DFAM mind melting thread

Why are you selling it? I was actually considering getting it based on your posts in this thread!
(But can’t really buy anything right now)

I already have a Quadraverb, which works better for me as it has eq and pitch effects, which I find sound better with the DFAM. Also, I want shiny new things and something has to go for that to happen.

2 Likes

Perhaps you’ve made your mind up already but just in case you haven’t I’d issue a word of caution regarding the Disting. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing module and so flexible and powerful. But it’s the polar opposite of hands on… to get the best out of it you really need to have the manual on hand for reference (and there is a lot of scrolling!!) otherwise you can fall foul of it just sat in one mode for ages at a time. I know mines does. That said, if you’re OK with that aspect then it’s insanely useful to have.

Now, if I was sat with a DFAM and PNW in case with a spare 16HP I’d be feeling pleased that I bought a PNW because it really is the business! For the other 16HP, I’d be considering one of the Dreadbox Chromatic modules which are super affordable and really flexible - the Dystopia combines a noise source, bit reduction and two filters - HP and LP.

Then for the other 6HP you could go down the route of 2HP modules but they can be fiddly. Personally I think the Erica Synths Pico range are a better bet and you could fit two. The new Pico Drum 2 has a whole bunch of drum synthesis algorithims (that can also track pitch) and it would be sequenced well from the DFAM or even probabilistic triggers from PNW. Seems handy for the ol’ nosebleed techno. Lots of other options in their range… I’ve got the Pico Voice which has a slew of different synthesis types and is a pretty good alternative to the bigger whole voice modules (e.g. Braids or Plaits).

Ha! I definitely rambled more there than expected…

1 Like

Ramble away. I’d pretty much come to exactly the conclusion you’ve come to, more or less identical setup.
Then I priced it up and thought to myself “fuck that” so now I’m eyeing up an Erica db-01 instead.

I’m a fickle twat.

1 Like

What happened to this thread? It once had focus. Mind melting. Once it was all tunes and a bit of mildly amusing banter. Now its just eurobabble. Pish. No offence to the modular crew like.
I’ve been making more tunes last night. Bit more practice and I will post something.

all things perish over time

2 Likes

It’s my fault, I’ve had a week and a half of not really getting on my gear (decorating) so I’ve started my mind wandering off down eurodreamland.
You’ll be glad to know that I’ve removed the beard from around my neck and will be back to the bangers with almost immediate effect.

Noted. Remember the penalty for not posting bangers in this thread is being strapped to a post and thrashed with the Cat’O 1/2 inch patch cables. 909 lashes.

I’ve shaved my neck, not my back.
Your lashes are no match for my back thatch.

I really like the 3 semi-modular desktop Moog rig and I think it would be a fun jamming station (DFAM, mother 33 and subharmonicon). I’ve ordered the subh and mother 32 to go with my DFAM and now I need a couple of pedals to flesh it out, but I’m struggling a bit to figure out the configuration. My mixer only has 1 send and so I’m thinking that I’ll put the reverb on the send and send the DFAM through the delay. Does this sound like the best option?

I’ve not really fucked with reverb too much with the DFAM. I’ve mostly been using it directly into a delay pedal but have used it with a Quadraverb on a send (but only with delay, eq and flanger, no reverb) and that’s probably how I’ll be using it going forward. I currently have all my reverb on the Lyra 8, but I’m getting an Erica DB-01 next week, so will probably change things around again. My mixer’s got 2 sends though, so I’m pretty flexible.
If I had the 3 Moogs and one send between them I’d probably have delay on the send and reverb just for the SubH. I’d probably invest in a flanger or some other mod FX as well for the DFAM.

Cheers. I’ve edited it to say dfam through the delay (which is what I meant…)

I’ve watched this video a few times and it really is great. In the comments the performer says he runs the master out of his mixer through the delay and reverb pedals. I was under the impression that doing that would create a muddy and complicated mix. Does anybody do something similar? To me this jam sounds great and definitely not compromised.

Today’s all DFAM jam. Some help from a Meet Maude delay and of course OT.

9 Likes

I have reverb pedal as a send on my mixer.
DFAM goes through a carbon copy delay pedal.
I use reverb on most things. But not DFAM. Personally I dont like it.
There is no ‘best option’, just do what ever you think sounds good. If its sounds crap, it is.

3 Likes

DFAM + Analog Keys => Analog Heat => recorded in Logic Pro

2 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed your stuff in this thread, and you mentioned Quadraverb earlier as well, so I have been keeping an eye out for a cheap one.

This rather interesting one came up: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/362771902348

If I had money to throw after nostalgia I might’ve gone for it! I loved the guy’s work with Joy Division, so would’ve been cool to own his.

That’s a lot of money for a Quadraverb, you could buy three of them for that! I’m a big admirer of Martin Hannett and there’s some lovely stuff on sale from his studio there but luckily most of it is well out of my price range.
I would definitely recommend the Quadraverb though, it sounds wicked, real crunchy and digital in a way that all the best 80’s gear was.

Why not consider a OTO Machines BIM?

My guess is it’s because Oto Bim ~450€ vs Quadraverb ~100€. Both can be awesome though!

2 Likes