Cryptocurrency

Would be of no use to me whatsoever if any of you suddenly decided to invest in planet watch now that i’ve cashed out.

sorry for this off-topic “rant”

his arguments and his thinking beyond scientific psychology are based on a very vague theorie from a guy called CG Jung, and he talks quite a lot, and he can sell himself very well, and people are buying what he is saying very eloquently

I’m quite sure, if you condense his words at maximum you’ll get some very basic statements from where you get an useful impression about his thinking - unclouded!

nothing against this guy, he may have some arguments about the world but i wouldn’t call this guy a world-wide renown intellectual as he is presented - there are others

once again sorry for this off-topic “rant” :slightly_smiling_face:

Are you claiming Carl Jungs teachings to be very vague?

2 Likes

Np. I’m just interested in decentralized finance and blockchain because I see a lot uf use cases where getting rid of middlemen from various processes and replacing them with trustless systems can bring a lot of benefits. It is quite common to see people label something a scam simply because they don’t get it.

Oh really?

Bitcoin is not a Ponzi scheme because it doesn’t rely on a central authority or promise guaranteed returns. There are no guarantees that it will always go up over time. In fact, Bitcoin extreme volatility demonstrates that it’s not a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes always go up, until they collapse

To be successful, Ponzi schemes require that transactions be hidden from both investors and regulators, which is the opposite of how blockchain technology works where all transactions are transparent and recorded and visible to anyone.
Bitcoin’s value is determined by market demand and supply, just like any other asset or commodity.

People worried with wealth inequality and environment should consider the costs and waste reduction (paperworks, food, efficient supply chains)and all the advantages blockchain bring to the healtchare system and so on and so forth.

no need to read every single paper, in fact I’m pretty ignorant too, just the basics. But I know that this is now the era where everyone feels entitled to make judgments on any topic.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of bitcoin, and I have not (yet) invested in any project, but that’s one of the key points. Banks are not only promising your money they are also using It for their profit.

at last you can’t proof them, it’s more an orientation for thinking and part of humanities

There is no value for me to be had in conversing with you further i feel.

but more importantly:

4 Likes

Bitcoin is not structurally the same as a Ponzi scheme, but the deflationary nature of most digital assets produced through a blockchain means they tend to behave like one, wherein late adopters drive value disproportionately to early adopters as the asset’s relative scarcity increases.

But there are so many other red flags around crypto.

One is that blockchain assets are often simultaneously presented as both a currency and an investment, but behave like neither. They are effectively non-functioning assets that rely on being a finite resource for their intrinsic value. You put your money into crypto…to put money into crypto. Unless you are engaged in buying and selling NFT’s, there’s not much to do with your asset than sit on it.

Another is the inherent fragility of the blockchain. It is fragile in the sense that a community can either choose to fork a currency when failed or fraudulent transactions occur…and this act can literally fragment an entire blockchain. It is also fragile for users. A digital wallet is almost absurd in its riskiness. For a platform that adherents loudly claim is so “secure”, just how prone even the most seasoned users are to fraud, hacking, or even just misplacing keys, is incredible. The whole “not your keys not your coins” argument is bandied about like it’s a feature of the blockchain rather than a bug. It’s seriously like hiding cash in the walls. It’s pretty embarrassing.

Another is the massive inefficiency of the blockchain. The Bitcoin ledger currently stands at something like 435 GB. As a proof-of-work token, this means that any and all full node required to execute a transaction need to maintain this ledger. Sure, there are newer approaches (proof-of-stake, proof-of-space, etc) but even these are resource intensive in one way or another. And in any event, the processing time and complexity off process means that the blockchain’s viability at operating currencies that might support day-to-day transactions is nil. The blockchain is just not really particularly good tech. It’s a big database.

Another is that so much of what crypto proponents argue for remains an idealist’s fantasy: namely that blockchain technology will fundamentally transform how information is managed across a wide variety of critical platforms and processes, such as for fair and open contract procurement, supply chain management, or healthcare information exchange. I have yet to see any of these emerge at any kind of meaningful scale.

