COSMOS by Soma

Version 1.16 of the version that replaces drive with pitch shift. iirc.

The Cosmos looks lovely, but Iā€™m having a hard time wrapping my head around why I couldnā€™t just have two instances of Echoboy with slightly different delay times set on high feedback. Map those controls to a MIDI controller along with a pitch shifter and youā€™re there.

Of course you can say that about most anything, but aside from not needing a laptop am I missing something essential about what this pedal can do?

It does random stuff that two seperate delay lines wonā€™t give you. And of course you could do something similar with two delay pedals (with reverse and ping pong functions), a pitch shifter, a reverb pedal and some special pedal which can do granular delayā€¦ But with the Cosmos you have it all in one box which makes a big difference for me workflow wise.

And donā€™t forget the rhytmic firmware. You can mimic that behaviour with other devices too but with the Cosmos you get it on top of the other random looper texture stuff it does.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense. I actually love hardware and only use plugins as a replacement if itā€™s a fairly simple or static effect, but based off your description it sounds like thereā€™s a lot more to Cosmos than two delays. Probably a bit of a ā€œmore than the sum of its partsā€ thing as well.

Yes. I would say the core of it is based on randomness which can lead to new ways of playing and creating music with your instrument. But sometimes the outcome isnā€™t what i want or it takes a bit to get to a satisfying result.

2 Likes

Quick question for any Cosmos-nauts in the know.

Iā€™ve now got a couple of stereo pedals routed into the Cosmos.

I note from the manual that it is suggested not to bother running a stereo signal into the L+R inputs because it gets lost in the delay lines (so to speak).

I tried it and to my ear, it sounds like thereā€™s less of the ping-pong effect happening compared to just a single input.

Would this be what is meant in the manual?

Shame to miss out on the stereo from the stereo pedals, though it still sounds cool.

I noticed the same when I was feeding it with a mono send.
I use a stereo alt output from my desk to feed it now. There was less stereo width from a single mono input

1 Like

A little over a year now with the Cosmos and it continues to be inspiring and hypnotic. Simple and perfect at its job.

8 Likes

Lovely stuff, thanks for indulging us!

Iā€™ve thus far only used it for real-time call and response playing, which is greatly enjoyable. I can now see how effective it can be with pre-composed parts too, without turning into a Cosmos soup!

3 Likes

Haha perfect description for 90% of what comes out mine.

3 Likes

A little goes a loooooooong wayā€¦.
way long
long long way way
way way long long
long

way

waaaaaaaaaaaaay

etc :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes