DFAM mind melting thread

:joy:

1 Like

What modules are you guys hooking your DFAMs to?

I have a DFAM and an empty 60HP rack which I need to fill.

Oh and I have an A4 which is perfect for syncing DGAM to my midi gear.

I was thinking about:
-LFOs
-S&H
-attenuators
-pre amp (for amping audio for the audio input on DFAM)
-Mixer (for CV)

1 Like

Iā€™ve so far managed to avoid getting involved in eurorack but if I was to dabble Iā€™d be looking at a Pamelaā€™s New Workout.

2 Likes

Same as @Fin25, no eurorack. Sure, theyā€™d probably expand DFAMā€™s possibilities but itā€™s not like Iā€™ve exhausted it as a ā€™soloā€™ instrument any time soon. Iā€™m syncing DFAM with an A4 as well, and then DFAM usually goes through a delay pedal into my OT. Lately Iā€™ve been sending DFAM through the FX of my Lyra-8, and that you can also get as a module version.

Iā€™ve been patching my DFAM up with my 0-Coast. Use either DFAM sequence to create basslines and melodies on the 0-Coast, patch the 0-Coastā€™s slope circuit into different patch points on the DFAM, or the sample hold ā€¦ Iā€™m finding lots of great sounds.

Check out loopopā€™s YT video on DFAM + eurorack.

2 Likes

I too am eurorackless.
I like to run my DFAM into Lyra, or through a delay pedal, or sometimes, into Digitone.

you need a quantiser to harness the outputs of the pitch and velocity sequencers

Blasphemy!

3 Likes

Heresy! False! Burn the Infidels!

1 Like

Nothing wrong with a little foreplay to set the mood :wink:

I believe there are good and bad listeners just as there are good and bad musicians. A good listener will give up control and expectation and let the music guide them where it wants to go.

Thatā€™s one reason I make music, sometimes nobody else seems to go where Iā€™m interested in going.

Anyway, Iā€™m really enjoying these DFAM jams!

1 Like

On the other hand people experience art differently.

True, but Iā€™m speaking in terms of people delving into a track or album with preconceived ideas of what itā€™s supposed to sound like based on genre, instrumentation, previous output and such. And then not giving it a chance or allowing it to be what it wants.

1 Like

haha!

A somewhat heavier/noisier DFAM track, this one. Lyra-8 also involved.

edit: Sorry, thatā€™s bassy AF.

4 Likes

I understand, the nature of listening is definitely different i was suggesting. We are bombarded with media and going one full album at a time and being active listeners requires a different mindset than is common in 2020. Hell, itā€™s hard to relax at all sometimes, iā€™m terrible at mindfulness.

I barely have time to listen to my friendsā€™ content :frowning:

1 Like

Yessss, SSL SiX and DFAM shipping today :slight_smile:

Time for some wickedness soon!

5 Likes

So I paired the DFAM with another DFAM, which was a good call. Then I clocked the two from the Subharmonicon, which can send its squiggly rhythms out, and it turned the DFAMā€™s 8-step sequencer into a weird 4-bar loop. Absolutely great combination. Hereā€™s the results. (Gets more mind-melting toward the end.)

18 Likes

The 2 x DFAM combo continues to melt my mind (even if it doesnā€™t get mind-melting in its sound until the end of the song). My current favourite is setting one to kick & snare, and the other to hats and bells/chimes (when the decay is increased). Really thinking about getting the MAFD now!

Also, itā€™s now basically impossible for me to use the DFAM without wanting to put the Empress Multidrive on it. It brings out the lows and the snap, and also increases the saturation without compromising the sound. Basically a perfect pairing with the DFAM.

10 Likes

Oh this is great! Iā€™m still pretty sold on the idea of adding a drive for the double DFAM setup.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Ok I need to do more with random CUE out trigs because towards the end of this little sketch things get real fun:

1 Like