Yes, there are reasons to be critical of traditional finance and economic policy. And Blockchain as an ideal presents a set of parameters that are very appealing: anonymous, decentralized, flexible for managing a variety of transactions beyond standard currency. But in practice it simply doesn’t live up to its claims.

9 Likes

I think you guys just suck at trading, most of you lot probably didn’t buy machine drums and mono machines when they were sub 800 bucks too?

Plenty of folks made a LICK selling old gear over the last little while, selling stuff they didn’t use and hoarded simply because they understood the future value and cultural relevance.

I’ll do the same with crypto :wink: Behringer can’t clone my ETH!!!

1 Like

There are plenty of ways to interact with blockchain other than trading and hodling.

For example, i have been doing all of these:

Wages paid in Crypto
Recieved and paid for multiple items
Selling my gpu power
Selling my cpu power
Running various nodes
Lending
Staking
Investing in startups for fixed ROI
Selling air purity data
IPFS hosting

And aside from that, Amsterdam smart city project is super interesting for its use of IOT network dev.

Lets be clear, your knowledge on use case is not very deep.

2 Likes

I actually read a ton of Jung in my early twenties. I wouldn’t say he’s vague, but he definitely was something of a mysticist, which is why I eventually bailed out. I wouldn’t say Jung’s theories are part of the humanities either. I’m happy to be corrected on this but my impression is that Jung is irrelevant in academia. There are no significant off-shoots or theories built upon his work. The only people taking Jung seriously are Jung Institute people and Jordan Peterson. Contrast that with Freud/Lacan who continue to be very influential in continental philosophy and critical theory.

Not sure what you are trying to say about the humanities. All of science, math and logic rests on assumptions that can’t be proven either.

I understand that one can do all of that of course….but those also are mostly things that can be done just as easily without the blockchain. I am referring to the promise of blockchain for transforming transactional business practices at scale. I am genuinely cystitis to hear success stories on that front, especially regarding reliability and transparency.

1 Like

Burny.

3 Likes

Negative. The Mankind project specifically uses Jungs Archetypes throughout all of their work, and they take it very seriously. Additionally, dream analysts refer to his work a heck of a lot, and a lot of councilors at least here in the uk i have found are allways very aware of his books, more so than Freuds.

I’d like to watch you try!

Nothing you described requires blockchain to complete.

My wages are paid in USD
I pay for items in USD
I donated my CPU power in the PS3 era (folding@home)
I can lend in USD
I can stake and invest in USD
I can collect (and sell, seems stingy tho) AQI data with USD
I can host servers in USD

So what’s the point of blockchain or crypto? It’s a solution in search of a problem. It’s the next step in financializing everything in our lives.

“Do X on the blockchain and get Xcoin for it!” “Get paid to do tasks in a mobile game to get Ycoin”

Why? Why? Why not make the current system better than inventing a weirder, more obscure and dystopic version of what we already have? Why create secret handshakes for basic human needs? Why create new hierarchies based around computing power? Is this what they meant by “revenge of the nerds?”

*Full disclosure, I bought and sold some altcoins to cash in on hype. I fully saw it as gambling. I dabbled in mining in 2020 before realizing it was unproductive (as in, no value was generated) and harmful to the environment.

9 Likes

Are you serious? I’ll take that bet

Edit: and please be clear on the parameters, how many years at investment banks and/or market makers and/or other financial firms is needed to meet your criteria? Is trading floor experience required?

Edit 2: I see that shill is suspended now. Shame.

1 Like

How much military and corruption is needed to maintain that USD value?

1 Like

I’m surprised there has been no mention of CBDC’s (centralised government crypto) in this thread.

Right now many governments are exploring/rolling out Central Bank Digital Currencies with the goal to move the financial system over to that.

CBDC could potentially come with many programmable caveats like: expiry dates on your money to stimulate the economy/ensure you can’t save. Automatic bail-ins when there is a need to raise money for a war or to bail out some corruption. Restrictions on what you can and can’t buy. Complete tracking of all your transactions. Etc.

On a Elektron related level, no more flipping gear tax free.

Frightening to be honest.

1 Like