DFAM mind melting thread

Good stuff!
Last night I was connected a DFAM VCO CV out into the Lyra Voice CV in…

Pretty much my entire workflow for the last five years is noodle around until it takes on a life of its own, when it feels like they are playing all by themselves, thats when I hit record.

4 Likes

My Subharmonicon should arrive this Wednesday. Seems like a DFAM (or two) and one of those cool looking stands might be a cool thing to have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DFAM front and center in this one, once again. This time I ran many of the DFAM loops through the Lyra-8 and the one Lyra loop that’s in here was triggered by DFAM’s velocity out into Lyra’s Hold Gate. Not the best take yet but it’s in the ballpark. I like these served a little raw anyway.

10 Likes

Nice dense and raw.

2 Likes

Nice that, got a real sort of Chemical Brothers vibe going on.

2 Likes

I think this one’s got a couple more takes in it before it’s finished but I like where it’s headed. Except the start, which is characteristically slow as fuck to get going.

11 Likes

What knobs did you use on the sequencer?

Bloody hell you must have been in a good mood. Nice crunchy fuzz blanket.

1 Like

They’re the DFAM upgrade knobs from Thonk: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/moog-dfam-knob-upgrade/

2 Likes

What’s the arp-like thing and the bass in this one? Are all drums DFAM? The hats also? A lot of great elements in this track, a nice balance of calm and hectic.

On another note, got myself a Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 for 260€ second hand. Should be here tomorrow!

1 Like

The random arp is the Erica Bassline (with significant support from Quadraverb), the hats are from the Digitakt and the bass and stringy pad are the Digitone. The rest of the percussion is DFAM and the Lyra 8 is adding texture throughout (as well as the strange bit at the start).

I almost bought one of them myself, but 260 is an absolute steal.

3 Likes

Second listen at home on proper speakers.
Mate its really good as is. I wouldnt touch it. Very nice indeed.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I’m only looking to change the arrangement though. I’m very happy with how everything sounds. I’m just a bit unhappy with the first minute or so, I think I can make it a little better.
Obviously this relies on firing up Lyra and something vaguely similar coming out of it, which is probably 50/50.
The best (and sometimes worst) thing about the way I record is that it captures the energy and performance very much of the moment. This can be bloody hard to recreate with things like the DFAM and Lyra so there’s always this tension between performance and arrangement. I’m slowly learning to exploit and control this tension as I get to know my kit better, meaning more complex arrangements are increasingly possible without losing too much of that immediacy.
I still have no idea what is happening sometimes though, but then that’s usually the best stuff.

3 Likes

Very much the same with me, and can imagine with a lot of people with DFAMs. Probably the best thing about DFAM (and also Lyra) is that compared to any other instrument I have it’s relatively easy to achieve that flow feeling jamming with it. Has given me numerous nights of hilarious one-man raves. The only con is, sometimes something that sounds absolutely kick-ass, won’t sound quite as good the next day when you listen to it with fresh ears and sort of without the energy that is present while ”performing” the song. That’s not a huge downside though ’cos I do this for fun anyway.

7 Likes

I totally agree with this. they are very ‘of the moment’ synths when you jam on them. There is always something new comes out of both depending on my mood.

3 Likes

nice track @fin25! I think I’ll crack open my DFAM tonight. :slight_smile:

Can you explain how you clock the DFAM with the Digitakt? I’m struggling with clocking the DFAM… When I patch MIDI into my 0-Coast, then patch 0-Coast clock out to the DFAM Adv/Clock, the DFAM on the quarter notes… which is not what anyone would want…

DFAM is does not do MIDI. a single pulse advances a single step. midi does alot of pulses per quarter note. you need something like a mutant brain to go from midi clock to DFAM clock

1 Like

Thanks for listening. Never a bad night in with the DFAM.

I’m running the Midi out of the Digitakt into the Midi in of the Erica Bassline to sync the Bassline to the Digitakt. I’m then simply running the clock out of the Erica Bassline into the adv/clock of the DFAM. Off the top of my head I think the DFAM clocks at 4ppq, which is apparently the same as the default clock out of the Erica Bassline, as it worked first time with no problems. Lucky me, I guess.

1 Like

hmm, very lucky… the 0-Coast sends 1 ppq …