportion please, I’m critical of the war in Ukraine but Russia could drop nukes on Berlin and still not come close to the death and destruction that the US and its allies have inflicted on the world. It’s unfortunate that some only seem to care about imperialism when the victims are white…

On topic, I’m playing Infernax, it’s tough but very silly and fun. Good homage to the castlevania classics.

3 Likes

You forgot Vietnam and Korea. :wink: But in the End still what you do is Whataboutism. Someone points out an actual Situation and you want to debate Amerika? Why? Has nothing to do with Ukraine at the moment. And to make it even worse, it is in fact a whole different Story. Every war sees crimes on both sides, true. But the Russians systematically are raping and using war crimes as their means of going forward. And Vietnam saw a massive backlash in Amerika itself. Try to find such in Russia. You could go on and on with these Apples and Oranges comparision, but it´s bullshit. It´s just not the same. Even World War 2…but take your own History book. And don´t make it about white people thats lame in every way possible.

Used to play all kinds of MUDs back in the day. Also played Ultima when I came out. Blew my mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, you can compare that yourself.

Over 13 thousand arrests in the first two weeks of the active phase of the war. That means tens of thousands who weren’t afraid to protest in an oppressive authoritarian state.

Moreover, in the 2014 anti-war protests (when protesting was less dangerous, although not really safe already) had 10-50 thousand demonstrators in Moscow alone (20000 according to Reuters and AP). This is comparable to the biggest Vietnam war protests, and Russia has much lower population than the US.

Also I’m not sure about the degree of direct action protests in the Vietnam war, but in Russia it’s present, if underwhelming. In the first three months of the war, the amount of freight train derailings grew by 50%. Dozens of conscription offices were burned.

Sure, the backlash could be (and should be) even more massive, but compared to the Vietnam war it’s massive already.

Speaking of Vietnam and games, it’s a shame that Wargame: Red Dragon doesn’t have Vietnam. Would be stoked to play a campaign of a hypothetical second full-scale Chinese invasion.

Haven’t played it for an year already though (due to obvious reasons). But highly recommend to anyone who can play modern combat games these days.