DFAM mind melting thread

So nice.

Nice video as well.

1 Like

But the combination of instruments, FX and the mix you have set up makes for an incredible sound. Lovely.

1 Like

Nice! This thread just continues to deliver.

1 Like

Finished, polished version which, as usual, isnā€™t as good as the originalā€¦

2 Likes

I prefered the first version. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I knew you would, and I think I do to. Proof that trying to get something ā€œrightā€ is pretty much a waste of time with such an immediate setup.
I think the second version would sit better on an album amongst other tracks, but the first has that raw magic about it.
I might post the other 9 takes, just to illustrate the folly of perfectionism in live electronic music production.

4 Likes

Yes itā€™s a pain!!

Moog marketing to make us buy a mother 32

Heres why.
The first one had a really good intro. Nice weird Lyra noise, strings, bassline, hihats. The order of appearance gives a very nice set up of characters in the story. The erica arp is doing its thing all over the place, and the DFAM beat holds it all together. I also think the mix was better in the first one.

Where as the second one felt disjointed, even though it wasnt. Like it made sense, but the first one told the story in a more convincing way.

I know dude, I did a track last year for a label and it is anything but perfect, dozens of takes later and I just coulnt capture the same feel of the one that was sent as a demo. So I just went fuckit, the demo is the one. They mastered it, it went on the complication, mistakes and all. Go figure.
Proves a point someone one made years ago when I played in a band, " the audience cant hear your fuckups"

4 Likes

I completely agree.

Itā€™s like the more takes I record, the more life I suck out of it.
The first take is all the machines doing their thing and me just holding on. Every take I do after that Iā€™m taking more and more away from the machines, who are obviously better at it than me. I think Iā€™m just gonna trust them more.

4 Likes

To be honest, all eletronic music is just knob twiddling really. Be they real knobs or virtual ones. :wink:

2 Likes

This one is from a while ago, but features DFAMā€¦ twice! Theres a sample and live DFAM. The rest is TR8-S and Octatrack.
Recorded live in one take as is my want. Bit happy and plain, but the mix is alright.

9 Likes

That is nicely mixed. I like how well the bass sits in the mix, itā€™s there, but itā€™s not taking the focus away from all the nice little percussive details. Kinda takes me back to my clubbing days. I like how the DFAM is snappy and woody all at the same time, youā€™ve captured that really well in this track.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Iā€™m not a dog person (in the sense that I donā€™t have one), but when the DFAM enters the song, it feels like something is telling me to SIT! So I sit.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll take that as positive feedback

4 Likes

More of a skater myself. But that was fully gleaming the cube.

1 Like

I was never a BMX guy, always ridden Mountain bikes. My wife named the track, no idea where she got it from, probably some 80ā€™s nostalgia bullshit.

1 Like

Totally radicalā€¦ dudeā€¦

1 Like

If I show my wife that picture sheā€™ll probably have to go and have a lie down or something.

3 Likes

images (5)

Show her this alongside some DFAM bangers, Sheā€™ll have paroxysmsā€¦

2 Likes