Dancing, at my age

indeed :joy: :boom: we find it normal but i guess it’s not everywhere like this, we also have a very openminded rave / clubscene, nothing is weird

dancing is freedom :heart:

5 Likes

I hadn’t danced in like 22+ years or so. (Since my 90’s raving days…)

Went out to a Doc Martin release party in Seattle about a month ago, after not visiting a club in years, and danced all night.

I may be starting to return to that a bit. :wink:

3 Likes

I joined the mosh pit at an Agent Orange gig a few years back. Now, I am in good shape for my 56 year old body, but I learned very quickly that those “dancing” days are over.

3 Likes

Yea but some differences exist… that rave culture was new and likely those denim vest dudes were going to rock shows or whatever when they were younger. If you’re 40+ and go to some dance music event now it’s likely a genera that was pioneered or whatever by someone 40 or over and likely those 20 year olds are dressing pretty close to those into club culture around y2k. I remember going to hardcore shows in the mid to late 90s and seeing guys in their 40s (well who knows how old they were as I was 16 and everyone there seemed much older) who looked like they were still wearing the same clothes that they wore seeing The Exploited 10 years or so earlier at the same club. Hardcore kids back then were basically dressing in some current “hypebeast” style: Champion sweatshirts, cargo pants cut into shorts, 501 jeans, shell toe Adidas, Nike Dunks…etc.

But you know to the youth they invented everything…just as we did :expressionless:

2 Likes

Seeing Plaid in Brighton next week and there’s no way I’m standing still during that!

Turning 54 in a couple of weeks time and I still love dancing as much as ever.

3 Likes

I still ‘jig’ when the time is right…

2 Likes

Recently went out to an event that was a 30 year reunion party, lots of oldies there and danced for several hours. Richie Hawtin was the main headliner. Was the first one in years but we have these reunion and old school events come up from time to time with lots of people similar age group so don’t feel too out of place! Not something I do often but it’s a good way to blow out the cobwebs.

1 Like

55 here (56 soon), going out since 1981, and simply going to the clubs I am musically interested in — Drinking, smoking, dancing. I’m all about Techno if it’s about clubbing, and for the earlier nights going everywhere, I can find musical or cultural activities triggering my interests.

Changed my eating habits essentially at age 48, quit smoking & drinking for 6 months, lost 20kg, much better since, and kept a more healthy lifestyle with more sleep. I still love to start the night around 2 am, as I’m typically busy before and usually not in the mood for early clubbing.

Started DJing at age 53 and playing throughout the Techno clubs in the country I live — it’s been an important transition from the dance floor to the booth, and it pretty much saved my mind. It also brought me back to producing music and organizing events from experimental music to electronic music and Techno.

Keeps me running.

14 Likes

Don’t worry, these things aren’t mutually exclusive. :wink:

I’m 46, have a decent job, build synths on the side, and I’ve rekindled my going out again (within reason).

I don’t own denim vests though…

Still, managed to dance all night at the old Monkery for Doc Martin, hit a punk show on NYE (though, due to skinhead population, we decided to leave early from that show.)

Kinda fun going out again though, instead of just hitting the bar.

3 Likes

I’m 35. I don’t go out at night anymore. I like my sleep too much.

I only go to day parties or festivals. I don’t drink.

One of my favourite is Boom festival in Portugal. Techno and psytrance, the music only stops between 5 PM and 7 PM, which means that I can have my beauty sleep and hit the dancefloor right after.

Plenty of older people at Boom, nothing weird about people dancing in their 50s and 60s.

If festival commitments are too much, there are plenty of daytime action going on in Berlin. Another day party infested places are Koh Phangan in Thailand and Ibiza, Spain (here I’ve never been), but pretty much every European hotpsot has day parties, at least during the summer.

4 Likes

35 years here. I love going to gay or queer parties. People tend not to judge there. Wether sexuality or age or anything else. I also like dark dancefloors in general, to blend in with a crowd when I just wanna enjoy the music.

The late times are a different story though. If you’re comfortable being around a bunch of sweaty allnighters you could go to after parties or weekenders at daytime. That’s what I did on New Year’s Day :slight_smile:

My love of the music and specific artists I love tends to lead me to the right parties and helps for the right mindset of being there.

3 Likes

Ok made some research about UK senior clubbing :smiley:
Names, labels and events to look out for and I recommend reading around since the net goes on and on and its very interesting. These dudes knows their shit about the history of dancemusic:

Southport Weekender
Liverpool Disco Festival
Vocal booth Weekender(In Spain)
Andy Ward
Simon Dunmore
Defected and Glitterbox labels
Blackwax
Paul Griff

Horse meat disco comes to Leeds sometimes.

Vocal booth history

4 Likes

Beautiful doc about VB. Most seems to be in their 50s. Yes its in Spain but it started in Birmingham and I reckon its connected back home in alot of ways. I wanna go!

2 Likes

With the right substances in your body, you‘ll be dancing like your 18 again and feeling that way too…that or just go dance if it’s calling you, all good.

When I was in my 20s I loved seeing more experienced people in the club, on the dancefloor…it was always inspiring to have a drink with them, hear their stories & experiences, learn from them.

I tend to think „community“ when out and about more than „party“ - of course not everyone agrees, but surprisingly many do.

Also, host your own. Can be really great because you can determine the setting and vibe (ie scene setting) and invite like-minded people across generations to it.

I‘m all about cross-generational, don‘t like how we categorise and isolate (ourselves).

Good luck and enjoy dancing & being my man!

1 Like

3 Likes

Let’s go!

I would love too, I guess I should think hard about this. So many options/directions to go on, but reading above, and the links I found etc, seems there are a lot of more mature people who want to dance, in a welcome environment, and maybe be in bed before 1am. There is nothing like that in Leeds that I have found (from a few hours googling). Maybe a gap in the “market” to fulfil a communal need.

1 Like

H2O?

3 Likes

Gave it up at some point during my 20s. Had some fun times at various clubs/raves/etc back then but don’t miss it. 40 something year old me prefers different things.

My tolerance for H2O is too high in my old age. I’ve been on for too long, it doesn’t even touch the sides anymore. I get on it every day just to feel normal.
Although leaning over a steaming pot of H2O with a towel over my head is pretty good for a congested chest. Is that what you mean, using it to open your airways like a stimulant?

2 Likes

Well it has to be salt water as non is the same pH as your nose and will stuff you up more…but no, that isn’t what I meant :upside_down_face: