Dancing, at my age

scientists today reported very positive findings from a study into the effects of Ketamine on Alzheimer’s patients. One participant described the study as “banging”.

6 Likes

People dance on K? How?

1 Like

people_falling_over_gifs_06

6 Likes

more like

(from 5 Ways to Fall Asleep - wikiHow)

If I’m doing K, I want much more than a good night’s sleep.

1 Like

Self inflicted handjob and a week of work might do the trick at my age

Dancing was actually the only thing i liked the two times i tried K. But i was careful with the dose and outsiders might not have called it dancing. :slight_smile:

Absolutely!

If you’re going to see Plaid/TBD I have to imagine you’re conditioned for some pleasantly weird rhythmic churning.

That said, while “dance music” is a bit of a stretch, one of the worse audience experiences I’ve had was an Autechre show as a part of a local festival, since a “pass” let you get into every show there were younger folk who wanted to talk loudly over the band in the middle of the floor and wouldn’t shut the fuck up.

I guess at my age, we’ve got to be amped to leave the house and don’t GAF about being “seen” at the right events :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like this.

In the early/mid 90s two friends of mine were working at the Tunnel Club in Hamburg, so I was visiting them at work sometimes.

A couple of times there was this elderly man, wearing a suite or something nice. He would go to the club, have a drink, maybe a talk with another guest and eventually ask a lady if she wanted to dance.
Then they danced “the real old school” way for a song or two. Then he would thank her and move on (to another club).

None of us thought this to be silly or out place. Okay, it might have been unusual, if you saw it for the first time, but then you realized he had been a regular in the clubs for quite some time and it was great to see he was having fun and part of it.

Thinking back to the 90s, there were quite a lot of 30, 40, 50+ in the clubs and at the raves, mingling with us younger folks. Well, back then it was mostly the older folks organizing the parties after all.
At the outdoor raves they’d even bring their kids. So… I dunno. Dancing doesn’t seem an age thing to me. As long as we enjoy it, we can do it anywhere - be it the kitchen, a club or a festival.

4 Likes

have you seen tikTok or ig, people younger than you don’t even know how to dance anymore… Do what you like!

4 Likes

I’m about to hit 40 and whenever I go to smaller underground events I tend to be among the 3-4 oldest people in the room. I vastly prefer those to any 500+ person event or club. There’s some incredible zoomer talent right now especially if you’re not just looking for straight techno—which is cool every once in a while, but as I get older I prefer a bit of variety!

Disco naps really work if you can remember to take them. I also like to show on the late side. It’s good to alternate between sober nights out and getting properly shitfaced. Surprisingly makes little difference if the music is good enough. I never liked bars (and especially drunk people) but somehow have no trouble just finding a good-sounding corner of the room and duking it out with air demons until my body says it’s time to sleep.

In any case I feel that as long they feel physically able to, anyone making dance music has a duty to regularly get their ass on the dance floor - there’s just no better inspiration. I learned a lot about frequency ranges and separation that way!

1 Like

I have never in my life passed up a mosh pit, and I’m afraid I will never be able to resist the temptation until I come away with a severe injury. I’m old enough now to start worrying about that.

It’s a shame to think there will be a time when there are no more mosh pits in my future. It’s like chilling in the water while getting an intense massage. Nothing compares.

2 Likes

You could rent one of those Maldives villas, hire a DJ and bring along a dozen oldster friends and mosh in the pool.

Or do the same thing for less money and more alligator risk in a swamp somewhere. :thinking:

2 Likes

I am 54.
I re-started dancing at age 36, when I went to Burning Man for the first time. Now I live in Berlin, techno capital of the world. In the edgiest / most known clubs, there really is NO age discrimination. Neither by the bouncers nor among the people in the club. Of course, you should not come in grandpa garb or try to pick up 20-somethings. Especially when you’re an old guy like myself, they can smell the sweat of 90s rave culture and burnt transistors in synths. Some bouncers might test you a little bit whether you’d be a good fit, but you will be fine. And all of them are open Saturdays and/or Sundays during the day, which attracts a more mature crowd naturally.

Also, this:

3 Likes

“Fuck those guys!”